PDA

View Full Version : Golfing surprise guest

billyb
03-09-2014, 12:50 PM
On vacation in South Carolina, I played 18 holes this morning, and on the first hole, I noticed a guy by himself ahead of us. He came riding up to us and asked if he could join us, we agreed and he introduced himself to me as James Smith. He said, they call me "Bone Crusher".
Thinking nothing of it, we played a few more holes and while in conversation with him he said he used to box, that he was the first boxer to go 12 rounds with Mike Tyson. Then it dawned on me, "Bone Crusher Smith", yea, he used to box a little, well enough to be the champ heavyweight in 1986.
The round of golf went great, and he is a very nice guy. He autographed my scorecard on the 18th hole, then had us come to his car where he gave us a photo of him doing battle with Mike Tyson.. He autographed the photos for us. He then called us back over to his car and said, I'll bet you haven't been too close to one of these, he opened his trunk and then opened a metal brief case and inside was his championship belt from 1986. Very cool

grainsley
03-09-2014, 05:29 PM
Cool......how's his golf game?

ibuysportsephemera
03-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Cool......how's his golf game?

+1

billyb
03-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Grant,
Not bad, he can only get the club back half way, but he down the middle every time, about 180. He has a nice touch around the green, he made a short chip to with I foot of the cup and I told him, "nice soft touch, when is the last time someone told you that"??? He just laughed.....thank god.
When he first told me he went 12 rounds with Tyson, I asked him if he still had both ears? Then I apologized stating, I am sure you heard that before, he laughed and said "oh yea, many times". Just a very good guy.

grainsley
03-09-2014, 08:10 PM
Thanks, nice to know some of them are human....