PDA

View Full Version : OT: Transfer files from seagate freeagent

jcmtiger
03-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Have a new computer, need to transfer my pictures from Seagate FreeAgent external backup to my new computer. Can't seem too figure it out, I don't want everything that is backed up. The new computer has Windows 8.

Thanks in advance

Leon, delete if in the wrong place.

Joe

Zach Wheat
03-12-2014, 10:33 PM
Your license is only for one PC. The problem is when your new PC recognizes the Free Agent drive, it tries to automatically install software and then register it using your existing license. The existing license is for your 1st PC not the 2nd one. Therefore, your Seagate backup software won't register due to the licensing restrictions and therefore you can't access the files via the Seagate software.

When you connect it to the new PC, cancel the automatic installation. You should have access to all of your old files, just not the backup software. You should be able to use your drive like a USB connected drive. Go to the backup folder and your files will be in there...just copy like you would normally.

Best of luck.

Z Wheat

jrenaut
03-13-2014, 12:54 PM
Are you saying that the software meant to backup your computer is only licensed for a single computer? So, backup all you want, but you have to pay to restore? That is absolutely despicable.

Zach Wheat
03-13-2014, 02:04 PM
No actually the proprietary software that comes with a Seagate FreeAgent drive can only be installed on 1 PC (the old PC). The license won't allow it to be transferred to his new PC...which automatically installs when he connects it to the new PC. That is the issue. He can restore & backup as much as he wants with the old PC. You can still use the drive by USB cable with the new PC.

There is no charge for restoring files that are backed up on the drive - as this is done automatically and saved on the drive when it is connected. Joe still has access to all his old files, he just has to copy them over manually now. BTW Joe, I have now upgraded to a WD (Western Digital) personal cloud. Has the same features as the Free Agent drives and has unlimited licenses, and connects wirelessly. The transfer speeds are quick as well and you can also access all of your data remotely or by iPad....meaning you can leave the drive in your office or at home. The transfer rates are quick enough such that I can watch movies saved on my drive from anywhere.

Z Wheat