PDA

View Full Version : Card sizes

mantleman
03-08-2014, 09:56 AM
Hi......

I have been breaking a few of my 1960's Topps baseball cards out their PSA/SGC/BVG holders the last few days. Mostly commons but some stars so no real concern for any of them to be trimmed. In doing so I have noticed very slight size differences in the cards themselves....maybe a 1/32nd of an inch. Is it to be assumed that the cutting process of the cards in the 60s allowed for some slight differences in size or were they cut with a process that was very accurate and there should not really be any difference in size......

Please let me know your thoughts/experiences.........and knowledge of the cutting procedures back then.

Cheers,

Andy

KCRfan1
03-08-2014, 07:40 PM
The cards should be the same size, 2 1/2 by 3 1/2. Back in the day, cards were cut with a vibrating wire which caused some cards to have a " rough " cut when the wire began to wear out. The grading companies do not penalize for rough cuts.

steve B
03-09-2014, 09:04 PM
There is some variation in size. Either way. Occasionally some are too small, some too large. Of course with trimming the number of small ones is a lot bigger now.

I have a few large ones, usually they're taller.

I knew OPC cut with the wire, but always thought Topps cut with a bladed cutter. The wire does usually leave a rough edge.

Many if not most more modern cards are die cut. 88 score for sure, as well as the very recent Gypsy Queen and I think Allen and Ginter.

Steve B