PDA

View Full Version : OT- US Mint to produce $5 coin honoring baseball

Scott Garner
03-13-2014, 11:06 AM
OT- Cool story in the news today about the new $5 coin that looks like a baseball.
Check it out:

http://news.msn.com/pop-culture/san-francisco-mint-to-produce-1st-curved-coin

Deertick
03-14-2014, 03:59 PM
Better pics: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/03/13/a-curved-baseball-coin-its-happening-and-heres-what-it-will-look-like/

Gary Dunaier
03-15-2014, 12:12 AM
The $5 coin mentioned in the original post will be a gold coin, so it will be pretty expensive. But there will also be silver $1 coins and clad half dollar coins, with the same design and same curved feature, so those who can't afford the gold $5 coin won't get shut out.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/wcsstore/ConsumerDirect/images/catalog/en_US/B31_detailed.jpg http://catalog.usmint.gov/wcsstore/ConsumerDirect/images/catalog/en_US/B33_detailed.jpg http://catalog.usmint.gov/wcsstore/ConsumerDirect/images/catalog/en_US/B35_detailed.jpg

More information from the U.S. Mint's website: link (http://www.usmint.gov/batterup/?action=curvedcoin).

bn2cardz
03-27-2014, 11:31 AM
I did place my order today. This is the first commemorative coin I have ever bought from the MINT.

I can't believe that people are able to sell these for a premium on ebay even as a presale when people could just go to the site to buy one (I saw some Gold ones sell for $100 on ebay).

thetruthisoutthere
03-27-2014, 12:41 PM
I did place my order today. This is the first commemorative coin I have ever bought from the MINT.

I can't believe that people are able to sell these for a premium on ebay even as a presale when people could just go to the site to buy one (I saw some Gold ones sell for $100 on ebay).

None of the Gold Coins have sold for $100.00.

Also, some people don't like to buy directly from the US Mint.

bn2cardz
03-27-2014, 01:31 PM
None of the Gold Coins have sold for $100.00.

Also, some people don't like to buy directly from the US Mint.

Sorry I meant $100 over the price of Gold Coins being sold directly from the US Mint.

GoCubsGo32
03-28-2014, 07:18 AM
Are you guys able to buy it? I keep trying to buy it from the MINT website and it brings up a new page saying high volume of traffic, waiting room? Really?

tazdmb
03-28-2014, 07:33 AM
Just placed order and no wait (waited over an hour yesterday just to get booted out), FYI-the Gold Five Dollar appears to be sold out, which may account for the high ebay value.

bn2cardz
03-28-2014, 08:32 AM
Just placed order and no wait (waited over an hour yesterday just to get booted out), FYI-the Gold Five Dollar appears to be sold out, which may account for the high ebay value.

It wasn't sold out yesterday when I posted that about the prices. It was actually selling for more prior to the Mint selling them. Even then I got in yesterday at noon and they were available, then I checked out of curiosity at around 4pm and they were still available. People just don't look outside their comfort zone apparently.

Gary Dunaier
04-04-2014, 09:27 PM
As far as I know, the gold coins ARE sold out - but the Mint is still accepting orders, which they'll put on a waiting list in case any orders already placed don't go through - but I believe the waitlist is first come, first served, so my guess - and that's all it is, just a GUESS - is that at this point it would be a waste of time to get on the waitlist.

The silver dollar and clad half dollar are still available.

thetruthisoutthere
04-05-2014, 06:27 AM
The Gold Proof and Gold Uncirculated coin are "Sold Out."

There is no longer a "Waiting List."

I have one "In Reserve" but it won't be delivered until July.

Maddog
04-05-2014, 09:23 AM
I actually went on the day they started selling them and the silver were already on back order. I still placed an order and was told delivery might not be until July/August.

thetruthisoutthere
04-05-2014, 09:58 AM
I actually went on the day they started selling them and the silver were already on back order. I still placed an order and was told delivery might not be until July/August.

I'll be getting my Silver Coins Mon or Tues. I got my order in at 12:15PM.

DaClyde
04-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Could someone explain why the US Mint issues new coins with a a face value that is about 95% lower than the cost to obtain the coin? A $5 gold coin that size is absurd. Why not at least make it a $20? Or for that matter, just make it generic commemorative coin, and not legal tender, since it will never be "spent"?

Gary Dunaier
04-11-2014, 08:01 PM
The silver dollars are now sold out. There may be a waiting list for those as well, I don't know.

thetruthisoutthere
04-12-2014, 07:09 AM
The silver dollars are now sold out. There may be a waiting list for those as well, I don't know.

Correct, Gary.

The Silver Dollars are now on "Waiting List" status meaning "Sold Out" unless there are cancellations.

The Half-Dollars are still available but if you order them through the US Mint but they won't be shipped until June 21st.

bn2cardz
04-12-2014, 07:12 AM
I received my coins yesterday. I am excited to have them.

thetruthisoutthere
04-12-2014, 07:49 AM
I received my coins yesterday. I am excited to have them.

Me, too. I received my Silver Proof Dollars and Clad Half-Dollars.

Beautiful coins, too.

Tigerden
04-14-2014, 04:01 PM
Me, too. I received my Silver Proof Dollars and Clad Half-Dollars.

Beautiful coins, too.

Congrats Christopher. Your photo is about the nicest I've seen. Looks nicer than the images from the mint. My silver proof is scheduled to ship on Wednesday. Can't wait to receive it.

thetruthisoutthere
04-14-2014, 04:14 PM
Congrats Christopher. Your photo is about the nicest I've seen. Looks nicer than the images from the mint. My silver proof is scheduled to ship on Wednesday. Can't wait to receive it.

Thanks, Adam.

If you remove the coin from the capsule be sure to use cotton gloves so as not to get your skin oils on the coin. I suggest leaving the coin in the capsule.