PDA

View Full Version : My Hobby Mentor

MVSNYC
02-26-2014, 08:33 PM
I noticed i was approaching 1000 posts and thought it would be cool to take this opportunity to recognize a good friend of mine, and a hobby legend...Jay Wolt!

As many of you know, he's had his health issues, but i'm really glad he's doing better and playing with cards again...He was my mentor when i started collecting 25 years ago, and it meant a lot to me.

I have bought so many cool things from him over the years- from some of my very first T206 cards, to a signed Fred Snodgrass letter...BUT, the real special piece is my original Yankee Stadium seat, that originated from his collection.

So...who's your hobby mentor?...and if you have an item acquired from that person, please post it below!

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-26-2014, 08:38 PM
I don't have one. 8(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h2oya311
02-26-2014, 08:46 PM
Although I probably started collecting around the same time as him, my card-collecting mentor would probaby be Mr. Phil Garry.

I imagine that 25 to 50% of my collection was once in his possession. I'm happy to know that a handful of the cards in his collection came from me at some point as well. Ironically, we've had at least a card or two change hands between us multiple times. There are a few that I'm sure he would love to get back from me.

Regardless, I am grateful for the hard work and research he put into the "rookie" checklist. Although he's migrated to Negro League memorabilia, he's still a "rookie" collector at heart.

Here's one that's changed hands a few times:

http://photos.imageevent.com/derekgranger/hofrookies1/websize/1916%20Southworth.jpg

wonkaticket
02-26-2014, 09:08 PM
So now we have a name to assign blame to for unleashing Sarno on us all it was freaking Wolt!! :D Jay is a top notch guy and one would have a hard time finding a better guy to show you the ropes.

For me I had a few guys and haunts that kept me in the hobby. The person who exposed me to vintage cards outside of a Beckett was Dan McKee Sr. I remember all to well the trips to the house in MD to get the few I needed from my want lists as a kid. I also remember the trips to the basement to look thru piles and piles of cards, sets and unique treasures from the past. He always took time to not only share but point out things to look for like fakes and altered things etc. if there is one person that I would say that helped sparked my passion for this hobby it was Mr. McKee.

Later on in life I added the Jr. McKee to my list of hobby pals and mentors he was too busy chasing skirts when I was around the house early on. I will say Dan has been a good friend but even he knows if the house is on fire and I can only make two trips.....I'm grabbing pops and the Washington Times set. :)

Now as I've progressed as a collector I can say that I still have hobby mentors and folks who have taught me things or have just added even more enjoyment to the hobby for me. Folks like Jay Miller, Jim Blumenthal, Henry Moses, Barry Sloate, Scott Hassell, Jerry Totino, Mike Sarno, Tony Andrea, Al Crisafulli, Rob Lifson, Johnny V, Leon and so many others.

Great thread Mike, and no the Knight isn't for sale this week....:)

Cheers,

John

Peter_Spaeth
02-26-2014, 09:27 PM
When I got back into cards in the early 90s I bought and learned a lot from Pete Lalos.

teetwoohsix
02-26-2014, 09:45 PM
Hi Mike,

Congrats on your 1,000th post!! :D Cool thread so far too.

I didn't have a mentor, but gained a wealth of information from many collectors on this board. Some of them aren't posting much anymore, but their information was always enlightening and fun to read. So, I guess the fine folks from Net54 were the closest thing to a hobby mentor that I've had.

I've dealt with so many awesome dealers and collectors on this board and am proud to own little pieces of their collections-thank you to all of you (I won't name names only because my memory isn't the best and I wouldn't want to offend anyone by accidentally not including them-but if I've bought from you or traded a card with you, this means YOU! :D).

Three people stand out to me, as far as always helping me with information about T206's, advice, etc.- that's Jantz, Johnny V., and Tim C.- no question "too dumb" and always willing to discuss anything I bring at them- thanks guys!!

Sincerely, Clayton

Blunder19
02-26-2014, 09:47 PM
I have to give a big shout out to Johnny V... he helped me understand the T206 error market ...and guided me to several great T206 Error pick ups...

Recently we did a 3 way trade in which he gave me the near impossible to find cobb Sov 460 to help me with my run..... thanks Johnny.... appreciate all the guidance you provided over the last 6 years....you are the man!

