PDA

View Full Version : Question: 1960 Topps #56 Forest Gregg

TanksAndSpartans
03-17-2014, 01:38 PM
Hi All,

Hoping to get a little help on this one (maybe from someone who collected this set or a Packers fan). Does Forrest Gregg have scars on his face in real life (doubtful since not seeing this on other cards) or do all/some of these cards have a print defect?

The ones I've seen look similar to the one linked below with one line over his left eye and one line to the left/near his chin. It seems more or less distinct in different cases, but it may be due to scan quality as they all seem to have it. Thanks.

http://www.footballcardgallery.com/1960_Topps/56/Forrest_Gregg/

LuckyLarry
03-18-2014, 05:22 PM
I need just five more cards to complete the '60 Topps football set and one of the cards I'm missing is #56! So I couldn't check!

TanksAndSpartans
03-18-2014, 07:45 PM
I understand - good luck with the last five!

laughlinfan
03-19-2014, 12:42 PM
Maybe this is just due to the way the shading was depicted when the card was painted? I had always assumed that this set was made using the flexichrome process, where an original (black and white?) photograph was painstakingly colorized with ink/dye. Not quite sure why they would have done this, as color photography could have been used, but I will add that the "painting" feel to the set makes it one of my favorite football sets.

All just assumptions on my part - can anyone verify if the flexichrome process was used for this set? I think the 1962 Post football set was also done this way.