PDA

View Full Version : Is this bothering anyone else.

iwantitiwinit
02-19-2014, 08:27 AM
Not a huge issue but just thought I'd mention it. I typically scan ebay for newly added t206's a few times a day. There is one seller out there MikeDenero that constantly lists the same cards over and over again, seems like there is some rotation where they are listed every 5 days or so with short term auction expirations. Now obviously he has every right to list things as often as he chooses and he might be a net54 member but for the life of me I can't understand how this is constructive. Wonder if anyone else has noticed this and whether it bothers them or not. I am not casting dispersions on him as a seller in any way, just wonder if others find this a nuisance.

CrazyDiamond
02-19-2014, 08:36 AM
I have noticed this with other sellers and never really gave it much thought but it did remind me of an issue i had with ebay.

I saw an autographed bat that was listed with a best offer - i made an offer and the seller countered. I felt that the the counter price was very reasonable so i committed to buy and immediatley paid for the item.2 weeks went by and i did not receive the item so i contacted the seller with no response. I looked at his listing and the bat was relisted.

I contacted ebay asking for help. They suggested I put a claim in - which i did and was immediatley refunded by the seller.

The thing that bothers me was that he made the offer to me, decided not to send it and then sold it again for a few more dollars that what i origianlly paid.

Sorry - alittle off your topic but i was very frustrated by the situation and thought i would share as well

ullmandds
02-19-2014, 08:43 AM
I DID notice that this guy likes to list his name in his listing titles...which I thought was kinda odd?

z28jd
02-19-2014, 08:48 AM
It is a little bothersome that he does that, but he also helps everyone out by putting his name in every auction title, which allows you to get rid of any search results from him if you so choose to.

Deans cards is another in the T206 search that is annoying from time to time because he lists so many and they all have high prices on them. He has only sold five T206 cards in the last two months, but he has 452 active auctions. At least Mike Denero has reasonable prices and he has sold almost half of his cards in that same time frame

bn2cardz
02-19-2014, 08:53 AM
The cards also usually seem to have very high asking prices as well. I have noticed the listings pop up recently in my emailed search results. Since he is nice enough to list his name I know to just skip over them when I see those listings.

ValKehl
02-19-2014, 09:04 AM
This seller has long had a couple of WaJos that I wouldn't mind having, but I'm not about to pay his prices. He lists his location as being Alexandria, VA, which is not far from where I live (and, where I was born), but I don't know this dealer.
Val

vintagetoppsguy
02-19-2014, 09:19 AM
I DID notice that this guy likes to list his name in his listing titles...which I thought was kinda odd?

To the OP's question: Yes, it used to bother me. Now? No, it doesn't bother me at all.

To Peter's statement: I am so glad he started putting his username in the titles. Now, most of my searches are something like "T206 -mikedenero" and all his listings (at least the ones with his name in the title) are excluded. Nothing against the seller as I have bought from him before, but I find the prices too high and this is a great way to skip over them. I wish more of the overpriced sellers would put their name in the title.

Just FYI, Dean's Cards has done the same with their name in the title. Again, it makes my searches a lot more pleasant.

conor912
02-19-2014, 10:00 AM
I have bought from Mike before. I have even concluded deals with him soley by text message, which for me is great. If you buy from him off ebay he will pass his fee savings on to you and if you pay by check he'll pass the paypal savings to you, too, which is nice. I only buy from him, though, when he has something I really want and can't find anywhere else, which is rare.

The name in the title I actually find helpful and no more bothersome than PWCC or anyone else that does it. What does slightly irk me is his business strategy, in that he buys at auction on ebay then doubles the price in his own BIN....so if his prices seem high, that's because they are. At the end of the day he's free to do as he pleases and his practices bother me no more than a lot of the other bozos on ebay. In all fairness, though, he's a fairly reasonable guy and I trust him to deliver once the check goes in the mail.

drmondobueno
02-19-2014, 10:25 AM
Pass on all of his auctions, same withDeans Cards. Have screened both out of my searches. Sounds to me like he runs his shop the way he wants. That is fine, I buy from who I want. Sounds like I am not alone in this.

the-illini
02-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Nothing against Mike Denero personally, but his re-listing of his auctions is so frequent that I had to exclude him in my saved searches, which is a pain in the ass in its own right...