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg309/blunder19/sov460front_zps05945899.jpg (http://s251.photobucket.com/user/blunder19/media/sov460front_zps05945899.jpg.html)
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg309/blunder19/sov460back_zps6ca3ba59.jpg (http://s251.photobucket.com/user/blunder19/media/sov460back_zps6ca3ba59.jpg.html)

Jay Wolt
02-26-2014, 10:09 PM
to take this opportunity to recognize a good friend of mine, and a hobby legend...Jay Wolt!
Hobby Legend!?
Dunno about that, But I appreciate the sentiment.
When the weather warms up & I'm allowed to go outside, c'mon down to Gettysburg
an Ernies dog & a cold beer awaits!
And congrats on your 1000 post!

Vintagecatcher
02-26-2014, 11:03 PM
I had contact early on with some legendary dealers...Lew Lipset and his Four Base Hits catalog...Larry Fritsch and his one-of-a-kind catalog, but the dealer that had the greatest influence on my catcher collection was Mark Macrae.

Initially, I focused on adding types for Roger Bresnahan, George Gibson, Red Kleinow, Johnny Kling, Chief Meyers, Gabby Street, and Ira Thomas.

Although acquiring "types" for the "magnificent seven" was a challenge, my passion for collecting catchers in the Pacific Coast League gave me a greater appreciation for the catchers in the 1909-1912 era.

Once I discovered the beauty of the Obak sets, as well as unigue designs of the 1911-1912 Zeenuts sets, and the Home Run Kisses cards, my collection of catchers rounded into a much more interesting collection.

I also learned a great deal more about the history of the game, and what an important roll the Pacific Coast League had in providing players for both the American and National Leagues.

So I would like to thank Mark Macrae for opening my eyes to the wonders of the Pacific Coast League players and sets.

Patrick

Wite3
02-26-2014, 11:29 PM
I have a few influences/mentors...

My three biggest hobby influences are/were Larry Tipton, Mark Macrae, Leon Luckey...

Larry was a founding member of possibly the first online baseball card trading group dedicated to collecting older cards (pre-1980), OBC (Old Baseball Cards). I was lucky enough to stumble on a bulletin board on the old Prodigy network while i was looking to see what my mid-70s to early -80s cards might be worth in 1988...the rest was history. Larry helped rekindle my passion for cards and the history behind them. OBC itself is still around and going strong and has become a hobby mainstay and its members are spread throughout the country. Proud to still be a member.

Mark Macrae sold me my first Old Judge Phillie at a National and spent a good hour teaching me about Old Judges and Obaks that day. I would say that Mark has forgotten more about baseball cards than most people know but Mark has one of the best memories of anyone I have ever met. After seeing him that National in Anaheim, I did not meet him again for another 5 years. Not only did he remember my collecting habits but remembered my name! Over the years, I have spent some serious cash with Mark but more importantly, he has spent some serious time educating me and any other collector that comes along. He taught me a lot about the joy of collecting and how customer service and time is more important than the dollar...that philosophy has served me well over the years.

Leon was just starting to take over the mentor job here on Net 54 about 10-12 years ago when I joined. His type collection was a huge help with some of my Phillies list and his encouragement to me to share on the board and ask questions to protecting me from some of the more nefarious people out there. Net54 has become a habit I cannot break and Leon's stewardship of the site has been a large part of that.

Those three stand out but a few honorable mentions.

When I started on my Phillies quest there were two people who really helped me. Gar Miller was a great help in providing me with cards through the mail. It was a different time before paypal and ebay. I used to send him a check for $20 and he would just send me stuff back. He was a great wealth of information but not really on cards...Gar put me in touch with Lew Lipset, Larry Fritsch, Kit Young, and Lionel Carter.

Lew really helped early on with some of my Phillies type cards that I honestly could not afford today (Close Candy, Crofts Candy, Red Cross, etc.). He also helped fill in blanks on my wantlist and cross off cards that were question marks for me. Lew also taught me about mail auctions and phone auctions. Lew also once sent me a near complete run of his Old Judge magazines...I think for no other reason than to stop an 18 year from writing him once a month with questions!

Larry was really helpful with newer sets and actually helped me with tips and tricks on telling what was real and what was not. He was the first to tell me to get a little loupe and to feel and smell the cards. I also took that to heart. Much of his advice has stuck with me and I am glad to say it has been at least 5 years since I bought a reprint (and it was a really really good one...Kendig's Chocolates anyone?).

