PDA

View Full Version : Signed Ball -- honus Wagner, Ralph Kiner, Hank Greenberg

rottnsox
03-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Folks

I am brand new here, and not a collector. I have only one item of potential value, but have no experience to know if it is truly of any value or how best to find out. Back in the 1910s-30s, a semi-pro baseball team played in Scottdale, PA, my hometown. My great grandfather was somehow involved with this team (probably as an investor) and therefore had access to the organization and related professional teams, including the Pittsburgh Pirates (just 45 minutes away). Because of his access, he was able to collect quite a few signatures on a baseball and pass that down until it came to me. The most prominent signatures on this ball belong to Honus Wagner, Ralph Kiner, and Hank Greenberg. The ball is not in particularly good condition: faded leather; some scruff marks (including over some of the key signatures); and faded ink. My dad, who gave me the ball, told me to look into selling it to help pay for my five kids' college education (man, is that expensive!), but I'm not sure I could get very much for the ball -- perhaps the sentimental value is higher than the actual value.

So, I am seeking advice from the "pros" on how I may be able to verify the value (without mailing it off to a company on the other side of the country), and then sell it (if it proves to be of sufficient value). Suggestions? FYI, I live just outside of Macon, Georgia.

Thank you!

John V
03-09-2014, 08:20 PM
The autograph experts here will ask you to post several high quality photos of the ball. Then you will get several opinions without sending the ball anywhere.

Bpm0014
03-09-2014, 09:27 PM
Agreed. Post some good pictures. Although the ball will be worth something, probably not nearly enough to put 5 kids through school. Sorry!