The Nasty Nati
02-19-2014, 10:41 AM
Agreed with Dean's Cards, his prices are through the roof. Often he lists his buy it now prices as nearly double the price as the same card in the same grade (sometimes even more than a card with an even better grade). Makes no sense to me, but I suppose you're free to list what you want. Just seems like a poor business model.

pgellis
02-19-2014, 10:44 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-T206-Piedmont-and-Sw-479-Dummy-Taylor-Dean-039-s-Cards-5-EX-2585-/271405617936?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

:eek:

E93
02-19-2014, 10:52 AM
I don't check ebay that frequently so this sort of thing does not come on my radar, but I have had several easy transactions with Mike DeNiro.
JimB

MyGuyTy
02-19-2014, 12:11 PM
Ebay has gotten to the point where it's mostly a graveyard of astronomicaly priced BIN cards that sit and rot for what seems like an eternity.

Occasional a good one will pop up with a pulse in an auction format where you have a good chance to get a nice card at a decent final price......but those are few and far between anymore. Very sad state of affairs compared to how good Ebay used to be for vintage collectors.

BengoughingForAwhile
02-19-2014, 12:45 PM
I welcome high priced sellers to Ebay, the more the merrier! As a seller of "slightly overpriced items" they make my cards look dirt cheap! :D

sebie43
02-19-2014, 01:11 PM
Duly noted

Rayl
02-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Its because his prices are way too high and he never sells them. Same goes for some of the other dealers. Its actually ridiculous and a waste of time and space.

Leon
02-19-2014, 01:47 PM
Its because his prices are way too high and he never sells them. Same goes for some of the other dealers. Its actually ridiculous and a waste of time and space.

Just curious if you have ever read the verbiage at the top of every page of this board? The one about opinions?

quinnsryche
02-19-2014, 01:49 PM
I also have set my searches to exclude (mikedenero). It used to aggrevate me too but now it makes it easier to not have to look at his over priced cards. Nice guy or not, I don't need an alert every 3 days for the same unsold cards over and over again.

Runscott
02-19-2014, 01:49 PM
I have had good transactions with Mike, and respect his right to use whatever business model he chooses, as long as it's honest. It's not easy making a living selling cards, as shown by the fact that that sellers attempt to do it so many different ways. Maybe the frequent re-listings chase some of you away while they attract others who end up buying his cards? Or maybe you are all correct and he's about to go broke :confused:

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-19-2014, 01:56 PM
I like eBay. Some of the cards are ridiculously priced but I don't buy those ones. Every once in a while I get a great deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ethicsprof
02-19-2014, 02:37 PM
I know little about this issue but would add that I have good dealings with
Mike D over the years. I particularly like his research and articles he has produced for the hobby---pieces in SGC Collectors Magazine, particularly.
all the best,
barry

japhi
02-19-2014, 04:27 PM
Denero posts the same hockey cards over and over too, pretty anoying and his prices are way over the top. He does have some great cards though and he can price his cards any price he wants.

the 'stache
02-19-2014, 06:43 PM
I want to be a grammar Nazi and point out it is casting aspersions, but with Yogi's picture, it somehow seems....acceptable, if not apropos. :p Just a fyi, Iwant, I'm not meaning to single you out. I make as many mistakes as anybody, and appreciate when somebody points out a mistake when I make it. :D I think our language is dying, and I believe we need to make a concerted effort to save it. So all of you junior N men out there, please feel free to correct me.

As for the subject at hand, the only one that really blows my mind is Dean's Cards. The prices he has on his cards are so far out of bounds, I wonder how he sells anything at all. Levi's cards are overpriced, too, but occasionally I find some that aren't too bad, and I've always heard he has some of the best service around. I've also noticed that a bunch of the cards he has for sale are what I'd considered technically under-graded. I'll look at some of his PSA 2 or 3s and think to myself "God, those cards look a little nicer than the grades they received." This leads me to think that maybe he's had them a long time, and when they were graded, PSA was more strict in the application of their grading guidelines.

As for Mike, he might have what we consider higher prices. But he has a lot of the cards I want, and usually in the condition I'm looking for. There are a couple I'm considering buying now. I suspected he might lower his price off Ebay, and if I can save 13% from the listed price, I'll jump. I understand that if I looked longer, and was a little more patient, I might find the cards at better prices. But I haven't developed the contacts yet that some of you longtime members have. And I'll probably overspend a little as a newer pre-war collector. That's ok. Ultimately, I think if a person is happy with the purchase they make, that's all that matters.

MyGuyTy
02-19-2014, 11:27 PM
Ultimately, I think if a person is happy with the purchase they make, that's all that matters.

