PDA

View Full Version : 1952 topps Beckett 5 Mickey Mantle rc

wrestlingbulls
03-29-2014, 08:22 AM
Hi I'm new here to this forum and was just wondering if 20k is a good price to pay for a Beckett 5 mantle rc? Thanks!

Bestdj777
03-29-2014, 12:42 PM
Welcome. Prices will vary based on eye appeal and centering. I would recommend a one day pass to Vintage Card Prices. They list most 52 Mantles that have sold over the last few years and include pictures.

Cardboard Junkie
03-29-2014, 01:06 PM
I think if it is perfect or near perfect centering, and the type ( A or B ( I forget)) that has the black border around he Yankee logo, then 20K is about right. Aloha, Dave:)

pawpawdiv9
03-29-2014, 02:14 PM
Plus, you can use CardTarget.com as well to check pricings on sold items.
If you get, please do share some pics.

Bestdj777
03-29-2014, 04:44 PM
I think if it is perfect or near perfect centering, and the type ( A or B ( I forget)) that has the black border around he Yankee logo, then 20K is about right. Aloha, Dave:)

Dave, I believe that is variation A. Do you think there is a premium for that variation in the mid to high grades? I have only really monitored the lower grades (PSA A - PSA 1), but I have not seen any difference in price. Variation A is definitely the more attractive of the two though, in my opinion.

Cardboard Junkie
03-29-2014, 05:04 PM
I don't think there is a premium for that type, but that black bordered logo type is usually a brighter blue background and a neon yellow bat that "pops!" and doesn't have that washed out armon Mick that the other type has....type "A" if that's what it is just always seems brighter to me. Anyone else notice this? Dave.

wrestlingbulls
03-29-2014, 08:41 PM
Thanks so much! Centering, edges surface all got 7 and corners got a 4.5. So I'm thinking this is the one to go for.

MattyC
03-30-2014, 06:30 PM
I have done so much research on both this card and its market over the years, I am honestly tempted sometimes to write a book on it.

There is definitely something off around his left eyebrow. It could very easily be the scan, but if it is a surface blemish, I would pass on it for that reason.

When it comes to the #311 card, especially examples below "registry competition" grades of say 7 (as hardcore, high-end registry competition guys will often go for a high-enough sticker, regardless of eye appeal-- not a knock, just an observation) I would toss numerical grades out the window and go strictly by eye appeal. And eye appeal with this particular card, though always somewhat subjective, comes down to two things for most people; these two factors which contribute so heavily to eye appeal of the #311 are...

1. Centering
2. Surface/central image clarity.

Third would be brightness of borders. When one's eyes are laid upon any #311, they take in the subject, the face, that is, and the centering, since the card has a black framing and thick white borders.

These criteria are what really separate the elite #311s from the middling examples. Think for example...

How often do you see a perfectly centered #311?
How often does a wrinkle or crease or abrasion near his face wreck eye appeal?
How often do you see dingy borders on a #311?

A sampling of slabbed #311s on Google, VCP, Heritage, even the Registries will reveal that, of the 1000+ extant #311s, certain key characteristic distinguish the elite ones. And these standout examples will time and again draw the most bids and command exponential premiums over their no doubt great but equally no doubt lesser brethren.

#311s are not tough to come by; standout ones are; so it is a card that is worth shopping around for and being very picky over. You will be happy you were picky, since a #311 with even a modicum of eye appeal will ALWAYS be in huge demand. It is a true icon, "the" card almost everyone knows by sight, and probably the first item anyone hopes to see when you tell them you collect anything related to baseball.

That Beckett 5 looks nice and the price is good, but there is that eyebrow fuzziness to the image and there is also this to consider: with decent eye appealing PSA 5s commanding as much as 30k+ in PSA holders and SGC not too far behind, and the card surging lately on fire, why not cross it? Sure, it could be a case of the original owner going with BGS, which is doubtless a trusted name in the hobby. I think BGS is phenomenal for modern especially. Nothing at all against them. But were it my 20k+ on the line, I'd question why a seller motivated to optimize their net is not trying to do so by crossing the card. Raises the possibility it cannot cross for whatever reason.

Just angles to consider when shopping. Hope this helped.

mattsedate
04-09-2014, 02:48 PM
Go for it.