PDA

View Full Version : Sports documentaries you're dying to own

the 'stache
03-22-2014, 01:13 AM
My DVD collection is peppered with some of the greatest sports films ever created. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm in the process of upgrading them to Blu Ray.

But...there are some great documentaries that I have seen that, for one reason or another, are inexplicably not for sale. You can plop down a $20 bill to get the Natural or 61* on Blu Ray, but if you're wanting a copy of something that has not been released on DVD, you're out of luck.

I've got a short list of documentaries I'd give my left arm to own. I'm interested to know if you guys, too, have a list of things you're chomping at the bit to own.

My list:

1. Ted Williams (2009, HBO Sports. 75 minutes). I have seen this listed alternatively as Ted Williams, or Ted Williams: There Goes the Greatest Hitter That Ever Lived. Whatever the title, the documentary is excellent, and a must have for any Red Sox fan. I have loved the Splendid Splinter since I was old enough to read. And this documentary is the best I have ever seen about the great Red Sox left fielder. For over an hour, the viewer is treated to everything from archival footage of the man himself being interviewed, to his game winning 1941 All Star Game-winning home run, and his final at bat at Fenway. It goes into detail about Ted's relationship with the media, his service in WW II and the Korean War, his love of fishing, the women in his life, and most of all, his greatness in the batter's box. Liev Schreiber narrates, as he does for all HBO Sports productions.

I would pay $30 for Ted's appearance at the 1999 All Star Game at Fenway alone. Watching the greats of the game circling around Williams is one of the most moving things I have ever witnessed on the diamond. Sadly, you cannot buy this. I'm just praying my DVR doesn't crap out, because I watch this at least once a week. The excellent Mantle doc is available for sale, so maybe there's hope.

2. Lombardi (2010, HBO Sports, 91 minutes). If the Ted Williams is my favorite baseball feature-length baseball documentary of all-time, then Lombardi would go down as my choice for football.

I was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1971, 4 years after Vince Lombardi led the Packers to victory in Super Bowl II. Yet growing up as a boy in Wisconsin, it was if Saint Vince was still leading the Packers onto the hallowed turf of Lambeau Field. Lombardi was, and still is, revered in Wisconsin, and by Packer fans throughout the world. Yet as much as I'd read about the man, I'd never seen a documentary that truly did his life justice. Then, HBO Sports released their epochal Lombardi documentary in 2010. Finally, something befitting of the man's legacy!

Vince Lombardi's mantra was "God, family, and the Green Bay Packers". Lombardi pushed his team unlike any head coach ever had before. He barked at his players, and pushed them to the brink, getting every single ounce of ability out of every man on his team. Yet he openly told his players he loved them. He broke them down, then built them into champions. When the Packers lost the NFL Championship Game to the Philadelphia Eagles in 1960, he told them that they would never lose the Championship Game again. The Packers played in nine more post season games under Lombardi, winning every single one. And Green Bay won five NFL Championships in seven years.

Yet no matter how much the fanatical Packer fan base beg HBO to release the documentary on DVD and Blu Ray, to date, nothing has happened. And I guard my DVR like a bulldog. The documentary appears on HBO from time to time, but it sure would be nice to be able to buy it. I'd pay pretty much whatever HBO wanted for it.

So, what about you guys? What sports documentary have you seen that you'd kill to own, but is not available for purchase?

the 'stache
03-22-2014, 01:17 AM
One of my favorite clips from the Lombardi doc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_v4ThbDS2Y

Jerry Kramer talking about how Vince motivated him. Great stuff!

itjclarke
03-22-2014, 01:41 AM
Oh man, I had Ted Williams on my DVR and just got a DVD recorder this Christmas. Had I known I'd have burnt it for you Bill.

My favorite 2 sports docs are by far Baseball (own VHS but would love in DVD) and Hoop Dreams (which I own, but think release through Criterion was pretty limited).

Hoop Dreams to me is one of the most compelling documentaries (even movies) ever made... And the 18+ hours of Baseball never get old, no matter how many times over I watch it.

RTK
03-22-2014, 07:34 AM
The old "This Week in Baseball" show should made into year by year sets and sold. I loved that show. Also, WGN in Chicago would usually have a short, maybe half hour pre-season show about the Cubs back in the late 60's/early 70's, usually ending with Banks making his prediction, "The Cubs will shine in '69".

almostdone
03-24-2014, 06:22 PM
The book "miracle ball" had a documentary made at the same time but from what I found only aired regionally a few times and wasn't put on DVD.
I would love to view it and see the interviews recorded in the book.
If you haven't heard or read the book "Miracle Ball" is one mans journey to find the actual ball Bobby Tompson hit to win the final playoff game in 1951 against Ralph Branca and the Dodgers. The journey is quite amazing and "the shot heard round the world" is so deep in baseball lore to not know where the ball ended up after 60 years is amazing.
Great book and read. Would love to se the film.
Drew

RTK
03-24-2014, 08:12 PM
/\

Agreed, the book is outstanding.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
03-24-2014, 09:20 PM
Oh man, I had Ted Williams on my DVR and just got a DVD recorder this Christmas. Had I known I'd have burnt it for you Bill.

My favorite 2 sports docs are by far Baseball (own VHS but would love in DVD) and Hoop Dreams (which I own, but think release through Criterion was pretty limited).

Hoop Dreams to me is one of the most compelling documentaries (even movies) ever made... And the 18+ hours of Baseball never get old, no matter how many times over I watch it.

I love Hoop Dreams. I have the 25th anniversary edition. It is interesting to see how differently the players' lives went.

Runscott
03-26-2014, 09:58 AM
Thanks for posting this thread. It got me to looking for a documentary that I did not realize was available, so I ordered it:

Tom Landry - A Football Life

the 'stache
03-27-2014, 01:24 AM

Thanks, Ian. I appreciate it. I still have it, so I'm ok. I just want something official from HBO, hopefully with interviews, and a documentary on the research that went into the making of the film. It's a must watch for even non-Packer fans. It's that good.

Thanks for posting this thread. It got me to looking for a documentary that I did not realize was available, so I ordered it:

Tom Landry - A Football Life

That's awesome, Scott. I grew up a fan of the Packers and Cowboys. I loved Lombardi and Landry both. They were cut from the same cloth, though Vince was much more vocal than Tom.

I'll never forgive Jerry Jones for basically casting Landry aside when he bought the team. That was unforgivable, in my opinion.