PDA

View Full Version : General Question about Set Buying on Ebay

kailes2872
02-15-2014, 06:32 PM
I have been buying and building sets for the past couple of years. I have 63-85, 58-60. My two favorites are my '67 that I painstakingly built card by card and my '59. I got the '59 for $1250 as a BIN Best Offer. Most of the superstars were in rough shape and I have upgraded 129 cards in either PSA 6 or 7.

Anyway, the questions are these - I get my bonus next month and have permission from my wife to buy '61, 62, and '57. Many of the sets that I have bought in the past are from libdirect. He has not posted anything for 9-10 months. The last round of sets that he posted went relatively cheap and I am guessing that he didn't make any profit - therefore stopped. The sets I bought from him tended to be mid-grade and I had a few cards to upgrade, but I was happy with the product that he provided.

I have saved searches for sets from these three years and it does not seem like there is a ton of value out there. I plan on going to the national in Cleveland this year. If I can't find them on Ebay prior to that, I am hoping that I can find something at the national.

Most of the sets that are posted from from Dean's cards. It seems that his prices are exponentially more than most of the BIN offers. Low grade 61's that go for 4-5k, for example. I see these same sets relisted by him over and over, so it doesn't seem that anything is selling. I looked at his feedback and he sells singles pretty regularly and the feedback is outstanding. Has anyone bought from Dean's? Am I missing something on his prices? Does he just grade tougher than most, so his 3's are everyone else's 6's? However, when I see a graded card listed by him it is usually 2x the SMR price.

Thanks for any feedback - If anyone has any leads on midgrade sets of 61/62/57 in mid-march (the 14th is bonus day!), please let me know. I will post a WTB on the buy sell trade section.

Thanks
Kevin

JollyElm
02-15-2014, 08:35 PM
Dean's Cards is just a complete and utter joke. Whenever I search ebay now, I add "-Dean" so i don't have to see his bullshit.

D.P.Johnson
02-15-2014, 10:37 PM
I won't comment on Dean's cards, except to say, I think you'll have better luck finding what you're looking for from one of the fine folks on this board...Welcome aboard...

Jim65
02-16-2014, 04:48 AM
At one time Deans was good, he had decent prices, offered discounts and had free shipping, now his prices are way over inflated. Haven't bought from him in years.

David W
02-16-2014, 05:39 AM
His stuff just gets listed over and over and over again.

He puts "Deans Cards" in the listing title which helps me a lot, every
time I see it I know not to bother with it.

Bestdj777
02-16-2014, 07:12 AM

ALR-bishop
02-16-2014, 08:21 AM
Kevin--the 59 set was the first one I finished and is a sentimental favorite ,and 67 is also one of my favorites.

There is another current thread here about the advantages from a cost standpoint of buying full sets and upgrading over building them card by card. Fritsch and Kit Young offer some sets for sale via their catalogs and websites but also seem to price on the high side

hangman62
02-16-2014, 09:12 AM
Don't know whos the #1 most over-priced dealer - Deans or 707 sportcards ?

kailes2872
02-16-2014, 11:04 AM
Kevin--the 59 set was the first one I finished and is a sentimental favorite ,and 67 is also one of my favorites.

There is another current thread here about the advantages from a cost standpoint of buying full sets and upgrading over building them card by card. Fritsch and Kit Young offer some sets for sale via their catalogs and websites but also seem to price on the high side

Al - thanks for the response. I saw the post about the sets (and the tremendous value in buying the 72 as a full set) and it motivated me to make this post. When I saw the 86% individual value on the 59 vs buying the set as a whole, it made sense why I enjoyed upgrading that one so much and that it didn't break the bank along the way (now, the high number '67s were a different story... :))

I have bought some singles from Kit Young and receive the monthly newsletter/offers. Last year, when I bought '63, he had a very nice 63 with a PSA 6 Mantle, PSA 6 Rose, and quite a few others graded for 3800 or best offer. I offered $3,000. He countered at $3200. I had a pretty strict 3k budget on it where I had set the cash aside. Anything additional would require an additional negotiation with the MRS. I also had a $100 special offer from Ebay (which I had not received before). I rejected the offer. Two days later, I went back to look to see if it was still up and he had sold it. I ended up paying $2700 for a raw '63. I sent in my Rose as a 4 and my Mantle as a 3(?). I ended up upgrading both to a 6 but was in for more than the 3200 that I would have paid for the set with Kit Young.

