PDA

View Full Version : Anyone go to the Sun Times show?

rainier2004
03-23-2014, 07:28 AM
How was it? Vintage? CJs? Attendance? Autos? I think that covers it...

mawitzi
03-23-2014, 01:47 PM
I went to the show on Saturday. There was a decent selection of vintage cards. There was a ton of 50's & 60's stuff, a little less prewar. As usual, I thought many of the dealers were overpriced, but a found a couple with fair prices. I picked up a T206 Chance and a Diamond Stars Hubbell.

The attendance was good when I was there. It is not like the national, but it still draws a decent crowd.

I saw a few CJ's, but not many.

Edwolf1963
03-23-2014, 09:39 PM
I went today (Sunday), most of the dealers I knew and spoke with said business was good. Fair amount of people there, I would concur w/previous poster - mostly post-war cards. The pre-war was largely T206 for the most part (and it seemed like just about everyone had some of those). Few CJ's, most of them were 1915's. One dealer told me the few 1914's he had sold out quickly.

Levi was in his usual fashion emergency get-up .. eating and spewing food on people while talking (when he did get up and away from his laptop to talk to anyone). Can't understand how they sell any cards? Beyond the prices, rarely do you even get noticed or asked if you'd like to see anything when you do stop by. And his booth is usually dead - like everyone knows or has been schooled enough to "walk on by". Too bad bcse he always has museum pieces.

Legendary was in front spot as you walked in. I thought in full-disclosure their sign may have read "Legendary For Our Shipping Costs". .. Just a thought :) - Many of the AH's had their stuff in current or upcoming auctions for viewing. Goodwin, Memory Lane, etc.

PSA and Beckett were there. SGC hasn't done this show in the last year or two as I can recollect. There was some new grading company there. I forget their name, never heard of them before - but sign said grading of all sorts and lists of what, why you should choose them, etc.

Much of the same dealers from previous shows it seemed like. In fact, it seemed like everyone was in the same spots from last show as well - like they'd been there all along.

I did notice there were more people with shoe boxes filled with cards going booth to booth looking to sell. Interesting listening to the negotiation that was going back and forth. More sellers at this show than I have noticed previously.

All in all it was nice to go, say hello to those I knew and glad they did well at the show. Feels like hobby is still strong - many kids and more women than I have noticed at previous shows. Good thing!

darkhorse9
03-24-2014, 08:14 AM
It seemed like there were a lot fewer people there on Saturday than usual, but I'm betting that just meant there were fewer "tire-kickers" there and more people actually buying cards. The dealers all seemed happy.

I do want to stress one thing that is growing in the card show circuit, understaffing tables or staffing with people ignorant on the hobby.

I understand it's tough to hire people just to work a show or something and oftentimes it's family helping out if anything, but I found myself doing a lot of waiting while the only person at the table was busy making other deals.

I was at the last Chicago show where I found several hundred dollars worth of cards I wanted to buy at one table. Unfortunately the dealer had decided to wander off and check the show out for himself leaving his wife alone at the table. She had no idea the prices on some of the cards. After waiting twenty minutes I finally gave up and found the cards at another table.

As a consumer, here's an important tip to dealers. I don't NEED your product I WANT it..and the longer I have to sit and wait for the sale to happen the more chance I have to reconsider my purchase. Make sure you have enough people at the table to: A) Engage the customers...B)Provide security while there are several people looking at cards. C) Help the customer find what they are looking for...and D) Close a deal when they can.