PDA

View Full Version : Joe Wood x 2 autograph

Leon
02-17-2014, 08:36 AM
Hey guys,
Any thoughts on authenticity of these signatures would be greatly appreciated...The postcard is postal used and dates to 1912-13...It is also addressed to Joe Wood so maybe it's a TTM? I am not an autograph guy....

joed25
02-17-2014, 08:56 AM
Wow. Very nice. Looks a little like a stamp to me. Maybe bec it's so old?

Scott Garner
02-17-2014, 08:59 AM
Leon,
I agree, these Smoky Joe Wood sigs look like they may be stamped.
Very cool!

Leon
02-17-2014, 09:09 AM
I got a PM from a very knowledgeable board member who says he had many items from an original scrapbook that had these exact same markings on the backs. He thinks they are good. At the end of the day I am not sure it will matter too much as Joe's signature is quite common and cheap. However, the postcard and picture are probably unique. Hoping for more info...and thanks so far too!!

daves_resale_shop
02-17-2014, 09:16 AM
I concur with Joe and Scott, the signatures look to be identical, and appear to be stamped... as for the images: ASTOUNDING! love the sweater in the
1st, and Joe potentially be the subject of some rookie hazing in image #2

theshleps
02-17-2014, 09:17 AM
the 2 look identical- agree it is a stamp

Leon
02-17-2014, 09:29 AM
I concur with Joe and Scott, the signatures look to be identical, and appear to be stamped... as for the images: ASTOUNDING! love the sweater in the
1st, and Joe potentially be the subject of some rookie hazing in image #2

okee dokee, barring any other info the write up will be that they are stamped.....Much appreciated guys!! BTW, it is fairly positive these came from Joe Wood's scrapbooks due to the backs looking the way they do AND other items in the hobby, originating from said scrapbooks, looking the same way.

Duluth Eskimo
02-17-2014, 07:23 PM
Beautiful items, but stamped signatures. I have not seen a Joe Wood stamp before.

jdmeltz
02-18-2014, 05:03 AM
When Joe Wood reached the age when he was unable to sign, he would return autograph requests with stamped signatures along with a note apologizing for being unable to sign and noting that he had personally applied the stamp.

drcy
02-18-2014, 12:04 PM
Wood's autograph isn't rare, so the value is in the postcards anyway.

D.P.Johnson
02-18-2014, 12:23 PM
Seems odd he would stamp his name on something and then put it in his own scrapbook...

djson1
02-18-2014, 01:41 PM
I may be late to respond, but just as JD Meltz, pointed out...these are stamps. I have several of these stamped signatures from him that were sent just a few months before he passed away. Besides, the curvy nature of these stamped signatures are a tip-off. The actual sigs of Joe Wood were usually slightly stiffer and didn't have so much flowy lines.

drcy
02-18-2014, 03:10 PM
People stamp or write their names in their own books on their shelves and on other personal items around the house. No doubt others have stamped their names the backs of their personal photos and ephemera. Collectors on the card side of the board will tell you that people used to stamp their initials on their baseball cards.