Anyway, I really appreciate the feedback. I started collecting as an 8 year old in 1980. The student helper in our 2nd grade class found out that I collected baseball cards and offered to "trade". She was really nice and ended up just giving me a shoebox full of '71-75's - all of the superstars - Mays, Aaron, Clemente, Gibson, Brett, Yount, you name it, it was in the shoebox. I was 8. All I did was collect baseball cards, but I wanted to go to a card show because I thought that they were worth something. A guy at the show gave me $13 for all of them. I bought a 1980 comeplete set and ended up looking at them so much that the corners wore until the cards were almost circular. I bought a bunch of 80s junk but ended up getting out of them in early '91 so I could buy a big TV in college.

My wife heard my story so many times that she got tired of listening to me moan. In August of '12, she said to me "Why don't you just buy them back and stop complaining about it.". Now, 30+ sets later, I have filled up my safe and continue to buy them up. She reminds me that I only had 71-75 and I can feel free to stop any time!.

Anyway, apologies for going on with that story - just wanted to let you all know that I appreciate the responses and will look to this message board for guidance as I continue my quest!

ALR-bishop
02-16-2014, 11:28 AM
Almost ever thing I have is ungraded. Since I have all the Topps and Fleer sets and keep them in binders, a large safe or safety deposit box is not an option. Besides I like easy access to them. Given the volume my main concern is not as much theft as fire or a major weather event

Harliduck
02-16-2014, 01:26 PM
his stuff just gets listed over and over and over again.

He puts "deans cards" in the listing title which helps me a lot, every
time i see it i know not to bother with it.

ditto...

Gr8Beldini
02-16-2014, 06:00 PM
Dean's Cards is just a complete and utter joke. Whenever I search ebay now, I add "-Dean" so i don't have to see his bullshit.

That is hilarious; I do the exact same thing, particularly when searching for single cards. Pain-in-the-neck sifting through waste of time listings. -(Dean's) makes the search much less aggravating.

autograf
02-17-2014, 07:03 AM
I started a quest to build some sets last year for some reason. Used to be 100% pre-war, then sold a lot and have mostly done nonsports since. Last year, on a whim, I bought a 1960 starter set from a friend with 350 or so cards. Then a local shop owner got in a really nice batch of 1960's which I bought and got tons of the stars. I ultimately finished 1960 and then bought a 1961 set minus 15-20 cards from another friend. Upgraded and finished that set, bought a 1968 from Legendary and only had to add a couple to finish that one off. Then I started 1952 low number and am at 288/310 on that one along with starts on 1959, 1963, 1965 and am pretty close on them.

I've found buying large lots or near sets or 'starter' sets is a great way to go then pick off small lots of high numbers off ebay and wind up buying singles from battersbox, joesvintagesportscardsii or siriussports on ebay works pretty well. While you're buying closer to 'retail' from those three sellers, they've got impeccable customer service and offer a fantastic selection of cards in multiple grades. Have enjoyed building sets that way as funds are available and from sales on ebay. Have sold off a lot of dupes on the BST that I picked up along the way and met some great people in the process.

On a lot of the Mantles or big $ rookies, I've tried to buy PSA5/PSA6 stars and kind of set snipes on them and hope I win them in the range I'm looking for. I try to get them at really competitive prices and use cardtarget to see what they've sold for and be in the lower 30-40%. Sooner or later, I'll pick them off.....worked for clean copies of my 1959 Mantle/Gibson, 1960 Mantle/Mantle AS, etc. Generally try to find really nice centered copies in the 5-6 range and just hope the moderate snipes hold sooner or later.

Good luck on your quest(s)!

kailes2872
02-17-2014, 07:31 AM
I have used Battersbox a ton as well (along with Sirius Sports). When I get a low grade set, I separate the wheat from the chaff and put them in multiple categories - 1-4 (1 being it is a filler and need an immediate upgrade, 4 being there could be a surface crease when I hold it to the light with 2-3 everything in between). I then create additional categories of superstar, star, team card, common, high number, and special/multi-player card.

