PDA

View Full Version : House fire turns Sweet Caps Green and Badgers Lose

frankbmd
04-05-2014, 04:55 PM
Interesting response from this seller after pointing out that his cards were not "original".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181368282783

"they are. I had them ch3cked out. they are just very discolored from a house fire"

I guess his 100% feedback proves that I am full of it.;)

The Upper Deck card in the background looks authentic though, but I'm not sure about the thumb.:eek::eek:

Bored5000
04-05-2014, 05:22 PM
IMO, the seller is missing the boat by including scans with specific prices instead of using the decription's "$$$$$" to visually place value on the cards. The cards are worth five dollar signs and have attracted only $4.25 in bids so far? ;)

Leon
04-05-2014, 05:23 PM
nice cards.....for poor fakes.

iwantitiwinit
04-05-2014, 05:28 PM
The fakes always have the longest descriptions. How about this. I singed these cards to try and commit fraud. Getting real tired of all this misrepresenation. He's also selling some similarly singed goudey's that must have been one helluva fire.

Pat R
04-05-2014, 05:56 PM
Frank, I sent him few messages when he first listed these. These are his exact responses in order:

"no they arent. they are originals i have the reprints and they are totally different"

"trust me they are not reprints. the are miscolered badly. all they make of
these say reprint. or they have a story stating how much the sold for at an auction the paper they are printed on is from the error too."

"ive sold these before. ive gotten word from a reputable dealer that they are real but with discolorstion due to sun and what looks to be fire damage."

Needless to say I gave up after the third response.

P@trick R:omo1o

slipk1068
04-05-2014, 05:57 PM
Goudeys look bad too

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Goudey-lot-of-5-cards-Originals-No-Reserve-High-Bv-/181368289729?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2a3a6479c1

npa589
04-05-2014, 09:49 PM
Ok, so this stuff really bothers me...as I know it does all of you. Now, I just got done watching Wisconsin lose ---- %&%*& %&**% &**&% *&%*& *&*%*&%*%, so this may have affected the harshness of my message. I'm a Badger fan...yes, grew up in Racine, WI. ANYWAY, I'm not necessarily in the mood to be gracious to these kinds of people, so here is my message. A little harsh? Your thoughts?

Either you're a liar, a scam artist, or you really don't know. If it's the former, then you are a pathetic, worthless, scum-of-the-earth candidate whose value to this world will only be realized when someone makes money off of your funeral.

If it's the latter, scratch that stuff, really,..and heed the advice of removing these from eBay. They are as fake as fake gets, nothing is "original" about them. They are Dover reprints.

the 'stache
04-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Now, I just got done watching Wisconsin lose ---- %&%*& %&**% &**&% *&%*& *&*%*&%*%, so this may have affected the harshness of my message. I'm a Badger fan...yes, grew up in Racine, WI. ANYWAY, I'm not necessarily in the mood to be gracious to these kinds of people, so here is my message. A little harsh? Your thoughts?
[/I]

I've been cursing at my television for the last ten minutes. :mad: Wouldn't you know it, we miss one free throw all night making it a two point lead instead of three, and Kentucky hits a three to win it.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I'm not going to sleep well tonight. Not at all.

jcmtiger
04-05-2014, 10:07 PM
I've been cursing at my television for the last ten minutes. :mad: Wouldn't you know it, we miss one free throw all night making it a two point lead instead of three, and Kentucky hits a three to win it.

Sorry Wisconsin fans, my son graduated from Kentucky, so we are happy. It was a great game for both teams. Glad to see a 7 and 8 seed playing for the Championship. By the way I live in Michigan, so it was tough the other night.
Michigan vs Kentucky.
Joe

npa589
04-05-2014, 10:35 PM

Whatever you do, don't think about the 2 block calls (maybe even the third one) that were actually charges all called on Traevon, causing him to sit and only play 22 minutes. Also, don't pay attention to the ball that was stripped towards the end of the game, yet somehow called a foul, resulting in another foul and a 3 pt play. All-in-all, the officiating has been horrendous, but the calls against Wisconsin had a lot more affect on the momentum than the ones on Kentucky. There was one trip where, seemingly, the refs were catching Wisconsin up in fouls. They called 4 fouls on one trip down....