That's it right there, as long as you're happy, who cares. Everybody at some point or another nowadays is gonna overpay for a card they need. Pretty much unless you're one of those lucky "timing" collectors who amassed an extensive collection of tough cards prior to the turn of the 21st century (before the stratospherical boom in values), you're gonna shell out a pretty penny for almost every toughie.

oldcardboard
02-20-2014, 06:09 AM
Mike Denero is a great guy and his service is top notch. If you don't like his prices, then don't buy/look at his auctions.

Jeff Barker

SAllen2556
02-20-2014, 06:51 AM
As a small business owner, I was taught that you compete in one of three ways: price, quality, or service.

Some sellers offer crappy scans, poor or no descriptions, and/or poor delivery so their cards go for lower prices. They get their listings up fast and may spend less time and money shipping but because of that they make less per card. Fine.

Other sellers take the time to offer detailed descriptions, great scans, and overall excellent service. They charge more because their service is worth more.

I think quality is where things get murky in the sportscard business. A psa 5 is a psa 5 (mostly) so there just isn't much leeway in what a seller can expect to get. I think this is where some sellers frustrate their potential buyers and overestimate the value of their service.

A seller, however, can compete on ebay with quality with raw cards by accurately and consistently grading their own cards. Don't we all hate the sellers who call their cards NM only to zoom in see four rounded corners as opposed to the sellers who accurately grade their cards? If I was to sell raw cards on ebay I would intentionally, at least at first, undergrade my listings just to establish my business. I often wonder why more sellers don't take that approach.

iwantitiwinit
02-20-2014, 07:00 AM
Guys I think I should clarify what I am curious about besides me personally finding it a nuisance that items are listed over and over (again it is everyone's right to list a card as many times as they like). From a practical and cost standpoint isn't it expensive to list a card several times a month with a buy it now? Would think that cost would cut into margins pretty severely.

Leon
02-20-2014, 07:06 AM
As a small business owner, I was taught that you compete in one of three ways: price, quality, or service.

I was in outside, straight commission IT sales for over 20 yrs until 2 yrs ago. Your first statement above immediately made me laugh. I always ALWAYS competed on at least price. I had some of the same customers for that whole 20 years as I (think) I gave them good service.

My old adage (that I stole from somewhere) when talking about price was...

OK Mr. Customer, you can only ever, in life, get 2 out of 3 of these, so pick 2

Service, Price, Quality

And to the sales folks on the board, think about that a few minutes and it's usually true. :)

And back to Mike Denero for a minute. I think his prices are only a bit high and I also think he has a very good eye for nice cards. Most of his cards are nice for the grade. He used to be on the board and was a very friendly guy,.

t206trader
02-20-2014, 09:45 AM
I was in outside, straight commission IT sales for over 20 yrs until 2 yrs ago. Your first statement above immediately made me laugh. I always ALWAYS competed on at least price. I had some of the same customers for that whole 20 years as I (think) I gave them good service.

My old adage (that I stole from somewhere) when talking about price was...

OK Mr. Customer, you can only ever, in life, get 2 out of 3 of these, so pick 2..

Service, Price, Quality

And to the sales folks on the board, think about that a few minutes and it's usually true. :)

And back to Mike Denero for a minute. I think his prices are only a bit high and I also think he has a very good eye for nice cards. Most of his cards are nice for the grade. He used to be on the board and was a very friendly guy,.

You're absolutely right. Having just finished a customer service and sales class last semester this mantra was taught to us in both. Hardly anyone can provide a customer with everything they would like. Set up your business in a way where customers leave happy and they will look over your weaknesses and focus on your strengths.

Leon
02-20-2014, 09:51 AM
You're absolutely right. Having just finished a customer service and sales class last semester this mantra was taught to us in both. Hardly anyone can provide a customer with everything they would like. Set up your business in a way where customers leave happy and they will look over your weaknesses and focus on your strengths.

I accidentally edited my quote in your post, sorry about that. Although I did go back and edit my response to be a little more clear. (they are the same now). It didn't change anything...

Price, Quality, Service....pick 2 :)

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-20-2014, 09:55 AM
That's it right there, as long as you're happy, who cares. Everybody at some point or another nowadays is gonna overpay for a card they need. Pretty much unless you're one of those lucky "timing" collectors who amassed an extensive collection of tough cards prior to the turn of the 21st century (before the stratospherical boom in values), you're gonna shell out a pretty penny for almost every toughie.

