PDA

View Full Version : Help w Windows Issue.

GrayGhost
04-06-2014, 06:09 PM
HELP please. as many know. I have had financial issues, tho Im working for a few more days at least. Im concerned bout this XP windows garbage. Some places say I need a new computer, some just the Windows 8. I can't afford this stuff. Are there any computer experts out there who can let me know what my risks really are and what I could do? THANK YOU. u can PM if u want.

Scott

rjackson44
04-07-2014, 06:47 AM
Scott I went out and got an I pad tuff issue to resolve. ..my I.t guy told me to get new computer I feel for you it sucks

DaClyde
04-07-2014, 06:51 AM
Windows XP isn't going to suddenly make your computer explode just because Microsoft has ended support. Just keep your antivirus and antimalware software updated, keep Java and Flash patched (if you use them) and you should be fine. Nothing has really changed since last week, there just won't be any more patches for the operating system.

However, the longer you stick with XP, the harder it will be to find software and hardware that will still work with it. If that isn't an issue for you, then don't worry about it. Whenever you can scrape together $200-$300, you might want to pick up a newer machine.

timzcardz
04-08-2014, 07:45 AM
Also note that should you decide to upgrade Windows, or to e new machine, there is a possibility that the other hardware, like printers and scanners, that you currently have may not work with the new OS.

Care to take a guess at how I know? :mad:

Paul S
04-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Also note that should you decide to upgrade Windows, or to e new machine, there is a possibility that the other hardware, like printers and scanners, that you currently have may not work with the new OS.

Tim, you're on Long Island? Come on over and we can mix and match and trade hardware and software and driver updates:)

DaClyde
04-08-2014, 08:39 PM

In that case, should you get a machine with Windows 7, you can download "XP Mode" from Microsoft which basically runs XP in a virtual machine, allowing you to install and run old software and still use old hardware. I use it so I can still run Instant Photo Scanner for scanning cards, as well as a couple of older games.