PDA

View Full Version : 1924 Wright & Ditson-Victor Co, Senators W/Johnson

Leon
03-30-2014, 11:48 AM
Anyone ever see this 1924 Wright & Ditson-Victor Co, Senators W/Johnson ad premium before? It looks to be trimmed on at least a few sides, maybe all of them, and measures approx. 7" x 9 1/2". It is on photographic type paper. It has an Interesting note on back too. It wasn't advertised as such but at the very bottom of the front it says CONLON PHOTOS, which can't hurt!! Thanks for any help...and btw, I consider it sort of an ad premium so fits my (loose) collecting niche for premiums. :) Large scan on purpose.....

http://luckeycards.com/phunc1924senatorsdandmteam.jpg

Shoeless Moe
03-30-2014, 11:59 AM
I was watching that one as well, you got it for a good price!

Leon
03-30-2014, 12:04 PM
I was watching that one as well, you got it for a good price!

Thanks, I thought so. I Was surprised it didn't go higher even with the bottom damage.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1924-Photo-Composite-Washington-Senators-Baseball-World-Series-Champions-/151258334934?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=YHCSaZAl2DuMrADRyJK004o7V9Q%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

perezfan
03-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Below is an image of the full piece. The black border should extend all the way around the perimeter of the photo, with all "circles" completely fitting within.

This one went for about $950 (BP included) in a major auction, complete with the original mount. I think you did great with regard to the price!

http://legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=125445

Hope this helps!

Leon
03-30-2014, 12:20 PM
That's exactly what I was hoping for, Mark. Thanks so much...

Heck, if I wanted to I could find a generic mount for it....but alas then the back handwriting wouldn't be seen. I will leave it as is. Nice to see the full cabinet and know that not much was cut off.

Scott Garner
03-30-2014, 02:55 PM
Geez Leon, you stole it! Nice pickup!!

Hankphenom
03-30-2014, 03:18 PM
Here's mine, which came from Walter Johnson's scrapbooks. An odd twist is the full white border. The only two other examples I could find thru Google had the white border trimmed before being mounted. And I don't think this photo, although unquestionably a first generation original, was ever mounted as there is no damage to the back other than paper residue from Johnson's scrapbook.

Runscott
03-30-2014, 04:22 PM
Nice pick-up, Leon. I need to change my ebay search arguments :)

ValKehl
03-30-2014, 09:32 PM
Hi Leon,
FYI, I am the person who won the 1924 Senators composite that was in the May 2012 Legendary Auction (see pic above). I wasn't aware until a very thoughtful Net54er alerted me to the example you just won on eBay, thinking I would surely be interested in it. When I saw the pic on eBay, I knew it was trimmed on both sides, and I contacted the eBay seller - to her credit, she added what I told her to her eBay listing. Getting this composite stoked me to elevate my collecting focus on obtaining as many cards as I can of all the Senators players on the 1924 Championship team, not just WaJo and Sam Rice, whose cards I have collected for many years. I agree with the others who said you got this at a good price - BTW, this item would have cost you more $$, if I hadn't just paid for a WaJo I just won on eBay!
Best,
Val