PDA

View Full Version : SGC vs PSA (again)

Touch'EmAll
03-06-2014, 02:35 PM
I just received in the mail a beautiful 1962 Topps #300 Willie Mays SGC 84. Seems rock solid for the grade with better than avg. centering.

I paid $260. and I looked at this card on sold ebay listings in PSA 7 grade: $353. on bids, $350. BIN, and $293. on bids but with a heavy black line at bottom of card.

Wow, zowie! I haven't been much in cards lately, but are PSA prices that much more than SGC? Really? Has SGC taken some sort of hit in the card market lately?

Then I looked at SMR which prices it $195 in PSA 7. Again Wow, zowie! Is SMR nowadays that much out of tune with reality?

Here it is and very happy with the acquisition.

Wolfgang427
03-06-2014, 03:14 PM
The main reason is the PSA registry set. People pay more for the same grade in a PSA holder because it's already in that holder. Though I agree that some SGC cards are better for the grade then say the same grade PSA card, if you have a PSA registry set it doesn't matter. Since I don't do registry sets I say buy the card first for what it is and not for what's on the label.

bobbyw8469
03-06-2014, 03:14 PM
The answer to all questions....YES! Glad I could help! ;)

Touch'EmAll
03-06-2014, 03:47 PM
Like I said, I have been out of cards for a while, but it used to be close enough prices between SGC and PSA that crossing over (with all the fees) was not worth it.

But now, with the bigger price differences, I might hit the safe deposit box, dig out some mighty fine SGC material, join PSA, and do the crossover thing. Probably come out way ahead on the market value even incurring the PSA fees, yes?

Anyone with recent crossover results come out looking good after all said and done? Anyone recently done SGC to PSA crossovers and was not happy with results?

Thanks.

Rich Klein
03-06-2014, 03:53 PM
I've talked to Joe O about the PSA SMR and frankly they do not want (at this time) to spend the time and energy needed to really update the price guide

It's a lower prioirity than articles for the SMR.

I discussed many years ago with Joe (after I left Beckett) really spending the time and money to update the SMR but he's OK with it as it is so I am as well.

I still think it would not be that hard to update the SMR properly -- and worth it to PSA but that is just my opinion only (MOO)

Rich

33rd Street
03-06-2014, 04:11 PM
I've had great results crossing over SGC cards as long as they are centered well. My biggest success was a 88 to a 10 on a 1968 Brooks Robinson. Lately I actually think SGC has gotten a little tougher on given grades just an opinion.

mattsedate
04-09-2014, 03:25 PM
PSA is the Coca-Cola of grading.