Kit was a help with shows. I met him at my first National and he actually helped a young 17 year navigate the show. He was also one of the first online dealers that I dealt with and he always took the time to help other collectors. Kit introduced me to many dealers that I am still friendly with today.

I actually never met Lionel Carter but did speak to him on the phone once and wrote to him a few times. He was a wealth of hobby information and encouraged me to go out and grab several older magazines and books including Trader Speaks, Old Judge (already had most), Lew's Encyclopedias, Halper's book, etc. Great guy.

Joshua

dstudeba
02-26-2014, 11:32 PM
When I got back into the hobby Anthøny N. ex was welcoming and helpful and has been very kind to me ever since.

oldjudge
02-26-2014, 11:36 PM
Great thread! I was lucky when I started collecting to be educated by such hobby greats as Lew Lipset, Rob Lifson, and Barry Sloate, to name a few. However, my most patient teacher, who I learned the most from, was Keith Mitchell. Not many people know his name today, but, at least in the Old Judge arena, he was one of the true heavyweights.

glynparson
02-27-2014, 12:28 AM
named Vince at Renninger's Antique Market in Adamstown. Of course my father who always was there helping me build my collection. The final two mentors would have to be Levi and Jimmy from 707. I knew a lot for a kid back in 1993 when I first set up with those guys. My knowledge exploded immeasurably once I started teaming up with those guys over the next 7-8 year period. I owe my passion for the hobby to my father and most of the knowledge from Vince, Jimmy, and Levi. A special thanks to all these gentlemen. Also VERY glad to see and hear Jay is doing better. Possibly the nicest guy in the hobby.

barrysloate
02-27-2014, 04:40 AM
Thanks John and Jay, but I'm just a guy who has been around for a long time. And if you pay attention, you learn something.

My mentor was Mark Rucker, who taught me so much about pre-league baseball memorabilia at a time when there was very little written on the subject. We had to learn as we went along, and I found that pretty exciting.

kkkkandp
02-27-2014, 05:09 AM
Being almost exclusively an Old Judge guy these days there are three key names I can cite. The very early education came from Terry Knouse; the continuing education comes from Joe Gonsowski and, of course, from the master, Jay Miller.

nickedson
02-27-2014, 07:11 AM
I'm proud to say that as an 18-year-old kid setting up at the old Troy, MI show in the summer of 1972, my hobby mentors were the likes of Frank Nagy, Ed Budnick and Don Steinbach. I remember Don getting me started on a 1952 Bowman set with 100 diff. in beautiful condition. He came over later in the show and said, "Nick, I have a '52 Bowman Mantle and Mays, both in great condition. They are yours for $18 each." As a poor college kid, I actually had to debate that price in my mind before pulling the trigger an hour later. Frank was always gave me the old baseball matchbook cover for free. And he sold the 1959 Fleer Ted Williams set - minus No. 68, of course - for $5 at his table. And they were near mint. The bottom line is these guys did a lot for younger collectors like myself, turning us into lifelong collectors.

emmygirl
02-27-2014, 07:15 AM
My mentor was the late great Bill Carvalho. Bill owned a little card shop in Reading Ma. for many years and was always willing to teach everyone the true meaning of card collecting and that was to have FUN. In 1982 I met Bill at his store for the first time and he was just great to be around. Always teaching his customers, old and new. He gave out free cards to kids on a regular basis and the kids filled his store to hear Bill tell his collecting stories. Bill was president of New England Sports Collectors Club which held monthly meetings and card shows in Reading, Ma.. Bill was also responsible along with NESCC for holding the Wilmington, Ma. Shriner's Show. The success of that show even today is still due to Bill's love and dedication to the hobby. He is missed by all who knew him. I'm truly greatfull for his freindship and his devotion to this wonderful hobby. Jim MacCord

rjackson44
02-27-2014, 07:23 AM
I'm a type collector at heart ,Leon's cards rock :)

Rich Klein
02-27-2014, 08:08 AM
in my Sportscollectorsdaily.com (a valued Net54 advertiser) my hobby mentor was Tom Reid. I learned a ton about this business from a lot of other people but Tom really taught me a ton about cards (and life)

Rich

jcmtiger
02-27-2014, 08:43 AM
Back in the 1970's Dan Bowman got me started, he let me borrow his SCD which was published by Stomman in Milan Michigan. He had mint cards and saved the wrappers for all his sets. Jim Hamon was another friend who had/has a great collection.