npa589
04-05-2014, 10:35 PM
Back to the thread, here is his message:

first off keep ur yelling to urself. THESE ARE NOT REPRINTS AND DOVER REPRINTS SAY DOVER REPRINTS ON THE BACK! I HAVE SOME! If u had these cards in ur hand you would see. PICTURES DO NOT SHOW because u cannot feel them and see the quality. THESE ARE NOT FAKE! So no,,,, I will not take them down. Im an honest seller. And just because I have not gotten them graded, does not mean they are fakes. Im tired of people telling me, when in fact I know they are real because they match others I have gotten graded by PSA and sold before. So thanks, but I dont need your feedback

freakhappy
04-06-2014, 01:55 AM
Sorry Wisconsin fans, my son graduated from Kentucky, so we are happy. It was a great game for both teams. Glad to see a 7 and 8 seed playing for the Championship. By the way I live in Michigan, so it was tough the other night.
Michigan vs Kentucky.
Joe

How one can root for such a corrupt coach like Calipari is a mystery...it's like supporting someone that doctor's cards for a living...ugh.

That being said, it was an awesome game. The seedings in the tournament were a joke. When an 8 and 7 seed make the finals, something's wrong. In the end, it seems like neither team was deserving of their seed...and it begs the question...where the f**k were these teams during the regular season????????????

Oh yeah, horrible reprints and Nate, I love your message to the seller...he deserves it either way

kcohen
04-06-2014, 05:36 AM
Not to mention that, in his description, this jamoke calls them 1911 Topps T206 Tobacco Cards.

soccersaver97
04-06-2014, 07:00 AM
I sent him a message to measure the cards because the borders are way too large. I told him that if the cards measure even 1/16 of an inch larger than an authentic card that those two are fakes. I had to focus on the size to avoid being hit with the house fire response.

frankbmd
04-06-2014, 07:30 AM
I sent him a message to measure the cards because the borders are way too large. I told him that if the cards measure even 1/16 of an inch larger than an authentic card that those two are fakes. I had to focus on the size to avoid being hit with the house fire response.

Don't get your hopes up. It is a well known fact that cards increase in size during house fires. Full disclosure should also have included that these cards may have been "soaked" by that fire hose that saved them, or worse yet the cards may be suffering from possible exposure to a chemical fire extinguisher. The bidding this morning is also heating up for these gems and currently stands at $35.99:eek: with over 5 hours to go. I wonder if any snipe bids have been placed.

I have also just checked and the Badgers are still one point behind.:eek:

Eric72
04-06-2014, 08:07 AM
Like a few others, I sent him a message to let him know the cards aren't genuine.

There are less than five hours to go before this auction is scheduled to end. It should be interesting to see what happens.

Bocabirdman
04-06-2014, 08:50 AM
I didn't bother contacting the seller. Instead I went directly to reporting them as fakes to eBay. That way we KNOW we will get action.:eek::D:):(

cardsfan73
04-06-2014, 10:19 AM
I have sent several messages to the seller kindly informing him that they are reprints (letting them know why they are reprints) and letting him/her know that they are also not manufactured by Topps.

I guess at this point all I can do is attempt to win the auction, then leave negative feedback and then file an item not as described case. It's obvious they don't care that they are selling fakes. At least at that point they will never be able to claim 100% positive feedback as a reason we should trust them.

iwantitiwinit
04-06-2014, 10:29 AM
Sent 2 messages told him there was no fire. That the cards are fake and he knows it. Told him the printed area of the card is too small, borders too large and that there is no frame around the player. Guy told me to mind my own biz and that I needed to do my research. Total dyck. Almost feel like buying them just to hit him with a negative.

frankbmd
04-06-2014, 10:35 AM
Just noticed that this has been added to the listing:

