PDA

View Full Version : Pink ink E103 Jennings color error....if you have any Pink E103's, let's see them

tedzan
03-30-2014, 09:17 PM
I acquired this pink "goodie" at the Ephrata show this past Saturday. It was one of several "walk-in" stuff at this show.
All the Williams Caramel cards are normally a deep red background color. So, I couldn't pass up this gem.....and, traded
some T206 cards for it.

I think this card is simply a color printing error that didn't get the final red ink application. Others here may think other-
wise. And, that's fine, so what's your opinion ?

And, I'm curious how often do these Pink E103's show up....or, is this one a "rare bird" ? ?

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/large/E103pinkJennings50x.jpg

TED Z

shammus
03-30-2014, 09:45 PM
Ted- great looking Jennings! You do see varying shades of reds on e103s from time to time. A couple of the players in fact are found every so often with that pinkish tone. Mordecai Brown being one. You also see certain players often show up with a darker shade of red. The Dooin and I believe, the Wagner cards would be examples of these.

tedzan
03-30-2014, 10:07 PM
Thanks Brian

Over the years I've seen several Jennings, and every one of them have the darker shade of red backdrop. So, that's why I found this one quite interesting.

But,your right....there are other subjects in this set of 30 cards whose red color varies from the darker shade of red.

TED Z

shammus
03-30-2014, 10:35 PM
Yep, this would be the first Jennings I've seen. I know that I've seen a Brown and a Chase in this shade. It's interesting that you get some examples that are really light and others, like the Dooin, that are really dark. I always just sort of chalked it up to different levels of saturation with the red color pass.

Took a quick look online and found a Brown in the same shade as your Jennings....this one is Leon's. I'm sure he won't mind me posting it for him :)

By the way, the front of that Jennings looks like it should be in a 5 holder. Great looking card!

Leon
03-31-2014, 09:41 AM
I don't care if anyone ever posts one of my cards. It isn't every day you see a card from my collection (it's every hour :))......

I think they are just different shades or red and no color passes were missed. That guess and a quarter won't even buy a cup 'o coffee!!

tedzan
03-31-2014, 10:02 AM
Yep, this would be the first Jennings I've seen. I know that I've seen a Brown and a Chase in this shade. It's interesting that you get some examples that are really light and others, like the Dooin, that are really dark. I always just sort of chalked it up to different levels of saturation with the red color pass.

Took a quick look online and found a Brown in the same shade as your Jennings....this one is Leon's. I'm sure he won't mind me posting it for him :)

By the way, the front of that Jennings looks like it should be in a 5 holder. Great looking card!

The Candy card printers certainly made use of Pink ink as a base for many of their cards with their Red, Orange, or just Pink backgrounds. And it's interesting that certain
subjects in this set occur Pink more often than others.
I would think that all 30 cards in this Williams set were printed on the same sheet.

The Jennings' back has two similar (but smaller) paper losses as the Brown you posted. So, I guess that knocked it down to a "1". Perhaps, when I drive over to SGC in a
couple of weeks, I'll see if Earl thinks I can get a bump on the grade. Plus, a pink card looks better in an SGC holder.

Tell me if you would consider this a fair trade....the guy selected two VgEx T206's [Bender (trees) and Otey] for this E103 Jennings ?

Thanks,

TED Z

tedzan
04-02-2014, 09:17 AM
Hey guys,

Let's see some more Williams Caramel cards with PINK backgrounds.

Personally, I think the PINK ones are very "cool"....as compared to the normal deep Red E103's.

Thanks,

TED Z
__________________________________________________ _________________________________
LOOKING for this T206 guy to complete my EXCLUSIVE 12 red HINDU sub-set (12 subjects)

SHECKARD (glove)

shammus
04-02-2014, 09:56 AM
Hmmm...you say yours has similar spots of paper loss on the back?

I'm wondering now if the "pink" color isn't a result of soaking perhaps. As in, someone was trying to remove them from a scrapbook and had to soak the cards or otherwise "treat" them in order to remove the paper off of the back? I see cards that have been soaked, such as e98s, lose a large amount of their color in that process. The result is the background colors are completely faded and will show up as entirely different colors. I have a pink e98 Chase actually that I can post here when I get home that actually helps to better illustrate this point.

tedzan
04-02-2014, 02:24 PM
When I return home, I will scan and post the back of my Jennings card. And, we can discuss this further then.

TED Z

tedzan
04-03-2014, 02:58 PM
Front/back scans....the pink ink appears too clean and uniform to me to be the result of glue "bleed-thru", or other forms of red ink deterioration.

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/large/E103pinkJennings50x.jpg.http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan77/images/large/E103pinkJennings50xb.jpg

TED Z