PDA

View Full Version : Gentlemen, I am smitten. Please share your T204 Ramlys

the 'stache
03-17-2014, 04:13 AM
While looking through the March pickup thread, I spied two recent additions to Tony Andrea's collection: high-grade examples of Jesse Burkett and Walter Johnson T204 Ramly cards. Having never really taken a moment to look at the set (though an example has been right under my nose, not even five feet away, on my Old Cardboard type prints), I now find myself mesmerized.

It seems that in the world of pre-war cards, the T206s are very much like the pretty girl with big knockers that guys just gravitate to right off the bat at a party. There's nothing wrong with that, as the Monster is one of the big three for a reason. But as I learn more about the collectibles from this era, some of the less-celebrated sets are starting to really grab my attention. The T206 girl has friends, it seems, and they may not knock you over the head right off the bat, but there is something very alluring about them. They are a little less effervescent than their friends with the pinup good looks. But once you sit down with them, so to speak, their charms begin to reveal themselves.

I have to admit, as much as I love the color of the T206s, and other similarly produced lithograph sets, I appreciate, too, the relative starkness of the Ramlys. Just a simple black and while photo, and some nice gold decorative embellishment that does not at all take away from the subject. I find this "minimalist" set is right up my ally, as I am also greatly interested in post cards from this era. I appreciate the subjects presented without any color enhancement. As a lover of the game, Walter Johnson and Ty Cobb's photos do not need any additional production to be compelling.

So please, everybody, share your T204 cards. I understand these cards are relatively scarce, and thusly expensive, so it might be a while before I add any to my collection. I shall just live vicariously through you all for the mean time!

Thank you, and let the fun begin!

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
03-17-2014, 06:18 AM
So what type of girl is t204?

bn2cardz
03-17-2014, 06:46 AM
When I learned of this set when I was a teen it was my favorite, but this is my lone example:
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k607/bn2cardz/bn2cardz/T204Hartzell_Ramly_VG3.jpg

the 'stache
03-17-2014, 06:47 AM
So what type of girl is t204?

Judging by the lack of them on Ebay, Alex, I'd say the "hard to get" type. :p

ullmandds
03-17-2014, 06:54 AM
t206 is the "whore"...t204 is the elusive, diamond in the rough!

z28jd
03-17-2014, 07:19 AM
I like T204's too, which is odd, because I'm not big on portrait cards. It's one of two sets, where the design trumps the portrait aspect for me, with the other being the C46 set. That being said, I don't collect the set and haven't bought one in at least eight years. As you have mentioned, they are pricey, they are rare and if you went for the set, you'd have to get a lot of obscure players.

I have no idea why they put Tom Reilly is the set. He had played 34 games over two seasons when the set was made and he could neither hit, nor field well. He also only played one game in the majors after the set was made, yet he was one of the 121 choices and not a single Pirates player made it into the set. It's not like they took their own photos for the set, they just used photos that were already out.

You may want to check out the C46 set. It still has a few name players you would recognize, Dummy Taylor, Doc Adkins, Joe Kelley, Chick Gandil, Joe McGinnity, etc. It's a smaller set and cheaper, plus it has info on the back. I bought one as a type card years ago and I've thought about collecting them.

shernan30
03-17-2014, 07:21 AM

+1

Griffins
03-17-2014, 07:59 AM
I only have 6, and only 3 different guys, but I like the set for the variations
http://photos.imageevent.com/griffins/prewwi/1909t204ramly/icons/AndersonSquare.jpghttp://photos.imageevent.com/griffins/prewwi/1909t204ramly/icons/AndersonBlank.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/griffins/prewwi/1909t204ramly/icons/Moran.tif.jpghttp://photos.imageevent.com/griffins/prewwi/1909t204ramly/icons/MoranTTT.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/griffins/prewwi/1909t204ramly/icons/116633a-copy_lg.jpeghttp://photos.imageevent.com/griffins/prewwi/1909t204ramly/icons/Dineen.jpg

frankbmd
03-17-2014, 08:03 AM

Vintage sluts for vintage nuts.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/frankbmd/t-party/6036/t204-street

Just another "Street" walker.:D

sb1
03-17-2014, 08:12 AM
one for the thread

Michael Peich
03-17-2014, 09:22 AM
Good thread and I am smitten as well!