Bought my 1st vintage from Frank Nagy and my 1st 2 Old Judge cards from Bill Mastro.

Joe

MooseDog
02-27-2014, 09:26 AM
There were some great guys who "mentored by example" for me. Since I am based in California some of these names may not be familiar.

First and foremost, of course, Dick Dobbins. Not only did he put on the first "card shows" in the area back in the 1970s but no question was too dumb for an answer.

Many others, some who are not "big names" in the hobby - those who appreciated my early enthusiasm for "non-card" collectibles, especially autographs - and deserve mention are Steve Brunner, Stan Marks, Nick Peters, Doug McWilliams and Will Davis.

Rich Masson got me started on autographs through a chance meeting when my family was staying at a hotel near Disneyland that just happened to be hosting the Detroit Tigers. Rich and some others were "graphing" and I asked what they were doing. We kept in touch, introduced me to the Smalling book, and he later introduced me to several SoCal guys who dealt in autographs and the rest is history.

Jantz
02-27-2014, 09:48 AM
Thank you for the kind words Clayton. :)

As far as a mentor, can't really say I've had one, but I always remember what one older collector said to me years ago.

He said "If all you buy is $10 cards, in ten years all your going to have is a collection full of $10 cards".

I understood what he was trying to say and shortly after that began collecting vintage.

Jantz

tinkertoeverstochance
02-27-2014, 09:49 AM
I jumped back into the hobby 10 years ago when I started college, after about an 8 year absence. Before my hiatus, I had collected new stuff and 1950's baseball. Shortly before I left the hobby for awhile, I bought 2 mid grade T206's from an unknown dealer at a local card show. This dealer had many beautiful T206's, but all I could afford were 2 commons from the discount pile. They were marked $10 each! I quickly picked out the best 2 of the bunch and he let me have both cards for $15. I was very happy with my purchase and still have both cards today (Hooks Wiltse throwing and Boss Schmidt). These 2 cards kindled my interest in prewar then, and when I found the cards years later (I knew where they were, just forgot about them for a little while), they ignited my interest. So, the unknown dealer who cut me a deal deserves mention.

My dad also helped me along with my hobby. He collects vintage football cards sporadically, but always encouraged my passion for collecting baseball. Early on, he would take me to shows, card shops, and occasionally buy me a card. While my mom thought this was a waste of time and money, she would sometimes do the same.

Ok, fast forward to college. I commuted to undergrad and recieved a full scholarship. Needless to say, I had a little money to spend from working. I began buying off of eBay and then found the forum. Once on, I began to chat with other members via the chat room and e-mail. Some people I did deals with early on included Michael Sarno, David Rosenberg, and Joe Jones. All of these members not only gave me great bargains, but helped me navigate the hobby early on. MVSNYC increased my knowledge of rare backs and sold me some duplicates he had (only the likes of Hindu, Lenox, Uzit, etc.). I still have most of these cards today. David was a constant chat room participant, but more importantly helped me hone my business skills for the hobby (bidding strategy, buying timing, margins, etc.). We did a few deals that came out good for both of us....I met David at the national a few years ago, which was very cool after years of chatting online. Joe was active on the forum for awhile and collected many of the same things I did. He offered advice when needed and even traded me one of my prized collectibles I had been begging him for for years.

Many other people have helped me with my collecting pursuits, probably more than I remember. All of these little things other collectors have done for me mean a lot too. Combining all of the small breaks and snipits of knowledge they provided has turned into a significant benefit for me over the years.

Lee

camlov2
02-27-2014, 09:50 AM
I would say the majority of my card knowledge came from my Dad, Jim Horne. Second place is net54 as a whole (even though I haven't talked to any of you in person).

novakjr
02-27-2014, 10:05 AM
Although I probably started collecting around the same time as him, my card-collecting mentor would probaby be Mr. Phil Garry.

I imagine that 25 to 50% of my collection was once in his possession. I'm happy to know that a handful of the cards in his collection came from me at some point as well. Ironically, we've had at least a card or two change hands between us multiple times. There are a few that I'm sure he would love to get back from me.

Regardless, I am grateful for the hard work and research he put into the "rookie" checklist. Although he's migrated to Negro League memorabilia, he's still a "rookie" collector at heart.

