PDA

View Full Version : Autograph Value Trends

ATP
04-04-2014, 11:29 AM
After having a discussion with a friend about this the other day, I thought this would be an interesting topic, especially for those who buy/sell/trade a lot of autographs. Prices seem really strong over the last few years for the pre war autograph legends, names like Wagner, Cy Young, etc. They are hard to find at a decent price to buy, but always very easy to sell if you have a nice one. The 1950's-ish tough Hall of Famers, like Clemente, or Jackie Robinson seem to not quite be increasing as much, if at all, at least for what I have seen. I have been pretty amazed at how affordable a decent, authentic Jackie Robinson autograph can be found for in the last couple years, and team signed Pirates baseballs, especially ones with a "lighter" hand auto of clemente, can be had for what seems to be lower than expected prices. In addition, some newer niches have really taken off, like T206 player autographs, especially the scarce ones. What specific examples have you encountered that exceeded, or lagged, the overall market it seems in the last few years? What new niches, if you care to share, do you think may become hot in the coming years?

theshleps
04-04-2014, 12:20 PM
The signed rookie card phenomena has gotten outrageous. Like a 1948 Bowman Musial has ski rocketed or a 49 Bowman Snider, etc. I don't understand this as there are tougher cards of the guys out there. Again as you said the signed pre war cards have been crazy too. Some new HOFers like Dreyfuss have come back down as have Geo Wright due to the new supply, etc. In some niches there aren't that many colletors but just a few wealthy ones who have raised the price point by having bidding wars. What I wonder is the collectors that are 25 years old now, will they want a George Wright or a Barney Dreyfuss. Will they relate to baseball history. I remeber getting a Satchel Paige the same day as a Robb Quinlan (cup of coffee with the Angels a few years back). Guess who my son was more excited about.

djson1
04-05-2014, 11:38 AM
I think the trend of autograph prices for new rookies is absolutely ridiculous. I'm not sure what goes on in the mentality of collectors all the time, but the logic isn't there. There are some rookies like Mike Trout, who is no doubt one of the top players in the game. In fact, he's probably my personal top 5 favorite right now. But his signed cards and balls can easily go over $200-$300....I've even seen a few of his signed rookie cards go for over $500! He's only played 2 seasons, but already his autographs are well over Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio (I realize Williams and Joe signed a ton during their life..but still). One needs to step back and think: Ok, so years after Trout retires, and he posts those 3000/4000+ hits we all want him to achieve...do you think his signature would still be much more than $300? He's a very willing signer and I'm sure there will be no shortages of his stuff later on. So, why do we all want to pay so much for it now when he's only finished 2 seasons (it was expensive even during his rookie season). Worst case scenario (which I hope doesn't happen): he ends up being a mediocre star, and we've all seen it happen. But collectors always seem to jump on a rookie and pay top dollar...even more than what it would be worth after that player retires...so, why not just wait to pay those big bucks? Ah, the dynamics of supply and demand.

theshleps
04-05-2014, 09:05 PM
There are so many dealers thst when potential stars like Trout, Lincecum, Posey, etc were signed and showed for their first insructiioal league in AZ would be handed stacks of 50 "rookie cards" to sign which they did at the time. And each day they'd come back with 50 more till after a few weeks the player would set limits. There are a ton of these signed cards stockpiled. And this was their first time in the pros so you might have even gotten a legible autograph. Paying that much for current players is insane if it is a few hundred dollars. I an see paying a decent amount fror Ichiro as he will mke the HOF and soon disappear to Japan so access will be impossible. Others will be around for the rest of my life. Rather find that DiMag or Williams on a card I need them on,

joed25
04-06-2014, 08:08 AM
There are so many dealers thst when potential stars like Trout, Lincecum, Posey, etc were signed and showed for their first insructiioal league in AZ would be handed stacks of 50 "rookie cards" to sign which they did at the time. And each day they'd come back with 50 more till after a few weeks the player would set limits. There are a ton of these signed cards stockpiled. And this was their first time in the pros so you might have even gotten a legible autograph. Paying that much for current players is insane if it is a few hundred dollars. I an see paying a decent amount fror Ichiro as he will mke the HOF and soon disappear to Japan so access will be impossible. Others will be around for the rest of my life. Rather find that DiMag or Williams on a card I need them on,

Steiner represents him. I doubt he disappears.

tazdmb
04-06-2014, 07:09 PM
I believe Mill Creek still represents Ichiro.