Scott-gorgeous Plank, although my Plank is a little less fully revealed than yours. And, I thought I'd display the TTT back you sold me a few years ago, for which I am grateful.

Cheers,
Mike

triwak
03-17-2014, 10:01 AM
J.B.

LKeeler
03-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Love the thread, Bill! Thanks for starting it. The Ramlys are definitely one of the most beautiful and perhaps more under appreciated issues out there. Can you imagine the set's popularity if it contained the classic portrait images of Wagner, Cobb, or Matty? I picked up my Keeler Ramly on eBay about 10 years ago. It is probably the prize card in my collection, and one that I seldom see available.

soxinseven
03-17-2014, 03:14 PM
one of my Ramlys...

Peter_Spaeth
03-17-2014, 04:21 PM
Women do read this board, or at least some used to. I wonder what they think of cards being compared to girls with big knockers.

wonkaticket
03-17-2014, 04:29 PM
Women do read this board, or at least some used to. I wonder what they think of cards being compared to girls with big knockers.

I hear ya Peter but if there’s anything our hip hop society has taught us…well….
http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn3/net54shared/bitches-be-trippin.jpg
So what can we do? :D

Peter_Spaeth
03-17-2014, 04:30 PM
Hopeless. :D

Griffins
03-17-2014, 04:34 PM
Question for Scott B or anyone else:

Looks like most Ramly's only have the players last name, except for the ones that also appear as square frames (the 3 I posted, Burkett, Bransfield and Bancroft). Are there any other players that have their first names but are not part of the square frame subset? And if so, do those players have any connection to the Worcester club or Worcester, Mass?

sb1
03-17-2014, 04:53 PM
The Eddie(Ed) Collins, Geo. Howard, Thos. Jones and T.H. Murname have first names or initials, but apparently no Worcester connections, which is the common denominator for the Square frames, some type of commemorative or special issue??

e107collector
03-17-2014, 05:07 PM
Great cards guys. They are a beautiful issue.

Scott, remember this one?

Tony

sb1
03-17-2014, 05:20 PM
I can't keep em all :)

I replaced him with this one

the 'stache
03-17-2014, 06:01 PM
I love these kinds of threads because they are a form of immediate education, on top of being a fabulous showcase for the cards being discussed. Great cards, everybody! Thank you again for letting us peek behind the curtain to see some of your incredible collections. In the last few minutes, I have learned there are variations to the borders (some solid, some not), as well as the backs, Ramly and TTT.

If there are any ladies that venture into this thread, I apologize if I've offended. The analogy was meant to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Alas, after 42 years on this Earth, I still have not figured the fairer sex out, and likely never will.

And leave it to John to add a little levity to the thread. :D

the 'stache
03-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Love the thread, Bill! Thanks for starting it. The Ramlys are definitely one of the most beautiful and perhaps more under appreciated issues out there. Can you imagine the set's popularity if it contained the classic portrait images of Wagner, Cobb, or Matty? I picked up my Keeler Ramly on eBay about 10 years ago. It is probably the prize card in my collection, and one that I seldom see available.

Luke, the set might lack those players you mentioned, but from what I've seen thus far, the offering of Hall of Famers and other stars during the period should be enough to grab any collector's attention. I wonder if it's not the relative scarcity holding the card's popularity back, relatively speaking.

That Keeler is one of my favorite examples from the set thus far, along with the WaJo.

Are there any cards within the set that are considered more difficult to acquire?

Peter_Spaeth
03-17-2014, 06:17 PM
Alas, after 42 years on this Earth, I still have not figured the fairer sex out, and likely never will.
. :D

Well, at least with the women I know, commenting on their big knockers is probably not the best approach. :D Then again, I'm from Massachusetts, and we may not be typical here. :D:D

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
03-17-2014, 06:28 PM

Ok, so T204 is the "really nice" fat friend

e107collector
03-17-2014, 07:01 PM
I can't keep em all :)

I replaced him with this one

Scott,

That card is worthy of a bump, in my opinion. It has virtually no chipping or wear on the borders. Very tough to find a T204 like that.

Tony

sycks22
03-17-2014, 07:13 PM
I love the square frames. Great looking cards guys

CW
03-17-2014, 07:43 PM
Great cards, guys -- thanks for posting. Would love to add one of these types to the collection some day. The gold embossing is such a cool, unique touch to this set.

