PDA

View Full Version : Ted Williams W183 Bat-Need some help

daves_resale_shop
04-06-2014, 11:44 AM
I picked this one up at an estate liquidator's shop in Mass today...
In doing some google research on my way home I realized that this is a model that Williams used...

bat measures 34&7/8-35" from end to end, I weighed it on my dad's mini scale (which may be off) and it tipped at 31.4 oz... the bat has a hairline crack that runs from 6" on the handle about 20" just past the brand label... The crack has been crudely repaired with 3 small tacks and then taped over (seems like an old restoration)...

Knob is 2" wide and says "w183"

Bat has seen better days marks on the barrell, some grain seperation on the reverse... dings throughout, a few ball marks still noticeable and some nicks that would be consistent with that of a metal cleat

so here is the golden question, could this be a William's gamer?

As Always, I really appreciate any opinions.
-Dave

yanks12025
04-06-2014, 12:31 PM
He did order that model and length during the mid to late 1950s. So it's probably a bat made for him. But whether ted actually used it, no one will know. I don't think he taped his handles.

Could you post a better picture of the center brand, specially the left side.

daves_resale_shop
04-06-2014, 12:34 PM
Thanks Brock, the tape is there to cover secure a crack along with a few tacks...

MGHPro
04-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Nice bat

daves_resale_shop
04-06-2014, 09:01 PM
I appreciate the help thus far... a pretty exciting day to say the least...

I have removed the tape and have removed the majority of the residue with lemon oil... (what a pain in the A*&)...

Handle appears to be shaved down, has some indentations (looks like frome a wood plain to me) a few other interesting scratches and scourges...

If there are any other thoughts or input as to whether or not this bat is gamer I would certainly welcome them...

also looking for opinions on whether or not its worth my while to have it restored...

Thanks in advance!
-Dave

MGHPro
04-07-2014, 05:47 AM
Could possibly be a gamer.. The scored handle is a plus.. the lack of 9 on knob and any pine tar detract.. its most likely a 1960 bat.. Its going to cost several hundred, maybe 1k to get the handle done right. And yes, getting white tape residue off is a real pain but you did a good job.. just watch how much oil you put on it if you plan on restoring.
Matt