On my spreadsheet, I look at the high book, the most recent BIN for raw, BIN for PSA 6 & 7, and the most recent average auction price. This is a long process, but it equips me when I begin to knock out the upgrades. For the commons, starting with priority 1, I will go to the search page on ebay and start doing a BIN for EX cards at Battersbox. Sometimes, they are not the least expensive, but I have never been disappointed with the quality of the card - if they say it is EX, it is minimally EX. The free shipping is a plus. I will also look for any value. In my 59, I found a Clemente SGC 80 for 50 bucks as a BIN that just listed. I found a Kaline for below the best recent auction price, etc.

I have to drive to New Jersey from Pittsburgh about once a month at 56.5 cents a mile (800 mile round trip). After fillups, each trip gives about 300 in profit in the baseball card fund. Trips are now named - i.e. A trip in October was the Maris rookie trip, In November, it was the (partial) #10 PSA 6 '59 Mantle trip. I just took my '59 Gibson PSA 6 trip. It feeds the habit and keeps the peace at home. My big buys come at bonus time and then I fill in the colors in the interim.

pawpawdiv9
02-17-2014, 11:39 AM
from a Ebay seller standpoint..i try and give a fair or close to BV price and include the fees that Ebay and Paypal charge. which is about 13% for both. Usually shipping is optional. Sometimes i choose to ship for free, especially on high dollar items, but also factor insurance cost as well.
Theres alot of factors into pricing a item..such as startprice and BIN now pricing, Ebay wants you to list the BIN 30% above the start price.
Therefore it is much easier to skip all these fees, and just use NET54, much easier.

Harliduck
02-17-2014, 12:10 PM
I build sets very similar to the above...and I have found that using net54 for my initial lots has been FAR better than Ebay. There are several great trusted members here who routinely give great deals and under grade.

As for Ebay...I too use Sirius often. They routinely under grade and I am always happy...especially their 50's stock. I also really enjoy joesvintage, tripleplayvintage, mantlerulz to name a few I trust and have routinely been satisfied. Superbowlauctions is another great dealer, except the shipping takes forever. I quit using batterbox...they are routinely over graded. Got burned too many times.

Anyway, about to start the 60 and 63...lots of fun!

Gr8Beldini
02-17-2014, 06:57 PM

Makes me wonder who lists this guy's cards for him.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Topps-510-Vida-Blue-Deans-Cards-2-GOOD-4943-/400659971053?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item5d4931fbed#ht_1600wt_782

savedfrommyspokes
02-17-2014, 07:14 PM
From the description section of Dean's ebay listing: "we have a staff of 14 employees and a 5000 sq. ft. office space"

With about 2500 annual transactions through ebay, my question is where does the income come from in order to cover the cost of 14 employees and the expense of a 5000 sf office? Do his sales come from his website, shows, etc?

rsdill2
02-17-2014, 07:26 PM
Every card you buy features a QR Code QR that you can scan to see your ACTUAL CARD (not a representation) on your Smart Phone or Tablet.
The QR Code will bring even more "value added" technological benefits in the future. We are planning to add statistical data about each card's condition, and even card collecting software to easily access your collection online.

You just can't put a price on the QR code feature. Makes that G/VG 75 Vida Blue worth 9 bucks.

JollyElm
02-17-2014, 08:05 PM
For those of you unfamiliar with Dean's Cards overpricing, here's the way it goes every time.

I'll use a favorite Mets player from my youth as my example--Ken Singleton. This is a low priced, common card. Nothing scarce about it whatsoever. When you search ebay for "Topps 1972 425," here's what you get. Pretty low prices (with a bit of an anomaly here and there) on cards in nice shape:

Then keep scrolling down and Dean, as he always does, appears and gives you a very hearty laugh:

Abso-freaking-lutely a joke!!!

hangman62
02-17-2014, 09:07 PM
I dont know how he sells anything on ebay, the prices are so out of whack... unless he thinks its a cute joke....but I dont think so

darkhorse9
02-18-2014, 07:11 AM
The way I've always done my set building is by attending a larger show (usually the Sun-Times in Chicago) and loading up on the commons there. Uncle Dick is by far the best as his cards are priced to sell. That way I avoid having to deal with multiple lots, shipping costs, and I can see first hand the condition of each card so I know they're graded consistently.