Here's one that's changed hands a few times:

http://photos.imageevent.com/derekgranger/hofrookies1/websize/1916%20Southworth.jpg

Derek. I'm right there with you. I don't know if I'd go as far as mentor, but Phil has had a very similar effect on my collection. I too own a few of his castoffs. To be honest, I'm also often inspired by your collection as well. Your imageevent page is great to just browse through, and often gives me more ideas for some non-typical hof rookie-type items.. I really need to get organized and set one up for myself... My disorganization, would often make those people on hoarders cringe:eek:

I take great pride when, on rare occasion, I luck into something you guys don't have.

edhans
02-27-2014, 10:06 AM
My hobby mentor, and that of almost every collector in Western New York, is Gary Nuchereno. I first viewed his tobacco and caramel collection (stored in several cigar boxes, of course) in 1981. I was instantly hooked. I worked in his store and have set up a shows with him since 1984. There are probably a dozen dealers or former dealers whose career was launched by Gary.

Hot Springs Bathers
02-27-2014, 10:07 AM
I was very lucky to visit John England many times back in the 1970s and exhausted his patience I am sure on more than one trip.

Others included Dick Dobbins and Patricia Denny in the publications world along with Bill Farmer at Midwest Sports in South Bend decades ago!

I also echo the fact that Net54 has made my return to the hobby much easier, the knowledge here is incredible!

Exhibitman
02-27-2014, 10:16 AM
Nice idea for a thread.

I've been collecting for over 40 years [you'd think I'd have a better collection after all that time] so there are lots and lots of people who've influenced me, but I wanted to recognize a few here:

I started collecting when I was a tyke, with Topps baseball and football cards. My first big year for those sports was 1971. In 1972 I started ripping packs of basketball cards. 1975 is the year I started buying hockey cards. I quickly moved on to the chase for older cards. My uncle Fred gave me The Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading and Bubble Gum Book (Little Brown, 1973; Brendan C. Boyd & Fred C. Harris) and I read it until it fell apart. It was my first real exposure to the art of golden age Topps and Bowman and those cards were now on my radar. I found The Complete Book of Baseball Cards: For the Collector, Flipper and Fan [1975; Steve Clark] and was hooked on T cards.

My first card show was Thanksgiving 1976 at the Roosevelt Hotel in New York, sponsored by the ASCCA. My father took me there on Friday on the way out of town for the holiday weekend. I’d become a Willie Mays fan when he returned to New York in 1973, so my first great project was to collect an example of every Mays card. I finished the Topps run at that show with the 1952 and 1953 cards. My mother nearly ripped my father’s head off when she found out that he loaned me $45 to buy them.

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/dropins/websize/1976%20ASCCA%20Show%201.jpg

We moved to L.A. in 1977 and the only good thing about the move as far as I was concerned was that I fell ass-backwards into perhaps the richest collecting environment around. I quickly became involved with the West Coast Card Club, which held monthly meetings in a church basement and later a social hall in Northridge. Everyone who was a regular at those meetings was an influence on my collecting.

My collection at that point was pretty much about the four sports, Topps, Bowman and a smattering of T cards. It was during that time that I focused on a few Western regional issues that have ever since fascinated me: Zeenuts, Bell Brand, 1968 Atlantic Oil.

I put away the cards after the 1980 baseball season and really did not return to them for nearly a decade, when I decided to attend a massive show at the Moscone Center in San Francisco as a welcome diversion from law school. Unfortunately, in a moment of existential panic in 1987 I sold off a big chunk of my collection to raise some cash before law school. I really did not buy much at the Moscone show but I was re-energized to start collecting. I then attended shows throughout the Bay area if I could get to them on BART or other public transit.

When I returned to L.A. after graduating and got a job and started having disposable income, I really got back into collecting, aided by the abundance of shows. It was a rare weekend that I did not have at least a show a day to attend.

My collecting changed immeasurably around that time owing to two meetings at shows. At one, a fellow had 1948 Leaf cards of Barney Ross and Benny Leonard. I sort of knew that boxing cards existed but seeing these, I was instantly smitten. I bought the pair for a few bucks and took them home to show my father. He looked at the Ross card and said the words that changed my collection forever: “I think my cousin Ray fought him.”

You could have knocked me over with a puff of air. “Dad,” I said, “if you have a cousin who was a professional boxer that means I have cousin who was a professional boxer.” He then told me about our cousin Ray Miller for the first time and I realized that I, klutz of the month, was related to a world-class athlete.

