PDA

View Full Version : Griffith Stadium Photo - Joe Wood - Ruth?

Greenmonster
03-16-2014, 06:53 PM
I recently picked up this photo, titled Joe Wood batting in Washington. Taking a close look it appears the players have been cropped into a picture of the ballpark. I would think BP would be taking place at home plate.

Jaybird
03-16-2014, 09:00 PM
Nice PC, Jim. I like the Holmes to Homes sign on the building in the background. Another baseball card reference!

3-2-count
03-16-2014, 09:17 PM
Good catch Jason. Nice photo Jim.

Michael B
03-16-2014, 09:49 PM
I would agree that it appears the players are not in the original photo of the ballpark. The batter looks too small for one thing. It appears that small photos of players were cut out, glued onto a photo of the ballpark and another photo was taken. I have a couple of humorous golf ones like this. They pretty much got the shadowing correct. This photo is looking east south east towards 5th St., N.W. The houses on the right are on the west side of the street and the other buildings are on the east side of the street. The sun would have passed from center field (the houses) to right field south of the stadium (off to the right of the photo. The batter in this photo would always be facing the sun no matter the time of day.