PDA

View Full Version : That didn't take long......

Brian Van Horn
03-20-2014, 09:07 AM
http://www.auctionzip.com/aflive.html?method=getLotInfo&lotref=4BE15BACCF&seq=123

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Uncle-Jacks-Candy-Ed-Brandt-graded-SGC-4-VG-EX-Baseball-Card-/321356868221?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item4ad25caa7d

ullmandds
03-20-2014, 09:22 AM
NICE! Going for the 7x's your money Kill in 1 day!

bobbyw8469
03-20-2014, 09:29 AM
Asking and getting are two different stories.

ullmandds
03-20-2014, 09:33 AM
of course

pclpads
03-20-2014, 09:36 AM
cookvintagecardcompany . . . AKA "Flip." :D

ullmandds
03-20-2014, 09:40 AM
oops! apparently my math skills are declining!

freakhappy
03-20-2014, 10:31 AM
I'm not familiar with this issue, so I'm not sure what the going price is for these but if he can flip it for that much profit, he did a pretty good job.

Is there anything I'm missing here other than he is trying to flip it??

bn2cardz
03-20-2014, 10:40 AM
I'm not familiar with this issue, so I'm not sure what the going price is for these but if he can flip it for that much profit, he did a pretty good job.

Is there anything I'm missing here other than he is trying to flip it??

I don't think anything else is going on. The seller is a newer member of the board and acknowledged buying the card in another thread and asked if he got a good deal. I guess people here don't like people flipping, but really most cards in anyone's collection and that are being sold are a flip... the amount of time just changes.

I recently bought 3 American Beauty backed t205 cards off of ebay that were part of a lot sold through Legendary Auctions that ended 02.27.14. I knew it when I bought them, if that seller makes money off the full lot good for them. I get what I want out of the lot and they make a little money.

freakhappy
03-20-2014, 10:49 AM
I guess it just seems in bad taste to point out someone that wants to flip a card, especially if that's the round about price that card sells for. I can see if the seller is trying to deceive someone and I'm not sure if that's the case or not since I don't know much about the card issue.

So I guess my question is...why was this thread started?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ullmandds
03-20-2014, 10:55 AM
And I suppose it's NOT in bad taste to announce to the board the card you've just acquired...and then place it for sale for 5 times what you paid for it last night?

freakhappy
03-20-2014, 11:02 AM
And I suppose it's NOT in bad taste to announce to the board the card you've just acquired...and then place it for sale for 5 times what you paid for it last night?

Is it worth five times what he paid for it? If yes, then no it's not in bad taste to sell it for that amount.

I do believe the seller needs to be more discreet on how he goes about things. A private message to someone would have been better.

Just to be clear, I wasn't aware that he announced the card last night...I am just commenting on his right to sell the card.

Leon
03-20-2014, 11:12 AM

Had he not asked and got an experienced opinion (mine :)) then I wouldn't have said anything about the 500% mark up. But if I asked a T206 expert on the board if my T206 $225 buy was a good deal, then got a T206 guy saying it was about right, all the while marking it up to $1100.....well, a few comments would be expected.

But as for flipping... I do it all the time and it's what really makes the hobby go round if you ask me.....I love flippers....

ullmandds
03-20-2014, 11:15 AM
Anyone can make an argument that a particular card is worth X amount! The card sold for $225 last night...so that's what it's worth.

All I know is that if I were a flipper...who immediately placed card(s) for sale right after I purchased them...at gigantic profit margins...I wouldn't be announcing to thousands of prospective customers online that I bought them in the first place!

Leon
03-20-2014, 11:18 AM
Anyone can make an argument that a particular card is worth X amount! The card sold for $225 last night...so that's what it's worth.

Not necessarily. Tons of cards go under the radar OR just don't get the right bidders at that time. I have flipped cards many, many times (as a lot of members have) very soon after I bought them and for good profits. Then other times I lose my arse.....:eek:

UnVme7
03-20-2014, 11:24 AM
I have zero problem with people making a profit, what I don't like is when people ask you to take less than your asking price and then flip it for your asking price the following week.

A guy did that to me 2 weeks ago on a bat. Needless to say, I told him we aren't doing business together again. That's one of the golden rules in my opinion.

bn2cardz
03-20-2014, 11:26 AM

All I know is that if I were a flipper...who immediately placed card(s) for sale right after I purchased them...at gigantic profit margins...I wouldn't be announcing to thousands of prospective customers online that I bought them in the first place!

I, too, would not make an announcement to everyone if I really wanted to sell. He could be doing what others, including myself in the past, have done which is put your collection on Ebay at higher prices figuring if someone wants to buy it then fine they can have it at this price but I would rather keep it if no one is willing to pay the inflated price.

Brian Van Horn
03-20-2014, 11:50 AM
I guess it just seems in bad taste to point out someone that wants to flip a card, especially if that's the round about price that card sells for. I can see if the seller is trying to deceive someone and I'm not sure if that's the case or not since I don't know much about the card issue.

So I guess my question is...why was this thread started?

