PDA

View Full Version : How is the Chicago Sun Times (Fanatics) Show?

joed25
03-01-2014, 09:05 PM
I am looking to go to more big card shows this year (besides the National). Anyone ever attend the Sun Times Shows? I live in NJ and I would like to know if this is one of the bigger shows in the country and is it worth it to fly in for it. What other card shows should I think about traveling to? Thank you.

E93
03-01-2014, 11:15 PM
The National is the biggest show by far and worth traveling to if you can. I used to go to the Chicago Sun Times show in the '90's when I was in grad school. It was a great show then. I'm not sure how it is these days.
JimB

groundhog
03-01-2014, 11:25 PM
Never been, but my lcs owner said it was a bit down this year.

Wildfireschulte
03-02-2014, 08:17 AM
Although a far cry from what it used to be, The Sun Times Show is still the best show in Chicagoland by far for vintage cards (except when the National comes to town) with most of the major regional and many of the national dealers and auction houses. A major focus of this show has always been autographs, so it seems that about 75% of the collectors that walk thru the door are only there to get something signed. I think that George Johnson still runs the show. Like all of the major card shows, it has evolved. About 20 years ago they had a separate area called the "Beanie Baby Pavillion" - remember those?

Blitzu
03-02-2014, 09:17 AM
I've been going to that show for most of my life. I even think that was where I met Mickey Mantle. It seems to be getting smaller each year but it's probably that I'm just getting bigger. They usually have all the big dealers, auction houses and graders there. It seems to flip flop some years on whether PSA will grade and encapsulate on site. They usually have several large vendors selling boxes and cases of the newest stuff. I've sort of been annoyed each year with the growing number of vendors with nothing but those uniform/bat/signature cards. I personally hate those things. There's a small area for food and the autograph area usually has decent players show up. I've seen some pretty incredible cards there on display over the years. I remember seeing my first real T206 Wagner there, and the amazing Ty Cobb tin Legendary sold in their auction a few years back. Overall a worth while show to attend IMHO.

joed25
03-02-2014, 09:55 AM
Thank you everyone for your replies

darkhorse9
03-02-2014, 06:25 PM
I go to these shows several times a year. It's usually the same group of dealers when it comes to vintage. There's more and more "shiny stuff" showing up lately.
What I'm really starting to see is the bigger dealers are bringing less and less product with them. Battersbox used to always be at the show with a huge selection of well-priced vintage and a great discount box. The last show they were at all I saw was one guy from Battersbox sitting at a table with a couple of complete sets on the table. I had trouble even finding their table because of that.

There seems to be more and more "created collectibles" like art prints framed pictures and things like that and a lot more supplies and such.

Prices are pretty good with most dealers willing to work out deals, particularly if your buying any kind of volume.