PDA

View Full Version : Fan for a fan

pitchernut
03-31-2014, 10:17 AM
Not sure if this is the correct place but since they are listed in the catalog of baseball cards. Anyhow, I picked this fan up about 6 years ago from the bay while under a drunkin stupor.. don't even collect non pitchers but the booze and the ensueing bidding war got the best of me:o This item was listed as a fake or reproduction and I knew it but had to get it anyway. However, it's rather strange in that the fan will not react to black light which I don't know if one can coat something so it will react as older paper, but even after scratching the surface off a little on the back side still no reaction to black light. My question is does anyone know if a reproduction were made of these fans in the modern era? And with the crooked edges on the fan is it possible that this was cut out of a period advertising piece for these Fan for a fans? Any comments?

GrayGhost
03-31-2014, 10:26 AM
I recently had modern repros of these two fans. Cobb and Matty. They were heavily reproduced and to my knowledge, the ORIGINALS are very rare. If u have a real one, its worth quite a bit.

Id err on side of caution and say you likely have an artificially aged modern fan. I really hope I'm wrong.

pitchernut
03-31-2014, 10:43 AM
Scott, is there any chance you can post some pics of the known repro's. Also wanted to add that I'm not too concerned about the monetary aspect of the piece other than if by chance it was cut out of a advertising piece I should take better care of it and not let the grand babies play with it :D I'm just curious specially the crooked edges like it was cut out of something. Edited to add that when the stick is removed there is a printed portion of the original stick or holder part on the fan.

phlflyer1
03-31-2014, 02:56 PM
Jim,

Sorry to say but that is definitely a fake, reproduction fan.

Besides the poor image quality, a couple of giveaways are:

1) The stick should be one uniform length and a bit narrower

2) The real fan for a fan sticks are notched and the fan sits inside the notch of the wood, the stick doesn't go through the fan itself as yours does.

3) I would bet that the back of your fan is likely blank backed as most reproductions are. The back should have a baseball pattern on it.

I will post a couple of images of good fans in the thread a bit later when I am able.

Regards,

Scott

pitchernut
03-31-2014, 04:21 PM
Thank you Scott M for your response and I have no doubt that this is NOT I repeat Not the original Fan for a fan that I believe was given out as a prize or premium of some kind so there is no need to post scans of the real deal. I was just wondering if it was possibly a cutout from a display/advertising piece for the real deal. Do all the repros have a section of the stick printed on them?

phlflyer1
03-31-2014, 05:03 PM
Hi Jim,

No problem.

To my knowledge, there were no advertising displays or pieces for the fans.

Typically, as illustrated in this advertisement, they were made available to local tobacco retail stores by a representative from Bull Durham who went from town to town with a supply of the fans.

I would imagine the fans were prominently displayed in the stores once they were obtained from the Bull Durham rep but there are no advertising pieces per se for this issue that I am aware of.

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag169/phlflyer1/1913_07_29_Grand_Rapids_Press_Fan_Ad-page-001_zps550cd468.jpg

pitchernut
03-31-2014, 07:47 PM
Hi Jim,

No problem.

To my knowledge, there were no advertising displays or pieces for the fans.

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag169/phlflyer1/1913_07_29_Grand_Rapids_Press_Fan_Ad-page-001_zps550cd468.jpg

So is it possible that this is a cutout of the same piece but with Cobb and not Matty? No, that's not possible, that illustration does not show the staples like this does... Thanks for the photo though, someone probably copied one of those posters? I guess on older cardboard stock and I was stupid drunk. Please folks, don't drink and bay.

1880nonsports
03-31-2014, 08:00 PM

Leon
03-31-2014, 09:28 PM
Great ad, Scott. Thanks for sharing it.