3-2-count
03-17-2014, 07:52 PM
Thought I'd go ahead & re-post em' here since it seems it's what got the story line going. :) Thank you again Bill. Great cards everyone!!

Griffins
03-17-2014, 09:23 PM
Thanks Scott.

the 'stache
03-17-2014, 11:20 PM
Thank you, Tony! Those cards are simply phenomenal.

And may I say again how great they look with the SGC slab. The black gasket really makes the gold framing, and the black & white portrait pop.

Keep 'em coming, guys! :D

philliesphan
03-18-2014, 01:51 PM
Only own four T204s. Per my name here, there's simply not many Phillies from the set to collect, so I got all of the one they chose to include:

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersko/mikeschmidt/phillies/websize/FourT204BransfieldFront.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/memberfoldersko/mikeschmidt/phillies/websize/T204BransfieldBacks.jpg

Griffins
03-18-2014, 03:23 PM
nice variation run Marc. Doesn't PSA note TTT backs?
Still kicking myself for not grabbing that Bransfield when I had the chance....

tiger8mush
03-18-2014, 07:23 PM
Nice Ramly's everyone! Especially loving the Plank, Keeler, WaJo, and Browns!

One of the few Ramly's I own...

Rob
:)

philliesphan
03-18-2014, 11:57 PM
nice variation run Marc. Doesn't PSA note TTT backs?
Still kicking myself for not grabbing that Bransfield when I had the chance....

Anthony, they do now. But I think I picked up that TTT years and years ago, before they started labeling it.

I'm delighted to own the Square Frame. Great opportunity, even nicer seller. One of the few cards in my collection that's likely to be in the "never for sale" category. Seems like the Square Frames come up in bunches -- and it's been a while since (m)any have been available?

Bosox Blair
03-20-2014, 02:06 AM
Some of the Red Sox...two TTT and two Ramly:

soxinseven
03-20-2014, 07:18 AM
The companion to the above TTT...

the 'stache
03-21-2014, 02:00 AM
Just beautiful, guys. Again, thank you!

Does anybody have an Eddie Collins T204?

sb1
03-21-2014, 07:35 AM
here's one of mine

3-2-count
03-21-2014, 07:40 AM
Beautiful Collins, Scott.

sb1
03-21-2014, 08:18 AM
Thanks Tony, I have an 86 as well, but actually like this 80 better! Bigger number does not always mean better looking card.

Peter W Thomas
03-21-2014, 09:24 AM
Here are a few

03-21-2014, 09:25 AM
Here are a few

Good gracious did you pull those from a pack?!

jrlebert
03-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Love the thread, everyone. It's threads like this, and the accompanying education and banter, that keep me coming back every day to net54!

E93
03-21-2014, 10:38 AM
Anthony, Scott, Peter, and everybody,
Amazing cards!

Peter,
Good to see you here.
JimB

peterose4hof
03-21-2014, 10:03 PM
Some really great cards shown in this thread. Thanks!

My lone T204 - Griffith Blank Back

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s393/peterose4hof/Scan10007.jpg (http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/peterose4hof/media/Scan10007.jpg.html)

the 'stache
03-22-2014, 12:01 AM
Thanks Tony, I have an 86 as well, but actually like this 80 better! Bigger number does not always mean better looking card.

That Collins knocks my socks off!!! :eek:

I have to agree with your comment about the number grades, too. I use them as a starting point, and then evaluate the card's eye appeal. I've seen SGC 40s that look much better than cards a grade or two higher. That's good for a collector like me that operates on a budget. I can still get some real beauties that have been graded somewhat more critically because of flaws that are not immediately perceptible.

Here are a few

Peter, those are unbelievable. They could have been printed yesterday.

Love the thread, everyone. It's threads like this, and the accompanying education and banter, that keep me coming back every day to net54!

Agreed, J.R. In my humble opinion, these kinds of threads represent the very best Net 54 has to offer. As somebody that is still being exposed to card types for the very first time, it's absolutely thrilling, like Howard Carter unearthing Tutankhamun tomb.

I have to say, too, that I'm a little shocked there are still such high quality examples of these cards in circulation. The T204s jump out to me as cards that would show border and corner chipping quite easily, especially the solid border cards. Yet some of these appear pretty much flawless.

Keep em coming, guys. Whatever you have, any player, any condition. I want to see them!