PDA

View Full Version : Net54 Baseball.com R.I.P.

frankbmd
03-31-2014, 11:00 PM
I’m sorry to report that Leon is not feeling well and sent me the following note to share with the Net54 membership.

“I am very tired and feel strongly at this point that Net54 Baseball has run its course. Therefore the site will be shut down for good at 8 AM in the morning. Frankly every conceivable topic related to prewar baseball cards and memorabilia has been thoroughly addressed by the Board. I cannot think of one additional topic that would add anything of merit to our Archives. The Archives themselves have been submitted for publication and will be available soon at amazon.com for those of you who would like a copy of the reference material contained within. I wish to thank all of you for your contributions over the past several, or is it more than several, years.

Moderating the forum has been a pleasure despite the bickering and the uncalled for anonymous slander. Believe me when I say that after 20 hours at the keyboard each and every day, my only wish is that the days were longer. To be honest I must confess that the other mods do not carry their share of the load. Except for my bathroom breaks and 20 minutes a day for lunch, they leave me holding the bag completely.

Now that every meaningful piece of information about these cards has been posted, I feel that the future of the hobby is indeed bright. The cardboard will survive us all and probably our heirs as well. Perhaps someday another uninformed idiot will step forward and start another similar outlet for former Net54 Board members. Until then I suggest that all of you, “Get A Life” for crying out loud.

I would particularly like to thank the Board member(s) who never posted a disparaging word about me or anyone else connected with the hobby, but at present I cannot remember your name(s).

Starting tomorrow after resting for several days or weeks, I plan to start anew with pursuits yet to be etched in stone. I have always wanted to try ballet lessons, but have never been able to find the time. Creating the largest ant farm in Texas has been another dream unrealized. But I’m done with baseball and cardboard, particularly type cards. If I ever return to the hobby (unlikely), I would really like to put a complete set together. Wouldn’t it be fun to put a 1988 Donruss set together by opening wax packs?
I can dream anyway.

Don’t look for me at the National this year either. I will not be there, so you’ll have to buy your own damn dinner this year. And if you are reading this, I have only one final request .......”

“Don’t Tell Brockelman”

Griffins
03-31-2014, 11:06 PM
Just turned April 1st here, nice job Frank!

Sean
03-31-2014, 11:08 PM
I think we all knew that this day was coming, and soon too.
I'm surprised that Leon put up with us this long.

By the way, that ant farm sounds like a really good idea. :D

MyGuyTy
03-31-2014, 11:10 PM
It's like the last episode of Cheers.......:(

sbfinley
04-01-2014, 12:17 AM
Such a shame, the Jackson t206 proof was about to surface here.

1880nonsports
04-01-2014, 02:54 AM
with whom will I now discuss the vagueries of T206's and glimpse into the minds of people like adrian as I contemplate getting my law degree to protect the rights of others who want to bathe their cards in water. The chaos (Peter Chao+s) in the universe will no longer be addressed - I will no longer hear the cowbells. No shameful hauls, Leon's quarters, Barry's spelling tips, Dan's kid glove approach. I won't be able to complain or empathize with other's about buyer's penalties, shipping charges, eBay fees, missing packages, feedback, which TPG is better, why my card with a crease isn't a "9", and why certain dealers have scans that look radioactive. I will miss the you tubes and big boobs (I wish), the death threats from someone who then ends up dead (hmmmm), the personal lives of hobby dealers and veterans as told by people getting their information from rap singers, prostitutes, facebook and sometimes large imaginations....................... Anyone interested in a slightly used net54 T shirt?
All kidding aside (I obviously need some sleep) I hope this and the ns site remain strong forever (at least until I stop collecting - or manage to get a life). On the interweb - it's easy to make it all about me. In real life - not so much :-)

CamaroCPA
04-01-2014, 02:56 AM
I just recently join and this happens! :eek: :o

h2oya311
04-01-2014, 04:55 AM
Very funny Frank (as always)!

MVSNYC
04-01-2014, 05:01 AM
The T206 Jackson proof April Fool's was the best ever.

shernan30
04-01-2014, 05:28 AM
Good one Frank!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04-01-2014, 05:54 AM
Frank, you've outdone yourself this time! Who doesn't dream about ripping pack after pack of '88 Donruss after a long day of ballet and Texas ant farming?

barrysloate
04-01-2014, 05:55 AM
Not every topic has been exhaustively covered Frank. While we've had endless discussions regarding the fronts and backs of T-206's, we've yet to have a good thorough analysis of the various edges. Why, such a thread could easily garner 300+ posts.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
04-01-2014, 06:11 AM
My dumb ass read almost all of Frank's post before checking the calendar. Got me.

wolf441
04-01-2014, 06:20 AM
Great job Frank! Dode Paskert #13.

byrone
04-01-2014, 06:34 AM
Is Sidd Finch classified as "vintage" or should I take the discussion to the postwar board?

e107collector
04-01-2014, 07:01 AM
The T206 Jackson proof April Fool's was the best ever.

+1

I was fooled on that one!

Sean1125
04-01-2014, 07:05 AM
Frank :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Leon
04-01-2014, 07:14 AM
Frank is the best. And what he says, in part, is true. Ant farms would be much easier!!

vintagetoppsguy
04-01-2014, 08:16 AM
Frank is the best.

+1

If I could pick any board member that I haven't met yet just to sit and talk with (not even necessarily about baseball cards), it would be Frank. He just seems like a very likeable guy and I bet he's got a lot of funny stories to tell. God bless Frank!

nebboy
04-01-2014, 08:25 AM
Leon if you're done with that cool quarter in those photos can I have it!?!?!?!?

Bocabirdman
04-01-2014, 08:27 AM
Frank is actually not a real person. He is merely a side project of a team of ambitious Disney Imagineers that has taken on a life of its own. :)

wolf441
04-01-2014, 08:47 AM
Frank is the best. And what he says, in part, is true. Ant farms would be much easier!!

I sometimes think that wrangling cats would be easier Leon!! :D

emmygirl
04-01-2014, 08:49 AM
I've got an ant farm up here in New England Great fun but what's it worth.. I'm sending mine into PSA right away...Bet I only get an "A' Great post Frank lol