PDA

View Full Version : Was this a good deal?

t206fix
03-08-2014, 11:01 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201042648179

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but just curious. I don't know how to put a value on those rarer backs.

Thanks for any input.

(I was not the winner, nor did I notice this auction when it was live.)

freakhappy
03-08-2014, 11:09 PM
I'm no back expert, but IMO you got a good deal...very tough back. At the very least I would say you definitely didn't lose out.

t206fix
03-08-2014, 11:16 PM
Congrats on your 100th post, but, alas, I was not the winner :(.

Just curious what this would bring if the seller actually posted Pied 42....

t206fix
03-08-2014, 11:20 PM
On a side note, here is another card that I wonder about...

Who'd pay $260 for a cut out Cobb...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360847105443

freakhappy
03-08-2014, 11:34 PM

Thanks, man! :D

It's always tough to tell on some of these front-end tough backs. You don't see them for sale much and the condition of this one is kinda rough, but the player and back carries a lot of weight here. I feel like it's closer to 1k, if not a little more...but again, this is just my opinion since I've never seen one sell before for this particular card. I wonder if because the back wasn't headlined, it received less attention. It seems like this sort of thing is common for Piedy 42's because some people aren't educated on them and it looks like a regular Piedmont back.

About the Cobb...here is another one that is almost half gone that just sold on eBay for around the same price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Piedmont-Ty-Cobb-Bat-Off-BVG-A-Authentic-Detroit-Tigers-/360871784016?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item5405a26e50

It's amazing that someone would pay that much for a Cobb that is so shellacked, but I guess there is a market for it.

t206fix
03-08-2014, 11:44 PM
Thanks, man! :D

About the Cobb...here is another one that is almost half gone that just sold on eBay for around the same price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Piedmont-Ty-Cobb-Bat-Off-BVG-A-Authentic-Detroit-Tigers-/360871784016?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item5405a26e50

It's amazing that someone would pay that much for a Cobb that is so shellacked, but I guess there is a market for it.

Ha - or the fact that half of his head is gone! I guess I would need at least 97% of the card there before I shell out that kind of money. But as I type this, I ponder, would I pay $290 for a Cracker Jack Joe Jackson in that condition just to be in the game... probably. No, definitely!

I was thinking that a P42 common goes for that... Cy Young- $2K-$3K... but like I said, I need the experts to weigh in on this because I don't know.

Sean
03-08-2014, 11:47 PM
I would put it's value at well over $1,000. A Cy Young with a Pied 42 is a very valuable card, even in fair condition.

freakhappy
03-08-2014, 11:51 PM
Ha - or the fact that half of his head is gone! I guess I would need at least 97% of the card there before I shell out that kind of money. But as I type this, I ponder, would I pay $290 for a Cracker Jack Joe Jackson in that condition just to be in the game... probably. No, definitely!

I was thinking that a P42 common goes for that... Cy Young- $2K-$3K... but like I said, I need the experts to weigh in on this because I don't know.

A CJ Jackson is a whole different ball game. Some PSA fully intact Cobb's barely go for $500 sometimes....a Jackson in the same condition is at least 10x that! I would no doubt take a Jackson shellacked in a heartbeat for that price...that's a steal!

On the Young...I don't think it goes over 2k in this condition, but it depends how rare the combo is too. In reality all it takes is for two people to need/want this card and it could end up being a 5k+ card...so to put an actual "going price" on this card is almost impossible.

t206fix
03-09-2014, 12:05 AM
A CJ Jackson is a whole different ball game. Some PSA fully intact Cobb's barely go for $500 sometimes....a Jackson in the same condition is at least 10x that! I would no doubt take a Jackson shellacked in a heartbeat for that price...that's a steal!

Good point - it gets me to thinking... how much of CJ Joe Jackson would pay $290 for??? Let's say that SGC/PSA slabbed a Joe Jackson that was barely there... maybe the bottom of the card with his name. But they verified that at some point, it was Shoeless. You've probably seen that guy that posts on here with his mangled t206 Waddell, but at some point, wouldn't "not enough" of the card be not enough.

Check this out...$300 for just the back of a Jackie Robinson RC!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-Leaf-79-Jackie-Robinson-BLANK-FRONT-BVG-Authentic-/310821631950?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item485e69b7ce&nma=true&si=Kbdt5n5ADV4XWQv%252BZJjLRnvV3YY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

freakhappy
03-09-2014, 12:30 AM
Wow! I actually think that Robinson is sort of a steal at that price. I mean, it's an error/freak card, right? And at least it's fully intact! :)

And to your question regarding how much of a Jackson would have to be present to pay $260 for...well, IMO there would have to be around 1/3 of the card, but I just really dislike cards that are so mangled or half missing...especially if I have to fork over $300 just to get it. If it were a Wagner, it would be a different story. If the only part of the Jackson card that was present was the bottom half...say the name bar. I wouldn't pay anymore than $100 and that's pushing it for me. I just don't have any interest in that sort of thing. If I knew I could flip it, then that's a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

t206fix
03-09-2014, 12:48 AM
I don't know. That card looks skinned to me but what do I know. Bgs gave it good marks.:eek:

I think if some one posted a cj Joe Jackson that was 10-20% there but authenticated by PSA/SGC, it would go easily for $300.... maybe more. Hell.. Id pay $100 bucks just to say I had a Joe Jackson.

freakhappy
03-09-2014, 01:17 AM
I don't know. That card looks skinned to me but what do I know. Bgs gave it good marks.:eek:

I think if some one posted a cj Joe Jackson that was 10-20% there but authenticated by PSA/SGC, it would go easily for $300.... maybe more. Hell.. Id pay $100 bucks just to say I had a Joe Jackson.

You're right...if it's skinned, which it probably is, then it isn't worth too much to me.

I think a lot of people would pay that price to say they had a Joe Jackson even if it was only 10% there, but I'm not sure if I would be all in on that proposition. A Wagner...yeah, now I'd be all about that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K-Nole
03-09-2014, 07:29 AM

I am relatively new to the whole T card thing.
I know the different advertising backs, so what is the "rareness" of this back.
Is it the factory#? If so, what is "common" and what is "rare".

Thanks for the time and patience with a newbie.

t206trader
03-09-2014, 08:37 AM
Factory number 42 piedmont backs are quite rare and carry a significant premium. No other factory number for Piedmont carries a premium.

teetwoohsix
03-09-2014, 08:48 AM
I would put it's value at well over $1,000. A Cy Young with a Pied 42 is a very valuable card, even in fair condition.

+1 I think it was definitely a good deal!! An awesome card to have for sure.

Sincerely, Clayton

wolf441
03-09-2014, 09:01 AM
+1 I think it was definitely a good deal!! An awesome card to have for sure.

Sincerely, Clayton

Agreed. I was the high bidder until the last 8 seconds and then got caught just above my high bid. I should have gone higher. Definitely a $1K card IMHO.

scooter729
03-09-2014, 11:41 AM
Glad I checked out the thread - I was actually the high bidder, and received the card this week and was quite happy with it!

I figured it was at least a $1,000+ card, and my snipe was a bit under that. I figured it sold only for $695 since it wasn't advertised as a Factory 42.

So I hope that you're all right about it being a good deal - hopefully others will agree if/when I ever go to sell it!

Scott