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/dropins/websize/Miller%20Poster%201.jpg

The other collection-changer for me was meeting an old-time collector named John Spalding. Some of you might have known John. He was a gentleman collector from the Bay area with a strong background in PCL history and sports. But that isn’t what got me interested. It was his album of prewar Exhibit cards. I’d never seen anything like these. Over the course of several shows and a few years I purchased stacks of them from John, while making a general pest of myself picking his brain about the issue and others as well.

Finally, I wanted to give a shout out, as others have, to Mark Macrae. Mark has been instrumental in mentoring Anthony, Jason and me in the surprisingly difficult art of show running. You can't just rent a space and put on a show like an old Mickey Rooney-Judy Garland movie; there is a ton of work and effort that goes into it, and Mark has gone above and beyond answering our questions. BTW, our third show will be May 3, 2014, at a new location in Gardena.

MyGuyTy
02-27-2014, 10:32 AM
Great thread idea, however as a kid in mid 80's, I never really had a mentor. My dad would be about the closest thing as he would take me to many card shows, but he was never a collector, just enjoyed taking me to the shows because I enjoyed it and enjoyed seeing vintage cards. It all started with a price guide I received back in the mid 80's with the Wagner and Plank on the front cover with prices that (at the time) seemed so expensive and exotic. From that point forward I tried to learn everything I could about these little cards.

I can remember my dad walking me into card shops when I was 8-10 years old and just watching me try to make deals with these 40 and 50 year old shop owners, lol. Here's this 10 year old kid walking in with a 1976 Walter Payton rookie and trading it for a late 50's Mantle. I always did all of the talking while these shop owners would look at my dad just have a chuckle. Crazy to think back at that kid now and how much balls I had at such a young age. So yeah, I was basically self taught if you can call it that, lol. I wish I could give credit and say I had a mentor that showed me the ropes and helped me along, but that wasn't the case with me.

Runscott
02-27-2014, 01:02 PM
wow - I feel deprived, as I can't actually remember having a hobby mentor. I got into this hobby as a result of scouring the internet for 1967 Philly Gum cards of the Cowboys. That led me to old Bowman football cards on ebay, which in turn led to Bowman baseball, which eventually led me to pre-wwi baseball lithographs and other pre-wwi items. Guys like John Drecker, Jamie L, Trevor, Leon, Barry, Steve (Jacklitsch), David (Cycleback) and too many others to name, provided the bits of information to further my interest. I just wish I had met someone back in the 1980's who could have given me an initial shove into vintage. I can't imagine the horror stories I could be able to tell now, of things I shouldn't have parted with, if that had occurred.

shernan30
02-27-2014, 01:17 PM
A mentor would be a nice addition as I'm trying to get into Old Judge cards little by little. They are big investments compared to my 1934 Goudey set. I've been doing as much research as possible, but hearing from collectors with first hand knowledge would be great. Pointing me in the right direction and helping me avoid costly mistakes.

Okay enough about me. The stories about some of the members' mentors are great. Its nice to hear how some many collectors out there help each other.

sebie43
02-27-2014, 01:17 PM
All of you elder statesman are my Hobby Mentors :thumbup:

steve B
02-27-2014, 03:57 PM
My mentor was the late great Bill Carvalho. Bill owned a little card shop in Reading Ma. for many years and was always willing to teach everyone the true meaning of card collecting and that was to have FUN. In 1982 I met Bill at his store for the first time and he was just great to be around. Always teaching his customers, old and new. He gave out free cards to kids on a regular basis and the kids filled his store to hear Bill tell his collecting stories. Bill was president of New England Sports Collectors Club which held monthly meetings and card shows in Reading, Ma.. Bill was also responsible along with NESCC for holding the Wilmington, Ma. Shriner's Show. The success of that show even today is still due to Bill's love and dedication to the hobby. He is missed by all who knew him. I'm truly greatfull for his freindship and his devotion to this wonderful hobby. Jim MacCord

Bill was one of the really good dealers around Boston, and one of the early ones as far as retail goes.

My hobby mentors were in the same area. Joel and Dave Hall from Halls Nostalgia. I moved to Arlington in late 77, and their shop became one of the places I'd hang out at after school.

I still drop into their auction now and then, they haven't had a shop for years.

