PDA

View Full Version : Vin Scully

mx14377
03-07-2014, 12:42 PM
It took me a while but I finally scored a legit Vin Scully Auto. I may be a bit partial for being a Dodger fan but I think he's the greatest announcer ever in baseball. But I'm open to other suggestions. Thoughts?

Peter_Spaeth
03-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Bobby Thomson...up there swingin'...He's had two out of three, a single and a double, and Billy Cox is playing him right on the third-base line...One out, last of the ninth...Branca pitches...Bobby Thomson takes a strike called on the inside corner...Bobby hitting at .292...He's had a single and a double and he drove in the Giants' first run with a long fly to center...Brooklyn leads it 4-2...Hartung down the line at third not taking any chances...Lockman with not too big of a lead at second, but he'll be runnin' like the wind if Thomson hits one...Branca throws...[sound of bat meeting ball]
There's a long drive...it's gonna be, I believe...THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! Bobby Thomson hits into the lower deck of the left-field stands! The Giants win the pennant and they're goin' crazy, they're goin' crazy! HEEEY-OH!!!'' [ten-second pause for crowd noise]

I don't believe it! I don't believe it! I do not believe it! Bobby Thomson...hit a line drive...into the lower deck...of the left-field stands...and this blame place is goin' crazy! The Giants! Horace Stoneham has got a winner! The Giants won it...by a score of 5 to 4...and they're pickin' Bobby Thomson up...and carryin' him off the field!

blackandgold
03-07-2014, 12:51 PM
Cut to Charles Emerson Winchester III laying unconcious with his Brooklyn Dodgers cap on his chest.

Peter_Spaeth
03-07-2014, 12:53 PM
With regard to that "HEY-OHH" at the end, here is Don Delillo's brilliant account of it:

"Then he raises a pure shout, wordless, a holler from the old days -- it is fiddlin' time, it is mountain music on WCKY at five-thirty in the morning. The thing comes jumping right out of him, a jubilation, it might be heyyy-ho or it might be oh-boyyy shouted backwards or it might be something else entirely -- hard to tell when they don't use words. "

mx14377
03-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Us Dodger fans don't want to remember that call but it was memorable none the less.

stewbacca
03-07-2014, 01:49 PM
I hate the Dodgers, but I can listen to Vin all day long!!!

toppcat
03-08-2014, 07:11 AM
Wasn't that Russ Hodges?

chris6net
03-08-2014, 10:07 AM
I still remember his call in game 6 of the 1986 World Series. Whenever I hear it I still gets chills down my back.

h2oya311
03-08-2014, 02:02 PM
Mr. Scully (1966 "Best Wishes" Postcard):

http://photos.imageevent.com/derekgranger/almosthofcollection/websize/1966%20Scully.jpg

Two of these guys (Jack Buck and Harry Caray) weren't half bad either, (1969 Oversized Postcard):

http://photos.imageevent.com/derekgranger/almosthofcollection/websize/91969%20Buck.jpg

33rd Street
03-08-2014, 04:52 PM
What about Red Barbar, I'm a baltimore guy so Chuck Thompsons voice was the background to my childhood.

MooseDog
03-08-2014, 05:37 PM
When I was a kid growing up in Northern California I discovered I could get the Dodger games on KFI on clear nights. Sometimes I had to put the radio up by the window to get a signal but it was worth it. Loved listening to Vin and Jerry Doggett despite being an A's fan. I think of Vin as the Michael Jordan/Wayne Gretzky of radio men.

I think underrated, is Bill King who did the Giants and A's during his career, was great at describing what was going on and had a massive vocabulary. Less of a storyteller than Vin (who is by far the best at that), but to me he is and always will be the voice of Bay Area sports. King also did the Raiders and Warriors (and Cal football) with equal aplomb.

I may be in the minority but I like Jon Miller's voice and style too. I think he fits radio better than TV but ya gotta follow the money these days.

33rd Street
03-08-2014, 05:45 PM
I agree 100 percent on Miller I love the way he calls a game.

gregr2
03-08-2014, 05:49 PM
I live in Florida and whenever a Dodger home game comes on at 10:00 PM I always tune in to see if Vin is calling the game. I will sit up way too late listening to him and have no regrets, he is truly one of the greats.

team-of-rivals
03-09-2014, 05:46 AM
Saturday afternoon baseball......Vin Scully & Joe Garagiola calling a ballgame brings back many great memories!

baseball tourist
03-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Vin has amazing longevity but personally, I can't stand more than 10 mins of his game calling. It is the non-stop worthless info-fest that irks me. "David is a graduate of USC and is 6'2"", 195 lbs. his mother is a nurse at the state hospital and his favorite color is teal". Shut up already!!

MooseDog
03-09-2014, 11:22 AM
I can understand that sentiment but some of us (like me) our brains are wired for all that useless info. I know for me it sticks in there, yet someone tells me their name when introduced and I can't remember it 30 seconds later.

I have the exact same reaction to Tim McCarver, who has to explain everything as if you are seeing a baseball game for the first time. "The guy standing at the plate is holding what is called a bat, and he's trying to hit the thing that the guy on the little hill is throwing at him..."

Vin has amazing longevity but personally, I can't stand more than 10 mins of his game calling. It is the non-stop worthless info-fest that irks me. "David is a graduate of USC and is 6'2"", 195 lbs. his mother is a nurse at the state hospital and his favorite color is teal". Shut up already!!

steve_a
03-09-2014, 07:13 PM
Vin's the best. Harry Kalas was a close second.

HRBAKER
03-09-2014, 07:28 PM
.....used to be a fairly automatic autograph c/o the team. He seemed to stop several years ago. I haven't tried in many moons. He's pleasant enough to listen to unlike the previously mentioned Tim "Master of the Obvious" McCarver.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s172/hrbaker/AUTOS/vinscully.jpg

Hot Springs Bathers
03-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Jack Buck first Vin a very close second!

Peter_Spaeth
03-09-2014, 08:07 PM

When he was covering the WS the small world anecdotes used to annoy the heck out of me. "Did you know that back in 1967 his father and Dwight Gooden's great uncle played for the same little league coach in Plano, Texas?"

pbspelly
03-10-2014, 09:47 AM
Scully is one of my favorites. Ernie Harwell is up there too, IMO.

mx14377
03-11-2014, 03:38 PM
I live in Florida and whenever a Dodger home game comes on at 10:00 PM I always tune in to see if Vin is calling the game. I will sit up way too late listening to him and have no regrets, he is truly one of the greats.

Yeah, I'm in Florida also. Thank goodness for the MLB network. Although staying up till 1am watching a game can be rough.