PDA

View Full Version : Is This A For Real Babe Ruth Autograph?

Hardball6
02-17-2014, 10:24 PM
Met a gentleman at monthly Antique Warehouse here in OKC who says he found a couple of old balls in a box at estate sale. One with a supposed Babe Ruth signature. I have compared several legit signatures on ebay and cannot find one similar to how first name is signed on this ball. There are some similarities in last name. What's your opinion in regard to real or unreal?

Duluth Eskimo
02-17-2014, 10:29 PM
You can't find one like that because it is no good.

sycks22
02-17-2014, 10:33 PM
The "B" and "R" look like some 6 year old kid found a pen and a ball. Really bad fake.

Hardball6
02-17-2014, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the quick feedback on this issue. I had the gut feeling it was not real but the excitement of a potential Babe Ruth can make you wish "real" hard.

khkco4bls
02-18-2014, 05:58 AM
Seriously u thought that might be real. I thought this was a joke.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-18-2014, 06:31 AM
Seriously u thought that might be real. I thought this was a joke.

Be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leon
02-18-2014, 07:11 AM
Be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

Hardball6
02-18-2014, 12:13 PM
I can take the harshness with a smile. The process of learning has some enjoyment within itself. Good to have some quality opinions that back up my initial thoughts.

RichardSimon
02-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Mark,
You are obviously new to autographs if you are asking about that horrid Ruth.
BE CAREFUL out there,,

djson1
02-19-2014, 10:35 AM
Even the Babe Ruths that look legit have a high chance of being fake. If I had the disposable income to buy a Ruth ball, I wouldn't because of the high risk of a forgery. The same goes for a Cobb ball. I'll stick to signed checks for the trophy players.

johnmh71
02-19-2014, 04:30 PM
Even the Babe Ruths that look legit have a high chance of being fake. If I had the disposable income to buy a Ruth ball, I wouldn't because of the high risk of a forgery. The same goes for a Cobb ball. I'll stick to signed checks for the trophy players.

There are some funny ones of those out there too.

djson1
02-20-2014, 12:32 PM
That is true. But at least with Cobb, you know that his family just released tons of his Bank of Nevada checks several decades ago, so they don't cost an arm and a leg. With Ruth checks, yes, I would definitely be more hesitant.

johnmh71
02-20-2014, 05:05 PM
That is true. But at least with Cobb, you know that his family just released tons of his Bank of Nevada checks several decades ago, so they don't cost an arm and a leg. With Ruth checks, yes, I would definitely be more hesitant.

Good point. I had a chance to buy one of those checks at a mall card show once when I was a kid. And my mother wouldn't give me the $100 that the seller wanted for it. Even then I knew it was a great investment.

Rio Rancho Joe
02-20-2014, 08:27 PM
Hello All,

I'm a newbie who is looking for an answer or some help as to where I may find the answer. I have a Babe Ruth Flip Book that (for the life of me) I can't find anywhere online. I have asked so many collectors about this book but none seem to have an answer. There is no date in the book anywhere. It is published by Dan Daniel who, from what I have been able to find out was a good friend of the Babe. Would anyone know how rare it may be?
Thanks,
Joe in Rio Rancho:)

yanksfan09
02-20-2014, 09:20 PM
That signature looks a lot like the signature on the replacement ball in The Sandlot. Maybe Benny the jet Rodriguez forged that one?