And in the small world department I'm pretty sure I bought a big part of my RC cola can collection from Bill at Halls. I was collecting them and the guys at the shop knew I was. One day a guy dragged in a huge carton full of the cans. I was paying attention since sometimes I could get a first shot at stuff that they'd just bought. When he asked if they wanted them their answer was that they didn't but "that guy over there probably does" A couple minutes and $6 later they let me use the phone to call home for a ride for myself, my bike and the cans.
Pretty cool. It's not everyone that lets another dealer make a deal in their shop. :D

Steve B

mrvster
02-27-2014, 04:18 PM
John, Jamie and the rest......I don't know what to say, but THANKS SO MUCH!
you guys are just INSANE COLLECTORs who I look up to.....
I can't explain how much that really means to me....:):D

I thank my mom and dad getting me hooked on baseball cards as a kid...

John Dreker got me into T206 in the 90's and it was all over! I found the Net and Ebay....scrap T206 and BOOM! perfect storm...I'm obsessed:o

Leon for what he does....

and , all the collectors who have truly become my friends....we share such a passion for these cards, the comradere is just insane...

Peace

Johnny V

All of the fine folks I have met, have become my mentors

Gradedcardman
02-27-2014, 04:27 PM
I had no true mentor when I started but admired Brian W. And his focus on the vintage. Today I have had great help from Johnny V and Dan M. Both have always answered my questions without judging.

Thanks guys

slidekellyslide
02-27-2014, 04:30 PM
I never had a hobby mentor...the hobby was so small in my neck of the woods. I got my first prewar cards from my dad who found some Old Judges in a scrapbook..he removed them and gave them to me with the advice that I should stop spending my money on the new cards and focus on the old stuff. I modified that and bought the crap out of new stuff, hoarding rookie cards of McGwire, Canseco, Mattingly, etc and then trading them to the local card shop for 1950s-60s stars and rookie cards. I traded 3 Mark McGwire 85 Topps cards for an Ernie Banks rookie card...I was doing that constantly...the card shop couldn't move old stuff, but it could move hot rookies with no problem.

I'm much more of a minor league memorabilia collector today than a card collector, and I owe much of my transformation to guys like Clint Hromek and Dave Eskenazi. Both of whom have amazing minor league collections.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-27-2014, 04:41 PM
A mentor would be a nice addition as I'm trying to get into Old Judge cards little by little. They are big investments compared to my 1934 Goudey set. I've been doing as much research as possible, but hearing from collectors with first hand knowledge would be great. Pointing me in the right direction and helping me avoid costly mistakes.

Okay enough about me. The stories about some of the members' mentors are great. Its nice to hear how some many collectors out there help each other.

I feel ya. Who wants to be the lucky person to take Steven and I under your wing?

ElCabron
02-27-2014, 04:42 PM
Dave Kohler and Doug Allen. It's all about integrity, people.

-Ryan

Kawika
02-27-2014, 05:07 PM
No one particular "mentor" otherwise too many guys to name, many on this board, especially back in the old days, that each imparted a bit of their expertise onto my learning curve. Love the hobby in spite of all the shady crap.

Joe_G.
02-27-2014, 07:46 PM
As a youngster taking interest in older and older card issues, I found the perfect mentor in Bob Richardson and the invaluable resource of Lew Lipset's encyclopedia of 19th Century baseball cards (late 80s). I also always looked forward to Lew's auctions in SCD which led to my first Old Judge cards. I still have all my "snail mail" correspondences from Bob Richardson. He was very patient with me and helped me build my Detroit collection. I've attached one of my favorite items acquired from Bob, albeit in more recent times.

Fast forward to the 21st century and I've really enjoyed further study with Jay Miller, the Jersey Boyz, Kevin Cummings and John Dreker, and others.

Kenny Cole
02-27-2014, 07:54 PM
Dave Kohler and Doug Allen. It's all about integrity, people.

-Ryan

Amazing how that integrity deal works. I haven't bid in a Kohler/SCP auction, or even looked at a catalog, since he chose to hose Ryan. When an auction house screws a bidder with a deceptive description and deceptive scans, has a chance to fix the problem, and makes a decision not to, they are off the list IMO.

Life is too short to knowingly deal with people who have no compunction about committing fraud and screwing you to the wall-- even if they have a, or even the, card that you want. Almost always, there will be another, more honest seller, who has that card. I can wait.

MVSNYC
02-27-2014, 08:18 PM
So now we have a name to assign blame to for unleashing Sarno on us all it was freaking Wolt!! :D Jay is a top notch guy and one would have a hard time finding a better guy to show you the ropes.

