PDA

View Full Version : Show in Plano Texas March 9th

Rich Klein
02-17-2014, 08:03 AM
We are three weeks away from my card show. WWW.Planocardshow.com is the web site and the show will be at
Adat Chaverim
6300 Independence Pkwy
Plano, TX 75023
9 to 4
$1 Suggested donation and $1 for additional door prize tickets.
We are past the $1K retail mark in donations for door prizes

We have received requests to have case breaks as part of our show and since we have the room: For a donation, anyone who wishes to do case breaks is welcome to do so ---

**** We are now excited to add that BGS will have a presence at our show, and are wating for confirmation from Beckett Auction Sevices as well****

We still have a few $25 tables available as well. Not very many
Almost all of the money we raise will be used for our community goals including sending our kids to summer camp

Rich Klein
03-01-2014, 07:06 AM
Leon has been very gracious in letting us post and we hope to see a bunch of board members on the 9th :)

We are about one week away from my card show. http://WWW.Planocardshow.com is the web site and the show will be at
Adat Chaverim
6300 Independence Pkwy
Plano, TX 75023
9 to 4
$1 Suggested donation and $1 each for additional door prize tickets
Free with your suggested donation is not only a door prize ticket but also an Upper Deck Hockey Card Day uncut sheet and then packs. We presume we will have enough for everyone, if not, we'll come up with other items to guarantee no one walks out empty handed. Kids or Adults!

Here is a preliminary schedule of door prizes -- This is subject to some changes in terms of time but the prizes are guaranteed Smile

9:30
2013 Topps Turkey Red Football Unopened Box
2011 USA Baseball Hobby Factory Set
Tri-Star Dallas Cowboys 8 x 10 unopened pack
1991 Upper Deck Factory Baseball Set

11:30
2014 Turkey Red Baseball Unopened Box
2013 Panini Beach Boys Retail Unopened Box
2013 Tri-Star Sigma Cuts Unopened Box
2008 Topps Factory BB Set

1:30
2014 Topps Turkey Red Baseball Unopened box
2013 Topps Heritage Hi # Factory Set
2013 Topps Mini Football Unopened Box
2013 Bowman Baseball Unopened Hobby Box

3:30
2014 Topps Turkey Red Baseball Unopened Box
Tri-Star Dwight Howard Autograph 8 x 10
2011 Topps USA Baseball Hobby Factory Set
2012 Topps "All-Star" Baseball Factory set

We have received requests to have case breaks as part of our show and since we have the room: For a donation, anyone who wishes to do case breaks is welcome to do so ---

**** We are now excited to add that BGS will have a presence at our show, and Beckett Auction Sevices has confirmed as well**** BGS Likes to know if you are bringing cards so if you know are you please contact Mike Simmons MSimmons@Beckett.com. Bill Sutherland is your point person for Beckett Auction Services -- BSutherland@Beckett.com. Please note the March Grading Specials have not yet been released but if you contact Mike he can assist you with the best possible in person offer.

We have commitments for all our tables -- however, there is a waiting list being built. Please let me know if you are interested

Almost all of the money we raise will be used for our community goals including sending our kids to summer camp

Hope to see you on the 9th

Rich

Rich Klein
03-07-2014, 07:20 AM
To move this back to the front page :)

We are up to six dealers on our waiting list.

Rich

Jayworld
03-07-2014, 07:39 AM
Rich:
I plan on being there and bringing my kids, probably after lunch. Looking forward to it!

GehrigFan
03-07-2014, 08:41 AM
... Just wanted to point out that you are doing a great job promoting your first show. I wish the other Dallas area shows did so much. As it is, this will likely be my last hurrah for a while setting up at Dallas shows as the traffic just hasn't been there. But I have high hopes for your show and might be able to keep doing them. Real good work on putting this together - looking forward to Sunday!

Rich Klein
03-07-2014, 08:58 AM
We are listed with a nice little write-up in the Dallas Morning News Neighbors "GO" section in the Go and Do section on page 6 ---

It helps I do have a few contacts garnered over the years -- :D

But this was something I always wanted to do and darned if I was not going to give this my best effort.