Then I hit e-bay to fill the holes and pick up the stars. Battersbox is a first choice, but Sirius is an excellent value as well. I agree with joesvintage, tripleplay and mantlerulz. I haven't been disappointed with any of them.

kailes2872
02-18-2014, 07:27 AM
I met Uncle Dick at the Robert Morris show in Pittsburgh last year. I loved the way his cards were laid out - by year in the binders with the pricing/condition layered in the sheet. I ended up spending the better part of Friday updating sets year by year. I am looking forward to attending my first National this year as I have been told that it is the Pgh show multiplied by about 10.

autograf
02-18-2014, 08:45 AM
I've also gotten some good deals from Joesvintage auctions at http://www.jvscauctions.com/catalog.aspx as well on bigger $ cards. He does a couple hundred items every two weeks.....usually 100 graded, 100 ungraded although he's been doing more graded lately. Anyway, I've picked up some decent stars there for at or less than they'd be on ebay for similar grades. Plus, ZERO commision on the buyer side for the auction.

John (Harliduck). I have some nice 1963's that I'm going to list as a lot. Probably 200+/- in EX to EXMT condition. Just sold a 1963 lot a while back on the B/S/T along with 1964. Just dupes from lots I've bought.

A great friend of mine is J.D. Heckathorn....he does those Pittsburgh shows and always has tons of midgrade cards in binders and stars in the case at reasonable prices. Look him up when you're in Chicago at Sun Times or Pittsburgh as well as the National. You won't meet a better guy.

darkhorse9
02-18-2014, 08:59 AM
A great friend of mine is J.D. Heckathorn....he does those Pittsburgh shows and always has tons of midgrade cards in binders and stars in the case at reasonable prices. Look him up when you're in Chicago at Sun Times or Pittsburgh as well as the National. You won't meet a better guy.

Agreed on JD. He usually comes up to Grand Rapids as well and he's always good for some cards. He doesn't deal much. he pretty much sticks to the listed prices on the cards, but he has a good variety and grades well.

Gr8Beldini
02-18-2014, 10:12 AM

Then keep scrolling down and Dean, as he always does, appears and gives you a very hearty laugh:

Abso-freaking-lutely a joke!!!

Yeah, but he's got free shipping.

m.wright58926
02-18-2014, 12:51 PM
I nominate this thread for post of the year...I had no idea you could eliminate the Dean's results by doing "-(Deans)". Now I won't have to sort through pages of meaningless search results...however, the time savings is partially offset by losing the comedy of someone wasting their time listing items with an opening bid 4-5X what the card usually sells for.

Seriously, why list it as an auction? This is why there's BIN.

Samsdaddy
02-18-2014, 02:11 PM
From the description section of Dean's ebay listing: "we have a staff of 14 employees and a 5000 sq. ft. office space"

With about 2500 annual transactions through ebay, my question is where does the income come from in order to cover the cost of 14 employees and the expense of a 5000 sf office? Do his sales come from his website, shows, etc?

I have the same question.

I don't get it. I used to purchase from Dean's years back and his prices were fair and his grading was spot on. Somewhere along the way his prices skyrocketed.

NateMack
02-18-2014, 08:52 PM
I have done business with Battersbox in person and online. They are a fantastic group to do business with and their prices are usually the best of the lot for whatever I am looking for. A plus for free shipping usually!

I have also done business with Uncle Dick in person at the big card shows here in Houston and his table is usually the one I spend the most time at. His binders are usually stocked pretty nicely.

Down here in Texas there are not very many big card shows, you guys in the north and the northeast have it way too good!

Samsdaddy
02-19-2014, 07:05 AM
I have done business with Battersbox in person and online. They are a fantastic group to do business with and their prices are usually the best of the lot for whatever I am looking for. A plus for free shipping usually!

I have also done business with Uncle Dick in person at the big card shows here in Houston and his table is usually the one I spend the most time at. His binders are usually stocked pretty nicely.

Down here in Texas there are not very many big card shows, you guys in the north and the northeast have it way too good!

