PDA

View Full Version : Need info: 69T Brooks Robinson error card

NateMack
02-24-2014, 09:43 AM
Greeting fellas,

I found an interesting error or variation card today when sorting through some cards. It is a 1969 Topps Brooks Robinson all star card that has a completely different back on it. Has anyone ever seen this before? Any info on it would be helpful.

grainsley
02-24-2014, 09:51 AM
Has occurred in lots of different sets. They don't appeal to me particularly, but there are some collectors who go after these.

Rich Klein
02-24-2014, 09:53 AM
Not that particular card but there are a decent amount of wrong back cards from that era. I, personally, like these cards and although they are worth more than the regular card (in my opinion a mutliple of book value), they are also pretty difficult to sell.

Most collectors do not want cards like this (or blank backed cards) in the modern era (the pre-War cards are currently en fuego). If you are looking to sell you might have to wait a while to find the collector interested in this card.

That is just my opinion and depending on what you want for that card, I'd be interested.

Rich

ALR-bishop
02-24-2014, 10:12 AM
Agree with the others. I have been a long time collector of both variations and variant cards but have never delved much into wrong or blank back cards (unless they were true proof cards). There are always numerous wrong and blank backed cards on ebay at any given time . Since a star player is involved here a collector of that player might pay a premium for it, but in my experience there is not a large market for wrong or blank backed cards. Variant cards that involve recurring print defects seem to draw more interest.

But you can never tell. There could be a collector looking for just that card. Best of luck with it.

Ironically that card does not have a "normal" back even in correct form. It has a puzzle back that is part of a 9 card sub set that forms a photo of Carl Yastremski

bnorth
02-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Very cool card. I also collect those type of errors. That type is caused by loading the sheets backwards into the printer. As an example there are 12 possible backs that can be on a 1987 Topps card. The most different backs I have for a single front is 4.

EDIT: There are actually way more than 12 possible backs on the 87 Topps card I only included fully printed versions and no blank back or progressive color back cards.

Exhibitman
02-24-2014, 11:04 AM
Ben is right as to how it happened. A Robinson completist might be interested in it. I collect them as well but only on the cheap. Many sellers consider them trash and price them accordingly.

bnorth
02-24-2014, 12:14 PM
Many sellers consider them trash and price them accordingly.

I hear this all the time but can't ever seem to find those sellers.LOL If any body has any Wade Boggs errors of any kind they think are trash please contact me.

Mark70Z
02-24-2014, 04:44 PM
As stated it's an error back card. I collect Brooksie, but really don't go for wrong backs, but would make a nice addition at the right price. I personally like the blank backs and/or proof cards more; I don't really know why...I just do.

ALR-bishop
02-24-2014, 06:24 PM
The good news Mark, it is an illness. The bad news, there is no cure.

Mark70Z
02-24-2014, 06:26 PM
I know...I know...

NateMack
02-25-2014, 07:42 AM
I would not mind trading the card if any of you are interested and it can net me a nice hit from one of my lists. You can find my trading page down in the signature.

If I cant find a deal that nets me anything decent I will just hold out and keep the card.

Rich Klein
02-25-2014, 09:15 AM
I would be happy to trade some of the ones you want in lesser condition 51-2Bowman for that Robinson. I can pretty much guarantee I'll have some from those years in your condition desired from your list.

If interested, holler

I don't even mind shipping first

Rich

bnorth
02-25-2014, 09:25 AM
I would not mind trading the card if any of you are interested and it can net me a nice hit from one of my lists. You can find my trading page down in the signature.

If I cant find a deal that nets me anything decent I will just hold out and keep the card.

Didn't see anything on you list I can help with.

I will throw this out there I have a 1961 Topps #253 Sammy Taylor Green in BB error in GOOD condition I would trade even up. I am putting a $10 shipped value on my card.

Exhibitman
02-25-2014, 03:47 PM
Here's a wrong back I have:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/freaksandgeeks/websize/1941%20Play%20Ball%20Gumpert%20Dimaggio%20error.jp g

ALR-bishop
02-25-2014, 03:51 PM
I wonder if Harry had been born later whether his nickname would have been Gumby rather than Gunboat

bnorth
02-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Here's a wrong back I have:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/freaksandgeeks/websize/1941%20Play%20Ball%20Gumpert%20Dimaggio%20error.jp g

Very cool card, would like to have one of those in my error collection.