PDA

View Full Version : Memorabilia Display Cases

eastonfalcon19
03-10-2014, 06:49 PM
I've seen some great display cases on here,so here's my question. Where can you get nice display cases to display your memorabilia? Please feel free to share some photos too. Thank you guys.

almostdone
03-10-2014, 07:14 PM
I have built most of my cases. Really only one is used for bulky memoriabilia. It contains a vintage glove, catchers mask and a ball. I have seen others though and find a good place for cases is thrift stores, antique auctions, antique store etc. You have to have in mind what you are looking to display and the size of the item(s). Once you do you have to visualize different display units to see if they can be repurposed. There are some beautiful cabinets, cases, and racks that can be used.

If you are looking for something a bit more utilitarian I would suggest going into a local store that might have a big turnover of specialty items sponsored by bigger companies.

My example is there is a semi local chain of smaller sporting good stores in the southeast called Hibbitts sporting goods. I know the store manager of one across the street from my work. He called me last year and told me he had a display case he needed to throw away and wanted to know if I wanted it. I just had to come pick it up myself. Fossil had sponsored a display in all the stores to sell thier watches and wallets. Once they were done with thier promotion the managers were ordered to throw the case in the dumpster. Voila! A nice, glass ( and free) display case.

The main point is to be on the lookout and think outside the box and you never know what might turn up.

Drew

Pictured is two displays I made. I one described above and the other my Sandy Koufax display. Enjoy

eastonfalcon19
03-10-2014, 08:19 PM
Thanks Drew for sharing. I am going to take your advice and start looking around at antique shops, auctions etc. Great display cases. Love the Sandy Koufax case.

Lordstan
03-10-2014, 08:41 PM
Ron,
Near you there is a Cottage Crafters on rt 248. This place is great for this type of stuff. I have bought a couple of curios and displays from the one close to me.
Best,
Mark

Duluth Eskimo
03-10-2014, 11:27 PM
Depending on your location, in most larger cities there are businesses that sell used store fixtures. The one in my area has literally hundreds of showcases for sale along with a ton of different display stands, hooks, etc. sometimes they want good money for them, but they often will negotiate as most of the items they sell are bought in bulk when the businesses are closing.

I have seen others use and I have bought personally ikea in the past. Also, Craigslist can be a good option too. Good luck, Jason

gashouse34
03-10-2014, 11:41 PM
+1 on the Craigslist idea...also definitely garage sales. You can haggle the price down most of the time. Estate Sales, Flea Markets and Antique Shops will always have them but sometimes you have to really search to find one that you can get a bargain on.

eastonfalcon19
03-11-2014, 07:10 PM
Thank you guys for all of the information. Much appreciated.