PDA

View Full Version : What if............

frankbmd
03-06-2014, 09:11 AM
the Live Auction section were changed to run more like a regular periodic auction like Joe's for example, meaning have all the lots for the week close at the same time on the same day.

The closing bell madness of crazed bidders during the final minutes of an Ebay auction and the frenzied anticipation of extended bidding periods in other auctions is seldom seen in the Live Auction section of the forum because every auction closes at a unique time that is sometimes difficult to find or it has been bumped so far down the list that it is considered sold.

As it is lots get scrambled with new listings supplanting auctions that are closing on that day. Everyone is bumping their auction back to the top. Closing times are all over the map and frequently not included in the title, etc

An "Ending Soonest" option, if possible, would be an alternative, recognizing that there are bidders who may not be available or willing to commit at the same time each week. This would also eliminate the need for bumping listing to the top as they would rise to the top automatically. I actually like this idea better. It would also be nice if completed auctions disappeared from the list of active auctions upon conclusion.

It seems to me that with a few changes, if possible, it would lead to fewer bargains going unnoticed by bidders and better more timely exposure and perhaps more revenue for sellers.

This is not a specific proposal, but merely opens the door for discussion of improvements to the Live Auction section and the remainder of the BST forums for that matter.

Any thoughts??

shernan30
03-06-2014, 09:17 AM
Sounds like a good idea. The logistics of making it happen may be a little more difficult, but work investigating further.

Leon
03-06-2014, 09:37 AM
Here is another "what if" that I have been seriously contemplating implementing as soon as today.

What if a large ebay seller wants to sell on the BST AND since they don't want to hog up the live auction section, or other sections, they pay to have their own BST subsection? There would be 0 cost to our members and no markup on the buys there. It might go into effect as soon as today......If it is implemented it will be on a trial basis.

and to address Frank's concern, we could mandate the ending time be in every title of every listing, that might do the trick there??

T2069bk
03-06-2014, 10:24 AM
Leon- I am all for the addition of other sellers in their own paid section, but would it be by seller?

Frank- I agree on the heavy number of old auctions but I like looking there for old market prices and trends in what has sold (frequency of availability etc. Maybe adding an extra column with closing date etc that we can filter?

frankbmd
03-06-2014, 10:39 AM
Leon- I am all for the addition of other sellers in their own paid section, but would it be by seller?

Frank- I agree on the heavy number of old auctions but I like looking there for old market prices and trends in what has sold (frequency of availability etc. Maybe adding an extra column with closing date etc that we can filter?

Tim, I didn't mean to delete closed auctions, just to move them below the active auctions. Piece of cake, right Leon.:eek:

Leon
03-06-2014, 10:42 AM

Couple things- If we implement that "seller paid" BST section it is going to be on a trial basis. That seller will have their own section for listing whatever they want to, however they want to...as they are paying a fee to do it. Until that type section is proven I wouldn't want any other sellers to have a section. If it works, then we can go from there. But we aren't talking a small charge, it would be significant. So a private seller would still want to utilize all of the other BST sections that are free, and will be free, to post in.
To reiterate there would be no additional cost to buyers...so if there was an auction that ended at $50, the cost would be $50 (plus a non-jacked up shipping charge)

On the current Live Auction section I don't think we can add other columns. I really think if we mandate the endings in the titles it might work, unless there is a better solution. If every one posting threads there sees every single thread title with an ending date then they will get the message and put one, and if they don't then that is what a PM is for :) ........

Leon
03-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Tim, I didn't mean to delete closed auctions, just to move them below the active auctions. Piece of cake, right Leon.:eek:

Sure, I can make you the moderator/thread mover of that section.....no worries :)

John V
03-06-2014, 10:48 AM
Here is another "what if" that I have been seriously contemplating implementing as soon as today.

What if a large ebay seller wants to sell on the BST AND since they don't want to hog up the live auction section, or other sections, they pay to have their own BST subsection? There would be 0 cost to our members and no markup on the buys there. It might go into effect as soon as today......If it is implemented it will be on a trial basis.

and to address Frank's concern, we could mandate the ending time be in every title of every listing, that might do the trick there??

Just auctions with no Buy It Nows?

BlueSky
03-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Leon,

Interesting idea, how would that affect my periodic use of "New Posts"? It might adversely affect using that link by getting a large list of these paid type of BST posts to look through while looking through other new posts.

Marty

Leon
03-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Leon,

Interesting idea, how would that affect my periodic use of "New Posts"? It might adversely affect using that link by getting a large list of these paid type of BST posts to look through while looking through other new posts.

Marty

That section would be a captive section for new threads for that one seller. All other sections remain the same. I envision that section being right below the Live Auction section and above the 19th Century section. NO other sellers would be affected whatsoever as it is a section that only that company paying for the privilege would post new threads in.

As for a Buy it Now or fixed sales, I could see that seller having those too....no reason not to, but that would be up to them.