We have reached out to every possible source I could think of: but I'm sure I could have done more.

Thanks for the nice words --- we have an great array of free material (and more hopefully coming today or tomorrow from Panini) and will keep at this.

We do have a nice mix of dealers, some of whom are traveling quite a decent distance to come.

While we might have drawn more $$$ with a silent auction, I'm happier with door prizes as everyone who comes in now has a chance to win something and with 16+ prizes (Panini told me last night the package is on the way and I hope it arrives today or tomorrow) we have a nice mix for everyone.

And yes, the vendors are eligible for door prizes as this is a fund raiser. You do have to be present to win the door prizes as well.

Rich

Rich Klein
03-07-2014, 11:13 PM
Following the David Cycleback rule of following up one's own post:

WHen I got home tonight, there was a huge box from Panini, I could barely lift the box. The entire box is packs of Score FB and Hoops BK. Great giveways at the door. I opened one of each pack so I can talk about the cards and pulled an $8 BV insert.

In addition, Leaf has promised through one of their reps to donate packs to us as well. Not sure what they are\, will find out on Sunday.

Rich

Rich Klein
03-08-2014, 01:06 PM
Leon has been very gracious in letting us post and we hope to see a bunch of board members on the 9th

We are about one day away from my card show. http://WWW.Planocardshow.com is the web site and the show will be at
Adat Chaverim
6300 Independence Pkwy
Northeast Corner of Spring Creek and Independence
Plano, TX 75023
9 to 4
$1 Suggested donation and $1 each for additional door prize tickets
Free with your suggested donation is not only a door prize ticket but also an Upper Deck Hockey Card Day uncut sheet and then 2013 Score FB and 2013-14 Hoops Packs (one per customer on the packs) We may also have Leaf packs to give away as well. We will have enough packs for everyone.

Here is the final schedule of door prizes

9:30
2013 Topps Turkey Red Football Unopened Box
2011 USA Baseball Hobby Factory Set
Tri-Star Dallas Cowboys 8 x 10 unopened pack
1991 Upper Deck Factory Baseball Set

10:30
Terrance Williams Panini Private Signings
2010 Topps Opening Day Unopened Box
2014 Topps Turkey Red Baseball Unopened box
Michael Carter Williams Panini 8 by 10 Autograph Photo

11:30
2014 Turkey Red Baseball Unopened Box
2013 Panini Beach Boys Retail Unopened Box
2013 Tri-Star Sigma Cuts Unopened Box
2008 Topps Factory BB Set

12:30
2014 Donruss Baseball Wax Box
2013 Crown Royale Football Wax Box
Case Kennum Panini Private Signings
Von Miller Panini Pirivate Signings

1:30
2013 Toppa Heritage Minor League Unopened Box
2013 Topps Heritage Hi # Factory Set
2013 Topps Mini Football Unopened Box
2013 Bowman Baseball Unopened Hobby Box

2:30
2013-14 Panini Gold Standard Unopened Box
2013 Panini Black Football Unopened Box
Tony Parker Panini All-Stsr Signed Catrd
2012 Topps Opening Day Unopened Box

3:30
2014 Topps Turkey Red Baseball Unopened Box
Tri-Star Dwight Howard Autograph 8 x 10
2011 Topps USA Baseball Hobby Factory Set
2012 Topps "All-Star" Baseball Factory set

**** We are now excited to add that BGS will have a presence at our show, and Beckett Auction Sevices has confirmed as well**** BGS Likes to know if you are bringing cards so if you know are you please contact Mike Simmons MSimmons@Beckett.com. Bill Sutherland is your point person for Beckett Auction Services -- BSutherland@Beckett.com. Please note the March Grading Specials have not yet been released but if you contact Mike he can assist you with the best possible in person offer.

We have commitments for all our tables -- however, there is a waiting list being built. Please let me know if you are interested

Hope to see you on the 9th

Rich

Jayworld
03-09-2014, 07:48 PM
Great show, Rich. My sons and I had a great time. My youngest was excited about the door prize auctions, even though we did not win, as well as the free packs of cards, and my oldest bought his very first baseball card set. Of course, dad was pleased. ;)

Nice mix of dealers, too. Hope you'll do it again! Highly recommended.

