PDA

View Full Version : 1949 Leaf Rosar variation discovered

Bob Lemke
03-17-2014, 09:07 AM
I just posted this on my blog. As far as I know, this is heretofore uncataloged.

If I was still editor of the Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards, I'd add it to the next edition . . . and I'd credit myself with the discovery!

Recently while researching a column on Buddy Rosar, I discovered that there are two distinct variations of his 1949 Leaf card, #128.

On one version the triangle under his butt at the right margin is white; on the other version, the triangle is blue. There are a couple of other minor differences at that area of the card, but the blue vs. white triangle is the most obvious.

On a recent day there were 47 examples of the '49 Leaf Rosar on eBay. Thirty-four of the cards were of the blue-triangle variation (72%); white-triangle cards numbered 13 (28%). I don't know if that ratio is significant enough to cause collectors to pay a premium for the scarcer white-triangle card. With its truly scarce short-prints, there aren't all that many collectors looking to complete a 1949 Leaf set, much less a master set.

But I thought I'd put it out there and let the hobby decide.

ALR-bishop
03-17-2014, 09:49 AM
Bob---if you were still editor you could have listed it as the butt triangle variation :)

toppcat
03-17-2014, 10:51 AM
It looks like the triangle was behind him and then rotated and migrated downward. Corrected, yet still screwy, masking problem?

tombocombo
03-17-2014, 11:04 AM
very astute!

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
03-17-2014, 09:54 PM
You have a good eye. I didn't see it at first glance.

steve B
03-18-2014, 09:05 AM
nearly all 49 Leaf non-SPs have something similar.

There are at least 3 clearly different groups, with stuff like the Rosar, or caps that are or aren't shaded, and usually one group matches up with the pink ink cards.

Weigel
http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=3316

Brissie
http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=3315

I have the Rosars, but no scan. The one without the triangle I have with pink ink instead of red.
Mize with the yellow stripe connecting the background to the name panel comes with either red or pink.

Steve B

steve_a
03-29-2014, 07:54 PM
With its truly scarce short-prints, there aren't all that many collectors looking to complete a 1949 Leaf set, much less a master set.

I'm one of these idiots. Prices have been strong so there must be a few others. Wasn't very excited about this variation until I found I have one. Thanks Bob

ALR-bishop
03-29-2014, 08:32 PM
If it is any consolation Steve, you are not the only idiot here

steve B
03-29-2014, 08:54 PM
Yep, far from the only one.

I only pick up a couple now and then, but I really like the set and plan on going for as close to a master set of the non-sps as I can get.

I don't have any Sps yet. Maybe a few eventually.

Steve B