I totally agree with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slipk1068
02-20-2014, 12:45 PM
I purchased a card from Mike last year. The guy has quality stuff.

He allowed me to set up a layaway plan with a small down payment and pay it off over 6 months. It allowed me to buy a card that wasn't within my budget. I know I paid a little more than it was worth, but I was very happy with this arrangement.

Dav1d Sh1p$ey

freakhappy
02-20-2014, 01:48 PM
I purchased a card from Mike last year. The guy has quality stuff.

He allowed me to set up a layaway plan with a small down payment and pay it off over 6 months. It allowed me to buy a card that wasn't within my budget. I know I paid a little more than it was worth, but I was very happy with this arrangement.

Dav1d Sh1p$ey

That's pretty cool, David :cool:

I think Mike is one of the good guys and although, I too, get annoyed sometimes when every other day his stuff pops up as a newly listed item, it doesn't necessarily bother me to the point where I'm upset. There are about a million other things/people on eBay that I'd rather point out than Mike Denero...but I see where you're coming from, Bob.

Moonlight Graham
02-20-2014, 01:57 PM
I too have had several great experiences with Mike Denero. His prices to me are only slightly higher but like others have said, his cards are really nice. Now Dean's Cards on the other hand, his prices are just plain crazy. I don't know if he ever sells anything, but it is annoying seeing his listings over and over. Just my two cents.

Joe Kemmett

slipk1068
02-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Now Dean's Cards on the other hand, his prices are just plain crazy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-T206-Piedmont-and-Sw-156-Bill-Durham-Deans-Cards-1-POOR-3039-/400665886556?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item5d498c3f5c

1880nonsports
02-20-2014, 02:43 PM
and in a free marketplace one is entitled to ask what they want for their stuff. There are 2 cards I need for my set he has had listed at least 3 years but I believe it's even more than that. I once made an offer on one of the cards and he was kind enough to at least reply. They are all listed about double the going rate. I doubt it cost more than a few dollars to offer these cards on eBay from his store over the entire 3+ years listing. Such listings IMHO devalue the eBay site overall when multiplied times the number of sellers and items that over time clog up what began as an AUCTION site. Buyers become frustrated, buy less, sellers list less or BIN at even higher levels, eventually the overall number of people that like to "collect" is diminshed as they are impacted by availabilty, price, and frustration issues. Just look at almost any collectibles category on FeeBay and you'll likely find only about 10-15% of listings are in auction format - a format that made them king in the collectible market.

CMIZ5290
02-20-2014, 02:53 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-T206-Piedmont-and-Sw-156-Bill-Durham-Deans-Cards-1-POOR-3039-/400665886556?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item5d498c3f5c

Absolutely ridiculous....

kcohen
02-20-2014, 04:24 PM

And the auction title is mislabeled "Bill" Durham. No wonder is hasn't gotten any bids.

Ken Cohen

npa589
02-20-2014, 06:37 PM

I'm curious, if someone contacted him and asked him if he would take $75 for it, would he counteroffer, or accept it immediately?

sebie43
02-20-2014, 06:51 PM
He would counter you $120 :D

WhenItWasAHobby
02-20-2014, 08:31 PM
Ebay has gotten to the point where it's mostly a graveyard of astronomicaly priced BIN cards that sit and rot for what seems like an eternity.

Occasional a good one will pop up with a pulse in an auction format where you have a good chance to get a nice card at a decent final price......but those are few and far between anymore. Very sad state of affairs compared to how good Ebay used to be for vintage collectors.

Agreed and I'll add this point. One of my favorite topics of study lately is ethics. Some people will probably disagree with me, but sellers on Ebay - which was/is primarily an auction venue, who list items for triple market value where 99.99% of the viewers will pass on buying are engaged in a form of stealing. It's stealing the buyer's time. I put sellers like this in the same category as telemarketers who waste your time attempting to sell you something you have no interest in buying or service professionals like doctors and dentists who overload their appointment schedules and make you wait 30 or 45 minutes for their service.

Here are some words of wisdom from the Talmud:

“A man who has taken your time, recognizes no debt, yet it is the only debt he can never repay.”

"You may not ask a shopkeeper the price of an item that you know you will not buy, because it would raise the hopes of the storekeeper for no reason."

Likewise I would submit that a seller who lists an item that a buyer has hopes of buying but will never purchase the item due to the ridiculous mark-up is engaging in a similar type of conduct.

Just something to think about.