PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Photo Guys Here

MooseDog
03-09-2014, 07:19 PM
By a sheer stroke of luck I came into a nice lot of about 1000 photos, negatives and slides from a local paper. The paper is now out of business (small town paper done in by the Internet) and the majority of the pictures local sports related with a lot of 49ers, Giants, A's and Raiders (and a handful of Sharks).

The photos appear to be all "for production" type prints. Some have captions and stamps on the back, some marked up for cropping, etc. Some are nicely printed 8x10s on regular glossy photo stock, some on RC paper.

The negatives are for the most part black and white and in rolls.

The football pics have a lot of names from the great run of the 49ers in the 1980s, especially Montana, Rice, Lott, Craig, Walsh, Clark, etc.

The baseball pics feature both the stars of the A's and Giants who were both pretty good at the time (Will Clark, McGwire & Canseco, Larussa, Henderson, etc).

Other than a couple of the A's pics I'm probably looking to move this stuff. Any ideas for the best way to go about it? My basic thoughts were try all the printed photos at 9.99 auctions and let 'em roll. On the negatives I can scan them and I suppose offer them "Per roll". The slides, I would think pull the best shots and stars and sell individually, then lot out the rest?

I don't mind spending the time to sell and present the stuff in the right way, I enjoy photograpy a lot and being a SF Bay Area boy these things bring back great memories (except for the steroid memories). But maybe larger lots might be a better way to go. I suppose consigning to one of the photo specific auctions would be an option as well.

All comments welcome and thanks ahead of time!

drcy
03-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Original modern players photos from a local newspaper might do well. Just because its modern doesn't make it more common than old photos. If anything, it might be rarer-- after all, news photography is all digital and computer-to-computer now. Slides, rolls of film and 'hard copy' originals printed from negatives are relics of the past. Believe it or not, quality original non-digital photos of Will Clark or Jerry Rice may be rarer than those of Babe Ruth. I used to collect in a specific magazine-related photography area and the quality modern originals by famous photographers were often as rare and as valuable as the vintage ones.

To me, it all depends on the photos, their quality, originality and sources. Same goes with the rolls of film. Can't comment on what to do and how to sell without knowing the content and quality.