PDA

View Full Version : t206 Minor Leaguer with Toytown Stamp

shammus
03-25-2014, 11:24 PM
I know, I know....it's an odd feeling for me too -- I'm about the last person on this board you'd ever expect to be starting a t206 thread. I don't know anything about 'em and this is maybe the second t206 I've ever even had in my collection...heh.

I was just curious if Toytown back stamps were commonplace at all on t206s or if these were not seen all that often. Do people actively collect these sort of backstamps/overprints? Is there any sort of premium associated with these?

I couldn't find any on Ebay at all - even in "completed listings". Ran a search here on Net 54 and didn't see any results post-2003 even. So I guess there's not a lot of data readily available on these, perhaps?

Was also curious if there were other vendor stamps/overprints that were occasionally found on t206s.

Thanks in advance for any education anyone can help provide me :)

aelefson
03-26-2014, 06:36 AM
Brian-
Several years ago, someone on this board posted the actual stamp for Toy Town. Until then, I believe people thought the stamp might have been applied by a vendor around the time the cards were issued. The found stamp was part of a child's board game, so because it is now clear kids just stamped these on their own, I believe there is no premium associated with them.

Alan

steve B
03-26-2014, 09:22 AM
There's a nice example of the whole game at Skinners now.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4368551

Steve B

mybuddyinc
03-26-2014, 03:05 PM
Brian-
Several years ago, someone on this board posted the actual stamp for Toy Town. Until then, I believe people thought the stamp might have been applied by a vendor around the time the cards were issued. The found stamp was part of a child's board game, so because it is now clear kids just stamped these on their own, I believe there is no premium associated with them.

Alan

I was always disappointed when it was discovered it was part of a game. I always had a image of some crusty old candy/novelty shop owner stamping them for some sort of redemption. You know, the creepy guy who would let teenage boys hang out in his back room to look at his Playboys and drink warm cans of PBR........... :rolleyes:

Stonepony
03-26-2014, 03:17 PM
I was always disappointed when it was discovered it was part of a game. I always had a image of some crusty old candy/novelty shop owner stamping them for some sort of redemption. You know, the creepy guy who would let teenage boys hang out in his back room to look at his Playboys and drink warm cans of PBR........... :rolleyes:

Maybe you should have kept that to yourself:eek:

mrvster
03-26-2014, 07:58 PM
as true as the other collectors stated....altho they do have a cool origin....these cards were, and are truly loved....nice pick up btw...a mini piece of history.....kids really loved these....and so do i:)

rman444
03-27-2014, 09:32 AM
Brian

Read your Old Cardboard issue #15

shammus
03-27-2014, 12:12 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the insight. Yep, I was always under the impression that the Toytown stamp came from a vendor of some sort. Never new that was a kid's toy. Heh, I could go buy the game and put Toytown stamps on all my cards if I wanted. Yeah, I guess the days of that stamp adding to a card's value are over....