PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Jim Brown Rookie PD?

TanksAndSpartans
03-31-2014, 08:27 AM
Topps 58 football has a "player photo inside an oval surrounded by a color background". Brown's card has a black background and all the ones I've been looking at have some degree of white splotchiness to them. Is it fairly common? Would you consider this a print defect? (I know it would help if I posted an image, but I don't want to just swipe images from eBay - I've honestly yet to see one where the black looks like a clean true black)

I've never thought much about the 58 set before - it reminds me of the 70 set, but maybe because the color scheme was uniform on the 70s, in my own opinion, I rather like the 70 set. Both give up a lot of the real estate on the card with just a plain solid color background though.

Thanks for any thoughts. And if anyone is willing to post their 58 Jimmy Brown and mention what they like/don't like about their card - I'd love to see them.

Jim65
03-31-2014, 09:51 AM
Topps 58 football has a "player photo inside an oval surrounded by a color background". Brown's card has a black background and all the ones I've been looking at have some degree of white splotchiness to them. Is it fairly common? Would you consider this a print defect? (I know it would help if I posted an image, but I don't want to just swipe images from eBay - I've honestly yet to see one where the black looks like a clean true black)

I've never thought much about the 58 set before - it reminds me of the 70 set, but maybe because the color scheme was uniform on the 70s, in my own opinion, I rather like the 70 set. Both give up a lot of the real estate on the card with just a plain solid color background though.

Thanks for any thoughts. And if anyone is willing to post their 58 Jimmy Brown and mention what they like/don't like about their card - I'd love to see them.

Hard to find without the print marks and very hard to find centered. Definately tops on my wantlist.

glynparson
03-31-2014, 09:52 AM
some degree of pd, snow,sugar, splotches, print dots, print defects, whatever you choose to call the mess on most 1958 Jim Brown Topps Rookie cards.

TanksAndSpartans
03-31-2014, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the replies. Wanted to make sure I wasn't getting too picky/critical - I have that tendency. I'll definitely adjust my expectations on this one. Thanks Again.

BigRedOne
04-01-2014, 12:30 AM
John

While it is true that the 1958 Topps Jim Brown Rookie card can be plauged by "print snow", By no means does it mean that there are not cleaner nicer copies of the card out there. I would not conceed to the fact that you have to settle for one full of "Print Snow".

Just be prepared to open the wallet for the nicer ones out there.

John

jp1216
04-01-2014, 10:09 AM
Thread needed a picture. Mine too has the snowy flakes.

http://www.billripken.com/bucket/1958TBrownPSA7.jpg

Exhibitman
04-01-2014, 03:35 PM
Mine too...plus a few other 'character' marks:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/miscellaneous3/1958%20Topps%20Brown.jpg

Hey, what do you want for five bucks?

Same image was used for his Sport Pix:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/miscellaneous4/websize/Sport%20Pix%20Brown_%20Jim.JPG

TanksAndSpartans
04-01-2014, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the images - those were nice to see. I like the Sport Pix card - shows Topps dropped the ball on this one - at least not as bad as on the early Jim Taylor cards.

CW
04-01-2014, 10:38 PM
Yep, this card has a lot of condition obstacles; print snow, centering and tilt issues (seems like even the centered examples have a slight tilt), central images that are off register to varying degrees, you name it. Then you have the colored reverse which makes even minor chipping stand out. Pretty tough card, but a nice one to have in any grade.

mojorob
04-02-2014, 07:30 AM
Yep, this card has a lot of condition obstacles; print snow, centering and tilt issues (seems like even the centered examples have a slight tilt), central images that are off register to varying degrees, you name it. Then you have the colored reverse which makes even minor chipping stand out. Pretty tough card, but a nice one to have in any grade.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfolderscf/cw/cwcollection/1958%20Topps%20Jim%20Brown%20RCb.jpg

Chuck,
Not to mention that the oval image of Brown himself is off centered on the card.
Also this particular Brown image was taken from a Black & White Team Issued Print, so it's completely colorized.

bobbyw8469
04-04-2014, 01:51 PM
I have this one. You have to look long and hard to find one with a clean background. This one is NOT for sale....

http://img2.sellersourcebook.com/users/73693/@@_img187_1345158668.jpg

Blackie
04-04-2014, 02:09 PM
Bobby nice card bro! What scanner did you use to scan it.........great pic

bobbyw8469
04-04-2014, 02:19 PM
Epson V series...I want to say V30......awesome scanner...roughly around $60......

Blackie
04-04-2014, 02:31 PM
Very nice man.........Ive gotta get one bro

LuckyLarry
04-06-2014, 06:33 AM
My thoughts on this card? It's the last card I need to complete my '58 set!
Larry

TanksAndSpartans
04-06-2014, 06:05 PM
There is no shortage of eBay listings, but the price/condition combinations... not great.