PDA

View Full Version : Prices for tobacco and similar

theshleps
02-28-2014, 09:54 AM
Do you think all signed T206's are now going to be in the $1000 and up category? Are alot of us now priced out of the market. Should I kick myself for trading T206 collector my signed Fred Clarke? Should I sell my signed Hugh Duffy 1895 mayo cut plug and expect to retire from the proceeds.
In other words do you guys think this upward jump will continue or are there only a few collectors out there that have driven it up and once they get what they want, prices will become more "reasonable"?

packs
02-28-2014, 10:09 AM
If you check out the thread on the first page, the price was high because two people were interested in the card, with one bidding up the other.

I don't think it was a realistic price all things being equal. What I mean is, if casually interested collectors were bidding on it, and not two people whose collections are focused so heavily on signed pre-war, the price would have been a lot lower. The poster who lost out said no one but the two of them were willing to bid over $1,200.

theshleps
02-28-2014, 10:25 AM
What about the general trend? Do you think there is only a handful or collectors willing to pay high prices for signed pre war or are the numbers increasing and thus the prices or are they all speculators or hoarder?

packs
02-28-2014, 10:56 AM
My opinion (only my opinion) is that prices are so strong because the few collectors who focus heavily on the material are very active right now. If they dropped out, I don't think prices would remain high with just the casual collector interest. Though I do think the cards will retain significant value, just not at the same level.

Bpm0014
02-28-2014, 12:09 PM
I beleive that the prices on signed T206s will remain strong for a very long time. Most collectors are now starting to realize just how rare these are. Is it true that there are roughly only about 75 signed T206s out there? Basically just as rare as a T206 Wagner...

theshleps
02-28-2014, 01:00 PM
Check Pauls site T206collector.com. he has about 50 himself. There are probably 100 Marquards out there and a few others in quantity like Doyle, Snodgrass etc. I have a few signed 202's and 201's which are much rarer as are CJ's and 205's. Not sure how much those have gone up as haven't tried to sell any but once I get back to my collection (in safe deposit box in another state) I may let one of my 202 Zach Wheat go for the right trade

packs
02-28-2014, 01:21 PM
Cracker Jacks and T205's I think have a lot going for them since they're widely collected sets. Not too sure how a T202 or T201 would do, but a HOFer is forever a HOFer. Not too many of them come up for sale so hard to tell what they would sell for.

milkit1
03-02-2014, 01:01 PM
When I started collecting signed 33s in 1988 I couldn't believe no one else was collecting them. It wasnt until about 2005 that signed pre war cards started to take off. Im 100% convinced that signed baseball cards are the best items to have signed and that all pre war will hit a high mark. Im sure glad I got my 310 signed 33s :)

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
03-06-2014, 07:30 AM
Do you think all signed T206's are now going to be in the $1000 and up category? Are alot of us now priced out of the market. Should I kick myself for trading T206 collector my signed Fred Clarke? Should I sell my signed Hugh Duffy 1895 mayo cut plug and expect to retire from the proceeds.
In other words do you guys think this upward jump will continue or are there only a few collectors out there that have driven it up and once they get what they want, prices will become more "reasonable"?

I think most prices will be over $1,000. People seem to be going after these things pretty hard now. Do you have a scan of the Duffy? Is it graded?

T206Collector
03-06-2014, 10:25 AM
The Duffy was purchased by me here, and then traded:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2010/972.html

<<Should I kick myself for trading T206 collector my signed Fred Clarke?>>

I continue to hope that you don't regret the trade that brought this to me too much -- as I recall you got three signed pre-war cards for it, including a killer T202 Wheat. Hopefully it comes as some small consolation that the Clarke is in a good home where he is cared for and cherished regularly.

To answer your primary question, I think there is a lot of room for growth in some areas of the signed card world. What I think is critical to understanding the market is that the medium is paramount. I just purchased this signed "card" of Marquard from 1911 on ebay in December for $100.

The same beautiful signature on a 1911 T206 Marquard would go for 10x that at least. The desirability of the set is what is driving the price. Marquard on a reprint is a $10 card. His signature is so common. Crazy common. But, combine it with a desirable set and you've got a four-figure card.

T206 is the most desirable set in pre-war, and it is tough to find a player from the set who signed one of his cards. Marquard died in 1980, which is a reasonable cut off. One of the reasons that signed Goudeys never did much for me is that many of the players lived well into the 1980s, when collecting really took off. But, I still can't believe what a signed Elmer Flick T206 brought in the recent Heritage Auction. I'd like to believe that those prices will come down to earth a little. But, who knows. It would take a lot to outbid me on a signed T206 pose I do not already have. For those, just get out of my way!

:D

theshleps
03-06-2014, 10:42 AM
I think our trades in all were win-win. We both gave up some things we'd love to have back and both got things we'd never part with. Can't complain. Clarke is the only one I really miss (tho I forget what all I traded). The Young is a one of a kind but signature was alittle light for me. I love the 202 Wheat and the 201 Wheat and the Duffy is a one of one that most would die for. Just wish their were more out there. The Marquard you just got on ebay was a steal. If I new it was listed we would have had a bidding war. I have Griffith in that set and while I don't like large cards, it is hard to find Griffith on a card except for a callahan. I've been away from my collection for 7 months but should hopefully see it again by June and re-organize. Never catalogued it or scanned it.

T206Collector
03-06-2014, 11:28 AM
I've been away from my collection for 7 months but should hopefully see it again by June and re-organize. Never catalogued it or scanned it.

I still have all of the scans you sent me back in 2008. Great stuff in that collection, and so little of it have I been able to pry away from you.

theshleps
03-06-2014, 12:37 PM
Since I haven't seen them in so long can you either post them or send to my email and let me know which I traded to you so I can assume I still have the rest. I haven't traded them to anyone else

T206Collector
03-06-2014, 01:43 PM
Email sent. All of the pre-WWI signed cards from those scans are included in the "other people's signed deadball cards" link on my website, where I keep scans of all the pre-WWI cards that I have ever seen.

www.T206Collector.com

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
03-06-2014, 10:06 PM
Thanks for sharing the pics, guys.