PDA

View Full Version : huggins photo lot?

1880nonsports
03-31-2014, 01:29 PM
and the Ewing?
http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=67017

sporteq
03-31-2014, 07:25 PM
At first glance the look neat. I wouldn't lose money on them. They look scary (fake) IMO

Albert

drcy
03-31-2014, 09:26 PM
Curious for a number of reasons. They're the same style photo (same style mount), yet Ward and the Ewing are unrelated images (Sporting Life versus Old Judge). The mounts look a bit more modern than 1894, though are consistent with turn of the century so it could be close (and the description says circa 1890s), and the mounts aren't the standard N172/Sporting Life style that the original N172 and Sporting Life cabinets came in.

I'd have to examine them in person, in particular to see if they are vintage albumen prints. The mounts look genuine, but seem inconsistent/foreign to the player images (fakes can use genuine vintage mounts).

In short, there are some things about the photos that makes them suspect, but I'd have to see them in person so refrain from offering a final opinion.

1880nonsports
03-31-2014, 11:01 PM
of photo and mount at the very least. Just wonder how they vetted either item. I wouldn't touch them.

rhettyeakley
04-01-2014, 12:34 AM
As you implied Henry they are obviously not "as issued."

They are at best an amalgamation of an albumen image pasted onto a different mount than originally issued and at worst a complete forgery. Hard to tell without holding the item in your hand to see if the image portion is original or not. If the albumen image is original they have some value (greatly diminished from their "original mount") but obviously if that central image is not original they have no real collectible value.