PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine News Cobb PC Fake?

chipperhank44
03-02-2014, 05:02 PM
This Cobb sold a couple weeks ago on Ebay, and I noticed it appears to have been cut with rounded corners (unlike any other I've seen). Last summer I almost purchased a similar 1926-29 Lou Gehrig PC back exhibit until I noticed the rounded corners were not from wear, but rather cut that way. Both the Cobb and Gehrig sold for over 1K.

As a fairly new collector I just wanted to confirm that this Cobb is not authentic. A Wolverine News Cobb is one of my most sought after cards, but obviously Id prefer an authentic PC.

chipperhank44
03-02-2014, 05:03 PM
Here's the back

gnaz01
03-02-2014, 05:34 PM
I was the under bidder but it looked good to me

chipperhank44
03-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Hey Greg, would you mind explaining why it looked good to you? I've never seen one with rounded corners, and the corners look to have been manufactured that way. Just trying to gain some knowledge on PC collecting.

pencil1974
03-02-2014, 07:53 PM
I talked to the seller who through up a red flag saying it was from the 40's he thought. It did not look good to me after purchasing quite a few 07 Cobb postcards this one did not look right. The reason it was a red flag though to me was any card dealer worth his salt won't let a card go like that ungraded, makes zero sense not to spend the $30.

The Gehrig you referred to was also a PC along with another Wolverine Cobb PC as well. Those cards along with some other Ruths were part of a big scam that the person did for a while until they were got caught and jetted from eBay.

Just my opinion and since I'm stating one I think I have to list my full name ;)
Brad Pencil

insidethewrapper
03-02-2014, 08:05 PM
I have a few Wolverine News Postcards and some graded with rounded corners.

insidethewrapper
03-02-2014, 08:14 PM
Here's a couple I have :135564

calvindog
03-02-2014, 08:30 PM
I've owned three Cobbs and none had rounded corners.

pencil1974
03-03-2014, 09:35 AM
I think the difference is that your rounded corners look like they were done over time, the rounded corners on the Cobb PC look too perfect. It would be nice to know if the person who actually bought it is a forum member and had it graded. I do admit I have bought cards before that I thought might be fake and found out they were real and vice versa.

Leon
03-04-2014, 04:23 PM
I think the difference is that your rounded corners look like they were done over time, the rounded corners on the Cobb PC look too perfect. It would be nice to know if the person who actually bought it is a forum member and had it graded. I do admit I have bought cards before that I thought might be fake and found out they were real and vice versa.

+1 Corners don't round that evenly and cleanly through normal wear. It makes no sense. (unless it's not a real card).

I have bought more fakes and reprints than I can count. Most times I got refunds, other times it was a cost of learning.