In my opinion, it is not in bad taste. I just thought the quick turnaround was interesting. I am not wishing bad for the seller.

freakhappy
03-20-2014, 11:59 AM
In my opinion, it is not in bad taste. I just thought the quick turnaround was interesting. I am not wishing bad for the seller.

No harm, no foul...

Like I stated before, if the seller is trying to deceive someone or has an inflated price of 500%, there may not be an issue with posting his item...but if the price isn't far off for that issue, I would be pretty upset with someone announcing it on a chat board seeming to reveal that there is something weird going on...especially with a lot of possible buyers.

Anyway...I know you're a good guy, I just wanted to state my opinion :)

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
03-20-2014, 12:29 PM
The only problem I see with this situation is that the seller upset some potential buyers.

auggiedoggy
03-20-2014, 01:57 PM

I kind of feel the same way. In any case, its all good! :p

thehoodedcoder
03-20-2014, 03:26 PM
I have zero problem with people making a profit, what I don't like is when people ask you to take less than your asking price and then flip it for your asking price the following week.

A guy did that to me 2 weeks ago on a bat. Needless to say, I told him we aren't doing business together again. That's one of the golden rules in my opinion.

LOL. Some people are just better sales guys. He sold you on why you should give it to him cheaper and then sold someone else on why he should pay more for it from him, and not you.

That takes skill man. Give him credit.

Kevin

j_cook
03-21-2014, 07:45 AM
Lol! I will not be announcing any more cards that I plan to flip. I am kind of a noob to card forums, so please let me get a pass on this one... I def should not announce a recent purchase price to possible buyers. Also...
He could be doing what others, including myself in the past, have done which is put your collection on Ebay at higher prices figuring if someone wants to buy it then fine they can have it at this price but I would rather keep it if no one is willing to pay the inflated price.

This. I really do like the card even though it is already for sale. I honestly would not mind one bit if the card sits for 2 years and doesn't sell. But if someone is willing to buy it then I'm certainly happy with selling.

j_cook
03-21-2014, 07:54 AM
Also, I think I pegged this board slightly wrong. I was looking for a place to find out more information about the hobby from other people that know what they're talking about (there are none where I live). I didn't realize people would be reading my posts and then starting threads based on my eBay listings. It's fine, though... I will just be more careful with what I post.

Leon
03-21-2014, 08:14 AM
Lol! I will not be announcing any more cards that I plan to flip (which is a good majority of them.) I am kind of a noob to card forums, so please let me get a pass on this one... I def should not announce a recent purchase price to possible buyers. Also...

This. I really do like the card even though it is already for sale. I honestly would not mind one bit if the card sits for 2 years and doesn't sell. But if someone will pay a pretty penny for it then I'm certainly happy with selling.

Yes, you might be a bit more discreet in the future. Live and learn. And at your asking price, it won't be sitting for 2 yrs. I recommend you let your heirs know what to do with it.

Brian Van Horn
03-21-2014, 08:42 AM
Lol! I will not be announcing any more cards that I plan to flip (which is a good majority of them.) I am kind of a noob to card forums, so please let me get a pass on this one... I def should not announce a recent purchase price to possible buyers. Also...

This. I really do like the card even though it is already for sale. I honestly would not mind one bit if the card sits for 2 years and doesn't sell. But if someone will pay a pretty penny for it then I'm certainly happy with selling.

No problem here. I was just amused at how fast you made the turnaround.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
03-21-2014, 09:48 AM
Also, I think I pegged this board slightly wrong. I was looking for a place to find out more information about the hobby from other people that know what they're talking about (there are none where I live). I didn't realize people would be reading my posts and then starting threads based on my eBay listings. It's fine, though... I will just be more careful with what I post.

It's a great place to learn. Don't let this experience get you too down.

Eric72
03-21-2014, 02:06 PM
I was looking for a place to find out more information about the hobby from other people that know what they're talking about

You have definitely found such a place. The members of Net54 collectively have an amazing amount of knowledge about this hobby.

Deertick
03-21-2014, 03:58 PM

What you have to realize is that many in this hobby are obsessive. And that includes searching eBay multiple times a day. Nobody was monitoring you but, as Leon said, live and learn. Very little slips through the cracks here! :D

UnVme7
03-21-2014, 07:49 PM
LOL. Some people are just better sales guys. He sold you on why you should give it to him cheaper and then sold someone else on why he should pay more for it from him, and not you.

That takes skill man. Give him credit.

Kevin

No joke, Kevin. But it kind of sucked because I pulled the bats out of my personal collection and they had never been offered for sale in the past. I thought I was helping him out for his collection. Guess I was wrong. No more business with him!!

Wymers Auction
03-22-2014, 05:01 PM
If someone came to me and wanted a discount for their personal collection and then flip it quickly for big money that would bother me. To me anything short of that is fair game I do not care what someone does with the cards they buy from me I just hope they are happy with the purchases and buy more in the future. Buyers that are making money buy more.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
03-22-2014, 06:37 PM
If someone came to me and wanted a discount for their personal collection and then flip it quickly for big money that would bother me. To me anything short of that is fair game I do not care what someone does with the cards they buy from me I just hope they are happy with the purchases and buy more in the future. Buyers that are making money buy more.

Agreed