For all of those who keep telling me these are reprints, please do your research before emailing me. I found them in a collection and these are not reprints. The paper and ink used in these cards are from the era the T206 cards were produced. There are variation colors and backs to this series. Some are just rarer then others.And others the ink has faded due to old age, wear, staining and different card stock from that era. You will be able to tell once you have these cards in your hands. It is very hard to tell in a photo, but the distinct features show a huge difference versus the reprints. I have many reprints of the Topps T206 cards and they have different backs and color features. All the reprints you will see have solid colors on the front of the cards. If you notice, My cards have details in the background and faces etc. Also the reprints do not have solid black lines outlining the picture like mine have. The reproductions have small bubbly looking black dotted lines. Just because mine have a bigger border then most just means the centering is off. If you go to the T206 museum website, you will see some of their originals with a slightly higher border at the top compared to others in the collection. This is just a centering issue. The reprints also have the name and the team at the bottom in the same font size. These do not. If you examine closely, you will see that the name is slightly bigger then the team they played for like the originals. There are no known reprints that have the features of the cards I am selling. All the reprints I have seen on ebay and the internet and in person also usually say on the back Reprint, Reproduction, the subjects number is a number that does not exist. The best test is to hold it in the light. If the card is see through where you can see the other side, then it's definitely a reproduction. Both of these cards in the light are solid. You cannot see through to the other side. Also when it comes to measurements of the T206 card, here is the measurements 1 7⁄16 inches (3.65 cm) and a height of 2 5⁄8 inches (6.67 cm) which my two cards are and the reprints are slightly larger both width and height. So if you have an opinion leave it to urself. I have the cards in hand and I know how they feel and look. These are not popular players so it is hard to spot the similarities of the fakes vs the authentic. With all the evidence and research then look to be the original. I am an hoest seller and always have been. i would not waste my time posting these if I did not think they were 100% original.

I'm not sure we have had a thread on the "See Through" Test to detect reprints. Check.:D

Big borders are indicative of centering issues. Check.:D

Fred Clarke was not popular, so his election to the Hall of Fame must have been a fluke. Check.:D

These cards have details in the face like two eyes, a nose and a mouth, so they cannot be reprints. Check.:D

Now I'm convinced. I am going to request that Ebay withdraw my fraudulent listing report.;)

iwantitiwinit
04-06-2014, 10:50 AM
I reiterate the longer the explanation the more fraudulent they are.

slipk1068
04-06-2014, 10:59 AM
he just told me to go f*** urself and he didn't use asterisks

ctownboy
04-06-2014, 01:22 PM
If you really want to upset him, tell him his Goudey's are reprints and the only reason they don't say reprint on them is because someone scratched the word out on the back of each of them.

David

cardsfan73
04-06-2014, 02:37 PM
I already told them the Goudeys were bad too.. no reply to that.

Here is the Goudey listing..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Goudey-lot-of-5-cards-Originals-No-Reserve-High-Bv-Contains-ERROR-/181374123761?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item2a3abd7ef1

npa589
04-06-2014, 03:13 PM
Yep, i received the same messages. I was rather insulting to him as well, and it was well deserved. This guy is an idiot.

I mentioned a green sweet caporal back, and his defense and comeback was that it was actually a "Faded blue". I sent back only electronic laughter, and then sent 15 links talking about people asking about Blue Sweet Caporal backs.

Paul S
04-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Frank, I haven't gone back to the listing since you initially linked it. But, when I read your update, and knowing you, I am not certain if you are be your usual Frankself or the seller's alibi is actually "real". Here's one of my faves:
If you notice, My cards have details in the background and faces etc.

cardsfan73
04-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Looks like the Goudey listing has been pulled.

frankbmd
04-06-2014, 06:01 PM
I sincerely hope that w***9 is happy with his purchase. At least none of his competition has any recent bid retractions. I plan on keeping mamma.... on my favorite seller list to see if he tries to pull this stunt again. Thanks to all who contributed by asking him questions. I told him in my first message that if he didn't change the listing or remove it, he would be hearing more and it looks like he did. Target Practice Net54 Style.;)

npa589
04-06-2014, 06:19 PM
Looks like the Goudey listing has been pulled.

I believe eBay must have pulled it, since the listing can no longer be seen.

Good for other bidders who think they're scoring a deal...

Pat R
04-06-2014, 06:54 PM
After the back and forth messages with him about his fake t206's, he had
the nerve to send me a message to check out his rare goudey auction.
I didn't bother to respond at the time but I did just ask him what happened
to the auction.

cardsfan73
04-06-2014, 11:00 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goudey-Card-Lot-With-Different-Back-Error-Take-a-look-No-Reserve-/171293829646?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item27e1e86a0e

The Goudey cards are back up..

I won't even bring up the fact that Member Id: y***r is bidding on pretty much every thing this seller has listed.