Leon
03-10-2014, 09:37 AM
Great show, Rich. My sons and I had a great time. My youngest was excited about the door prize auctions, even though we did not win, as well as the free packs of cards, and my oldest bought his very first baseball card set. Of course, dad was pleased. ;)

Nice mix of dealers, too. Hope you'll do it again! Highly recommended.

Sorry I missed you Jay....but I did buy a childhood early 70s Topps collection. It's a true "shoebox" collection from a guy's closet. I collected that stuff out of the packs as a kid so it brought back memories. There are only around a thousand to twelve hundred cards and they will be fun to go through. Great turnout at the show.......

Jayworld
03-10-2014, 10:38 AM
Leon, that's awesome. I picked up a 1982 Donruss set from Rich, and my oldest bought his first baseball card set ever (1987 Topps); he liked the way they looked. Also picked up some old 1930s movie-star tobacco cards from the UK. Got a Lon Chaney from the silent film "The Unknown." Lots of good variety at the show, with modern, 1950s, some pre-war and tobacco, books, etc.

GehrigFan
03-10-2014, 01:30 PM
I did so-so as a dealer. Most people aren't there looking for higher end graded cards, though. But I was happy with how I did and it was the best run show in Dallas in a long time. I was lucky enough to win a raffle so that satisfied my urge to open a box of cards. I also was able to pick up a card I never knew existed until Sean Bassik's auctions last week - a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron Blue Background. And frankly, I will bet it ends up as the finest known. I expect a 7 on the card, but seeing who will attribute it correctly first.

Jay Wolt
03-10-2014, 01:33 PM
Rich seems like a great show, very old school as it reminds me of 20-30 years ago
when shows were at fire halls, community centers, churches & temples.

Rich Klein
03-10-2014, 04:40 PM
Those who set up; those who attended and those who helped from the brotherhood and places such as this who lets us promote our shows.

I had a long talk with Mark Macrae during this process who runs a very similar show and basically the goals are, make money for the non-profit and get a little something for yourself out of the day.

I had never run a show before so that was something I always wanted to do -- our synaogue's men's club (brotherhood) usually does a garage sale as our major fundraiser but we did not want to spend the time and effort and also could not be guaranteed the parking lot for the sale. So, in one of our board meetings I suggested I'd run a BB Card show. I had tried on and off for 10 years to do this, but this time we got the right permissions and ONE hour later, we had a date, time, etc.

From there, I promised to do the leg work for us (it dfoes help I have some contacts in the business) and told the Hood that I would need help the day before and the day of the show.

We were able to set up the room the night before (which always helps) and when the dealers started arriving at 7, we actually had a nice staggered set up. Doors opened at 9, and we had a nice steady flow of customers all day.

I did not make a sale until nearly 11, but then my sales were good for the rest of the day. My favorite customer was a delightful young lady who may not even be 10 years old who loves vintage cards. Her dad told me they go to Nick's frequenly as well
I also sold a bunch of Texas Rangers cards, some 1975's (hi Jay!); a few sets; some 1972's including a bunch of hi #s; and some pre-war cards.

Had a nice decent day and went with my wife and had a steak dinner after all was done.

For those who want to promote a show, I'd suggest working with a non-profit as that reduces risk of losing money; you help others and put a little in your own pocket at the end of the day. And reducing risk is a great thing.

A lot of this is also going to be repeated in my SportsCollectorsDaily.com column with the final roundup.

Rich

Jayworld
03-11-2014, 07:05 AM
Rich:
I hope you decide to have another show in the near future. We need more local shows like this; a lot of fun for all ages, and everyone was very nice indeed.

Rich Klein
03-11-2014, 10:41 AM
We are targeting the Labor Day time frame and we will discuss at our next board meeting the 1st Sunday in April. The board loved doing this instead of a garage sale which used to be our primary fundraiser so they all are up for this, especially since they don't have to do the front end work :)

Rich