PDA

View Full Version : Legendary - 2 minute loss?!?

Runscott
02-27-2014, 09:37 PM
Wow. I was waiting patiently for the lots I was losing to run down to two minutes, refreshing my screen to make sure, watching the seconds tick off live. The clock hits 2 minutes, I enter a lot to bid....lot is closed. All four items I had been waiting patiently for had ended. The flip side was that I won several items that I thought I had to wait out 2 more minutes for.

Very, very weird. Now I'm paranoid about the last 4 items on my 'losing' list. Is it safe to wait until there are only 2 minutes left?

Anyone else experience this?

thecatspajamas
02-27-2014, 09:43 PM
Not with Legendary, but a similar thing happened to me once with Huggins & Scott (I think it was, may not be remembering correctly). In that case though, I was not refreshing the page, so I assumed the counter on my screen and the official one at home base had gotten out of synch. Seems like your refreshing of the page should have overcome that issue.

Runscott
02-27-2014, 09:54 PM
I assumed the counter on my screen and the official one at home base had gotten out of synch. Seems like your refreshing of the page should have overcome that issue.

I was hitting refresh, even though the clock was ticking down, so I really don't get it.

Don't get me wrong - I won several lots at quite a bit below expectation. It balanced out the ones that I was preparing to bid on again, so no complaints overall. However, I still have four lots to bid on and would like to feel secure doing it the way I have for over ten years.

71buc
02-27-2014, 10:24 PM
Were you bidding on photos when this occurred? I was only bidding on a Willie Mays image and experienced the same thing. It was an unusual 1954 action photo of Mays during his sole season in Puerto Rico. He played in the same outfield as Roberto Clemente that season. There doesn't seem to be very many original images of him wearing the uniform of the Santurce Congrejeros. This was also the first action shot I have ever seen of him from that season. Because of these factors I was watching intently with a few minutes to spare. I walked away momentarily and panicked when I returned and saw that the lot closed. Then I panicked when I found that I actually won it and needed to find a way to explain my good fortune to my wife.

Runscott
02-27-2014, 10:27 PM
Were you bidding on photos when this occurred? I was only bidding on a Willie Mays image and experienced the same thing. It was an unusual 1954 action photo of Mays during his sole season in Puerto Rico. He played in the same outfield as Roberto Clemente that season. There doesn't seem to be very many original images of him wearing the uniform of the Santurce Congrejeros. This was also the first action shot I have ever seen of him from that season. Because of these factors I was watching intently with a few minutes to spare. I walked away momentarily and panicked when I returned and saw that the lot closed. Then I panicked when I found that I actually won it and needed to find a way to explain my good fortune to my wife.

Yes, bidding on photos. Thanks for your response - I thought I was going nuts. Believe me, when I want something, I am paranoid about those final minutes. I lost the Conlon-inscribed 'Cobb Sliding' photo as a result, but I won a few lots that others would probably have continued bidding on. I guess it's a wash.

I am guessing you got the image of Mays sliding into Campy? If so, that was a GREAT pick-up!!! It was on my watch list, along with the Williams/Berra sliding pic. There were just too many great photos to go after all the ones I liked.

earlywynnfan
02-28-2014, 05:55 AM
My situation was a little different, I actually got outbid with one second left! Couldn't have been more perfect timing.

On the positive side, there have been a lot of side discussions about shill bidding with these guys, at least when they were Mastro. I found this last-second outbid suspicious, but I really wanted the item, so I placed another bid with a ceiling. I woke up this morning betting myself that the ceiling would be reached, but it was not!

Ken

Runscott
02-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Ken, over the last two days I won quite a few items well below my ceiling bid. I was also under-bidder on five, so those all went right at market value or a little below.