I will also say Battersbox is great. Most of my recent purchases have been from Battersbox or Mantlerulz. You cannot go wrong with either seller.

steve B
02-19-2014, 07:39 AM
For those of you unfamiliar with Dean's Cards overpricing, here's the way it goes every time.

I'll use a favorite Mets player from my youth as my example--Ken Singleton. This is a low priced, common card. Nothing scarce about it whatsoever. When you search ebay for "Topps 1972 425," here's what you get. Pretty low prices (with a bit of an anomaly here and there) on cards in nice shape:

Love that last one in the first pic. I didn't know 425 was a high number.

Steve B

JollyElm
02-25-2014, 04:33 AM
Holy crap, guys!! I thought I would bump this thread because I ran across one of the most ridiculous cases on 'Deanitis' I have ever seen.

I decided to check on a 1972 Wayne Garrett #518 and look what appeared!! You can't make this stuff up. His card has very similar centering and tilting as the 99 cent card above his...but he decided to have his opening bid start at $148.49!!!! $148.49 for a common!!!!!!!!!! Almost one hundred and fifty dollars for a card everyone else sells for a buck!!!!!!!!!!

I can't stop laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sebie43
02-25-2014, 05:46 AM
But he's got free shipping.

Gr8Beldini
02-25-2014, 10:33 AM

Scroll down a bit farther...

Dean’s Cards reduced prices on most items. Many up to 50%! We have recently acquired lots of great collections of vintage baseball cards -- and we are passing the savings on to you!

bnorth
02-25-2014, 11:10 AM
Holy crap, guys!! I thought I would bump this thread because I ran across one of the most ridiculous cases on 'Deanitis' I have ever seen.

I decided to check on a 1972 Wayne Garrett #518 and look what appeared!! You can't make this stuff up. His card has very similar centering and tilting as the 99 cent card above his...but he decided to have his opening bid start at $148.49!!!! $148.49 for a common!!!!!!!!!! Almost one hundred and fifty dollars for a card everyone else sells for a buck!!!!!!!!!!

I can't stop laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are looking at it all wrong. Dean's Cards only has to sell 1 card and they make more cash then someone else selling 200 of the same card. The problem is finding 1 sucker, I mean customer to buy it.

JollyElm
02-27-2014, 03:35 PM
Apparently douch*bag Dean reads this forum, because he started eliminating his company name from his auction titles. Now we can't weed out his BS with a simple "-Dean" anymore. What a complete and utter d*ck!!!!!!!

(And yes, I realize I'm personifying the entire company with the use of "Dean" as a single person. But someone's in charge over there and he'll always be Dean to me.)

Harliduck
02-27-2014, 06:12 PM
"Dean's Cards" took advantage of my wife a while back, that guy can go screw himself.

brewing
02-27-2014, 07:47 PM
Apparently douch*bag Dean reads this forum, because he started eliminating his company name from his auction titles. Now we can't weed out his BS with a simple "-Dean" anymore. What a complete and utter d*ck!!!!!!!

(And yes, I realize I'm personifying the entire company with the use of "Dean" as a single person. But someone's in charge over there and he'll always be Dean to me.)

+1

I'm Brent In gr@m and I approve this message.

BillP
02-28-2014, 05:54 PM
I also have wondering the mystery surrounding Dean's prices. Form his video, it appears that he is supporting an Admin staff of 10-12. So therein is the overhead to support the prices.
I am a collector of the following sets: 54, 58-59, 63-64 and 66-67. Have 63,66 and 67 complete and close on 54 and 59. Also collect 65 tall boy FB missing only 3 cards.
After I complete these I'm a bit unless about where I go. 62, 68 and 71 appear to be on the radar. I do not intend to collect 55-56 or 60-61. I just don't care for the format. 65 BB seem to show the diamond cut situation much more to me than other formats, same with 72.
I also collect 67 wacky packages which I had as a kid. Would like to collect 64-67 hockey but it's way over by pricing strategy.
Used to collect 68-69 Shirriff hockey coins. Very tough to complete.

Someday, a set of RedMan.

Lastly, Greg Morris cards from CA are top quality and I always look at his stuff.

bill