PDA

View Full Version : Gosh, I am glad I didn't win that!!

Leon
02-28-2014, 07:42 AM
In a reversal of the thinking in the thread started about not winning and sour grapes, this thread has to do with being runner up and being happy, after the fact.

I remember several years ago I was bidding in a live Mastro auction at the National. There was the first W555 full snapshot box that went to auction. I wanted it badly. So the bidding got to about 13k and it was me and one other bidder. We took it to about 25k and I quit. Corey S, (hey Corey) who was a very short distance from me, told me after the fact, he could see me not really wanting to bid but I was. He said by my actions he was happy for me that I didn't win it. So was I, after the fact. A few years later another came out and i was runner up again at around $2500.....The thrill had worn off when I saw the second one. Plus I didn't have as much in my piggy bank then either.

kcohen
02-28-2014, 07:53 AM
I can remember more than once having put in a max bid before going to bed, then waking up the next morning hoping like hell that I didn't win the item.

02-28-2014, 07:58 AM
In a reversal of the thinking in the thread started about not winning and sour grapes, this thread has to do with being runner up and being happy, after the fact.

I remember several years ago I was bidding in a live Mastro auction at the National. There was the first W555 full snapshot box that went to auction. I wanted it badly. So the bidding got to about 13k and it was me and one other bidder. We took it to about 25k and I quit. Corey S, (hey Corey) who was a very short distance from me, told me after the fact, he could see me not really wanting to bid but I was. He said by my actions he was happy for me that I didn't win it. So was I, after the fact. A few years later another came out and i was runner up again at around $2500.....The thrill had worn off when I saw the second one. Plus I didn't have as much in my piggy bank then either.

Wow that's a mega drop in price. You made a very wise decision to let that one go.

insccollectibles
02-28-2014, 08:13 AM
I can remember more than once having put in a max bid before going to bed, then waking up the next morning hoping like hell that I didn't win the item.

+1

atx840
02-28-2014, 08:14 AM

The joy of getting that outbid email :D

Late into the night at a friends wedding I was sneaking off to the loo to bid on the last card I needed for a backrun. It was in Fair condition and should have been a $500 card. Inebriated me ran it up to $3k and still was outbid.

Still glad to have lost that one.

kcohen
02-28-2014, 08:22 AM

Late into the night at a friends wedding I was sneaking off to the loo to bid on the last card I needed for a backrun. It was in Fair condition and should have been a $500 card. Inebriated me ran it up to $3k and still was outbid.

Great story, Chris. Just goes to show that, with the advent of hand-held devices, open bars at weddings and online auctions don't mix well, unless you're the consigner.

Harliduck
02-28-2014, 09:43 AM

I had to laugh at this one..."inebriated me" has bought a lot of cards. That last check on an auction before passing out in bed and then waking up to see what you won...or thankfully lost...haha...

EDIT - That post made me look like a drunk...haha...wow. Not a drunk, it just seems the once a month I do cut loose I'm late night bidding on somehting!

sebie43
02-28-2014, 09:48 AM

Amen to that brother

frohme
02-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Bidding under the influence is a recipe for a bad hangover.

Sometimes you get lucky and are outbid. Other times, not so much and winners remorse inevitably sets in.

MyGuyTy
02-28-2014, 10:10 AM

Been there, done that, lol. More reasons to MAKE SURE we maintain disciplined bidding ;).......as hard as it might be sometimes.

freakhappy
02-28-2014, 10:12 AM
For some reason after midnight or so, I find myself liking a lot more cards than I usually do before midnight. Lately I ask myself "when I wake up tomorrow, will I still like this card at this price?" I couldn't tell you how many times I have second guessed myself when I wake up the next morning. For some reason the moon has the same effect on me as alcohol ;)

I'm thinking midnight should be my new bedtime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kkkkandp
02-28-2014, 10:33 AM
Reminds me of the effect of beer goggles and the Mickey Gilley song "Don't the Girls All Get Prettier at Closing Time." :D

shernan30
02-28-2014, 10:59 AM

+1

DaveW
02-28-2014, 12:05 PM
Well now I know why I keep getting outbid. I'm bidding against a bunch of drunks!

tombocombo
02-28-2014, 12:25 PM
remember a two at ten is a ten at two not only talking cards

Leon
02-28-2014, 12:51 PM
remember a two at ten is a ten at two not only talking cards

I never went home with an ugly girl but I woke up with a few.

wolf441
02-28-2014, 01:33 PM

I've never had a "10", but one night, I had five "2's"!! :D

tschock
02-28-2014, 01:36 PM

In my case, I gotta wonder how many girls thought the same thing. LOL

Remember... Friends don't let friends bid drunk!

JasonL
02-28-2014, 01:43 PM
late on Friday or Saturday nights! :)

rainier2004
02-28-2014, 02:30 PM
That liquid courage can be dangerous, I bought a complete 1940 PB set a couple years already having 200+ cards in set of 240...its amazing how good the idea sounds in your head until the morning.

ooo-ribay
02-28-2014, 02:42 PM
This happens to me on eBay......I'm the under bidder at some ridiculous price and later, now that Mr. Big Bucks has his, I get the same item for a fraction. Some of those big bucks guys post in this forum.....:cool:

ullmandds
02-28-2014, 03:37 PM
+1

True dat!

ullmandds
02-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Drunk bidding is how i won the rc lowdy...that ended poorly!

ooo-ribay
02-28-2014, 04:42 PM
Drunk bidding is how i won the rc lowdy...that ended poorly!

I've done my share of drunk internet spending. :eek:

gregr2
02-28-2014, 04:45 PM
I've done my share of drunk internet spending. :eek:

Me too!! :)

Bridwell
02-28-2014, 04:56 PM
Being 2nd pays off sometimes. I've had a few times where I bid high on a scarce item and didn't win. Before long, a similar one comes on the market and sells for 30% less. Somebody decided to sell their card when they saw the high sale price on the similar card.