PDA

View Full Version : PSA photo Authentication

CrazyDiamond
02-25-2014, 09:44 AM
I just needed some opinions. I have recently purchased a Gehrig photo which i believe is a type 1. I wanted to send it to PSA. has anyone have experience with this that they can share? Like what is the average turnaround time, things like that.

Also i was confused about price to have this done -i called PSA and got more confused. apparently it does not go by who the photo is (like an autograph would) but rather want you want to insure it for. This baffled me because im not sure what to insure it for because the value is all dependant upon whether it is a type 1 or not.

If anyone can share experiences good or bad with me i would appreciate it

Leon
02-25-2014, 10:44 AM
I just needed some opinions. I have recently purchased a Gehrig photo which i believe is a type 1. I wanted to send it to PSA. has anyone have experience with this that they can share? Like what is the average turnaround time, things like that.

Also i was confused about price to have this done -i called PSA and got more confused. apparently it does not go by who the photo is (like an autograph would) but rather want you want to insure it for. This baffled me because im not sure what to insure it for because the value is all dependant upon whether it is a type 1 or not.

If you can post a picture it will help. Even though "type 1" is now an industry type standard, it was only made up by the folks who wrote a book (and are very good at photos) several years ago. I think the question that might be more important is when/if it was made from the/a negative?

JoeyF1981
02-25-2014, 10:46 AM

Lets just say henry yee is a expert and if your photo is in fact a type 1 he will be able to tell. If you can post a front and back scan of it some of us can probably give you a good idea of what you have

thecatspajamas
02-25-2014, 11:07 AM
I believe he's also asking about pricing and turnaround times for the service through PSA, not just whether what he has is a Type 1?

(I have no experience submitting photos to PSA, so I'm no help on their pricing structure or actual turnaround times, but I'm sure there are other members who have submitted to them).

CrazyDiamond
02-25-2014, 11:53 AM
I will post a picture later on when i get home but yes i was more interested in PSA services - turnaround time, satisfaction, cost - that sort of thing

Thanks again all for your help

JoeyF1981
02-25-2014, 12:00 PM
I cant remember how much I paid but it was less than $50 and it took about 10 days to get it back

CrazyDiamond
02-25-2014, 12:55 PM
10 days isnt too bad - thanks!

billyb
02-25-2014, 08:42 PM
Go to PSA web site and they have a price guide for authenticating photos, I believe either $25 or $35 was the cost. There, you can also download the form you will need to fill out and send with photo, plus shipping dos and don'ts in their instructions.

thecatspajamas
02-25-2014, 08:49 PM
My guess is the variable pricing was for the return shipping (for insurance purposes).

glchen
02-26-2014, 01:36 PM
I've sent to PSA/DNA for photo authentication three times, and turnaround for me has been 4-6 weeks for each time, so I think that's what you expect. It looks like PSA has changed the fee structure for photos. Before, I think it was based upon which era the photo was taken. Now, it's soley based upon declared value, like it is for cards. You usually use the price you paid for the item as the declared value or what you would want PSA to compensate you if they accidently lost your item.