For me I had a few guys and haunts that kept me in the hobby. The person who exposed me to vintage cards outside of a Beckett was Dan McKee Sr. I remember all to well the trips to the house in MD to get the few I needed from my want lists as a kid. I also remember the trips to the basement to look thru piles and piles of cards, sets and unique treasures from the past. He always took time to not only share but point out things to look for like fakes and altered things etc. if there is one person that I would say that helped sparked my passion for this hobby it was Mr. McKee.

Later on in life I added the Jr. McKee to my list of hobby pals and mentors he was too busy chasing skirts when I was around the house early on. I will say Dan has been a good friend but even he knows if the house is on fire and I can only make two trips.....I'm grabbing pops and the Washington Times set. :)

Now as I've progressed as a collector I can say that I still have hobby mentors and folks who have taught me things or have just added even more enjoyment to the hobby for me. Folks like Jay Miller, Jim Blumenthal, Henry Moses, Barry Sloate, Scott Hassell, Jerry Totino, Mike Sarno, Tony Andrea, Al Crisafulli, Rob Lifson, Johnny V, Leon and so many others.

Great thread Mike, and no the Knight isn't for sale this week....:)

Cheers,

John

John- ya got me...this thread was an elaborate scheme to finally get my Knight miscut back from you! :) (kidding)

Glad to see so many people respond, and share some insight into your hobby roots.

Lee, thanks for the mention, kinda cool to see Jay's lineage from him to me, to you...and i'm sure you've inspired other collectors as well.

Cardboard Junkie
02-27-2014, 10:05 PM
Frank Nagy, Charlie Conlon, Ed Budnik, etc. etc. dead, dead, dead, etc, etc,.

chris6net
02-27-2014, 10:31 PM
Dan Dischley. I also remember talking to a guy who was a few years older at me at the NY area shows who at the time was based in Oceanside Larry Gladstone. I know he posts on this board and actually lives very close to me but I have not spoken to him since probably the late 70,s maybe 1980 but Larry you were always what I considered cool at the few shows I talked to you at back then maybe because you were younger than most of the dealers but I still remember you
CN

wonkaticket
02-28-2014, 12:06 AM
Frank Nagy, Charlie Conlon, Ed Budnik, etc. etc. dead, dead, dead, etc, etc,.

Ummm...wow. :confused:

alanu
02-28-2014, 12:40 AM
My Mom for allowing me to buy cards when I was little.

novakjr
02-28-2014, 07:24 AM
What? 5 pages so far, and still no love for the Prime Minister? :rolleyes:

Leon
02-28-2014, 08:16 AM
[QUOTE=wonkaticket;1247460]Ummm...wow. :confused:[/QUOTEa

He forgot Burdick, Carter and Bray.....

For me, not sure I have a mentor per se' but my auction partner, Scott B, is one if I ever had one. When I first started I would call and bug Lew Lipset too, who was always very nice and helped with my questions. I generally call some hobby friends to bounce things off of them and they would include Mark Macrae, Kevin Struss, Barry Sloate, David Bryan, Corey Shanus, Wonka and a few I am sure I am missing.

And I should add that I don't think I really should be included on lists but it is appreciated. I have been a passionate type card collector from day one, and if showing a few of them helps folks, then that is an added bonus.

02-28-2014, 08:40 AM
The collective knowledge and expertise of this board has been my mentor in my short 5 years back in the hobby.

dougscats
02-28-2014, 09:37 AM
I don't get in touch too much anymore, not like I used to,
but as far as a mentoring me on Net54, Marc has been great with freely giving his expertise and, when asked for, advice.

Beautiful thread that enables us to acknowledge special people on Net54.

Doug

Runscott
02-28-2014, 11:08 AM
... and the invaluable resource of Lew Lipset's encyclopedia of 19th Century baseball cards (late 80s).

Joe, I'm glad you mentioned Lew's book - when I first got 'serious' about cards, I spent hours studying his 3-volume set. It's still one of the most interesting reads we have in the hobby.

Paul S
03-01-2014, 02:59 PM
My Mom for allowing me to buy cards when I was little.

A Big YES to this. Mine used to drive me all around Los Angeles in the 60s, in a powder blue Ford Galaxy (don't laugh, that's what they called the color). She kicked in and I got my first Cobb (bat on).