PDA

View Full Version : Ty Cobb TC 40 bat ?

oldcardboard
03-19-2014, 10:44 AM
Hello. Looking for some help/advice as to the value of a Ty Cobb TC40 bat.
I have not seen it yet, plan to meet tomorrow with the owner and look at it.
He says there is a small hairline crack down near the handle. Other than that, he says it is in excellent condition.

My ?' s are:
What is a range of value on a bat like this?
Any other advice as to what to look for?
I've read that they were made from 1915-1920's? Did they make reprints later on, say in he 50's-70's or not?

Thank you to anyone that takes the time to help me out with any info that you can provide.

Jeff-oldcardboard

aelefson
03-19-2014, 07:37 PM
Jeff-
40 TC was used in the teens and 20s. I do not believe it was reissued in the 50s or later, but the center branding normally reflects the era. If there is no signature on the barrel, there used to be a decal. The price depends on how much of the decal is there, or if it is a signature model, how clear it is. I would say the range would be 100 (really rough) to 1000+ (really nice) with most around 2-300ish.
Check the web for information on the difference in the center label (the H and B area) as the earlier bats (teens) will go for more. Size also matters, so a bat 34+ inches will sell for more than a smaller one will (in general). Please note that I am not that knowledgeable on bats, so hopefully someone else can provide better information.

Alan

khkco4bls
03-19-2014, 07:47 PM
To me a 40 tc store model would range from 300 to 750 mint. Sig. Model.. decal model 1000 to 2000 depending on cond.

UnVme7
03-19-2014, 08:08 PM
I had a 1920's TC decal bat with about 50% of the decal left and couldn't give the dang thing away. Ended up having to sell it for around $100

oldcardboard
03-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Thank you Allen, Kevin and Nate. Much appreciated. I will get some pictures up and see what it is exactly. Hoping to meet up with the gentlemen tomorrow afternoon, or maybe this weekend.

Thank you again.:)

Runscott
03-20-2014, 09:40 AM
Jeff, I have a fairly large collection of 'Ty Cobb Decal' label and decal scans - I was trying to create a primer for i.d.'ing and dating them, but never got it done. Once you have pictures, if no one else can i.d. it (and I feel certain someone will be able to), you can send them to me and I'll try to match it up.

I got pretty anal with markings on the actual label - I believe there is a thread from a year or two back, that has some of my findings.

oldcardboard
03-20-2014, 11:53 AM
Hi Scott. I just returned from meeting him and did'nt snap any pics, forgot my damn camera and my phone is a cheap flipper style. It was 32 inches, signature edition. It had 3 cracks, and appeared to have been "oiled", or polished, felt waxy. He said he has 1 other guy interested and if it didnt sell, he would let me know,and stop by my place to see if we can do a deal[I have lots of items to trade, from storage unit cleanouts]. If it comes to that, I will have my camera ready and get a few pictures. Thank you for the response.