PDA

View Full Version : OT~ USA vs Russia hockey game

Phillies*phan
02-15-2014, 08:19 AM
OMG what a game. Don't know how many of you like hockey but Olympic hockey is the best. USA won in an awesome shootout. Mike Emrick could announce curling and get me excited.

Jim65
02-15-2014, 08:24 AM
Great game.

HercDriver
02-15-2014, 08:29 AM
Nice job by Oshie, but I don't like the International rules where the same guy keeps shooting. Give me Kane!!

Cheers,
Geno

Jim65
02-15-2014, 08:30 AM
Nice job by Oshie, but I don't like the International rules where the same guy keeps shooting. Give me Kane!!

Cheers,
Geno

I agree, I'm surprised Parise didn't even get a shot.

CobbvLajoie1910
02-15-2014, 08:33 AM
Incredible game.....and to do it on Russian ice. Phenominal.

HercDriver
02-15-2014, 08:34 AM
I love the NHL shootouts where you start getting the defensemen out there after about 9 shots. One day, I want to see the backup goalie going down the ice!

baker85
02-15-2014, 08:56 AM
Usa!!! Usa!!! Usa!!!

jbsports33
02-15-2014, 11:11 AM
Great game to watch, was up early to see most of it!

Jimmy

HOF Yankees
02-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Just like 1980 USA wins again

TUM301
02-15-2014, 11:47 AM
watched the whole game this morning and as predicted it was excellent. The large ice surface really allows for more wheeling and dealing but it appears team USA is built for just that. The medal rounds should be even better with the pressure all on the Russians. Canada looked a little flat but will have a say for sure, "do you believe in miracles" ?

HercDriver
02-15-2014, 11:59 AM
I have to disagree with all the references to the Miracle Game in 1980. This was NOTHING like that. We had no chance in that game…it was like a college team playing the Stanley Cup Champions. The US had no business being in that game, let alone winning it, then following it up with another big win for the Gold against Finland. The Soviets had already won games by scores like 16-0 (I'm not kidding). Only a few of those American players went on to play in the NHL, Neal Broten being the most notable.

And by the way, that game was against the Soviet Union, which today today is Russia plus a bunch of other countries. It was the best hockey players from a huge swath of the Earth's surface, who played together as a professional team. It still boggles my mind we won that game. I was babysitting for my neighbor that day, watching by myself as the kid slept…I'll never forget it!

Today's game was more like an NHL All-Star game. Awesome to watch, and a great win…but no miracle.

Cheers,
Geno

howard38
02-15-2014, 12:19 PM
I have to disagree with all the references to the Miracle Game in 1980. This was NOTHING like that. We had no chance in that game…it was like a college team playing the Stanley Cup Champions. The US had no business being in that game, let alone winning it, then following it up with another big win for the Gold against Finland. The Soviets had already won games by scores like 16-0 (I'm not kidding). Only a few of those American players went on to play in the NHL, Neal Broten being the most notable.

And by the way, that game was against the Soviet Union, which today today is Russia plus a bunch of other countries. It was the best hockey players from a huge swath of the Earth's surface, who played together as a professional team. It still boggles my mind we won that game. I was babysitting for my neighbor that day, watching by myself as the kid slept…I'll never forget it!

Today's game was more like an NHL All-Star game. Awesome to watch, and a great win…but no miracle.

Cheers,
Geno
I agree. Great game but nothing like the 1980 contest. It's also worth noting that the Russians may well have won the game had they not had a goal disallowed on a technicality.

sycks22
02-15-2014, 12:37 PM
Minnesota has the most players on its roster including Oshie. State of hockey is representing. Love it how they kept throwing him out there time after time.

Sean
02-15-2014, 12:58 PM
I agree. Great game but nothing like the 1980 contest. It's also worth noting that the Russians may well have won the game had they not had a goal disallowed on a technicality.

This was a great game, but the 1980 game was an event. As a previous poster pointed out, we were way overmatched against the Soviets.
And the political climate made it even bigger. The Soviet Union was our enemy at that time.

Sean
02-15-2014, 01:04 PM
Minnesota has the most players on its roster including Oshie. State of hockey is representing. Love it how they kept throwing him out there time after time.

Hey Pete, I don't know if you go back to the 1980 game, but Minnesota was represented then as well.
Nine of the 20 players played at the University of Minnesota:
Two more played at the U of Minnesota Duluth:
A 12th had played high school hockey in Minnesota, but went to the U of North Dakota;
and of course the coach, Herb Brooks, coached at the University of Minnesota. :D

sycks22
02-15-2014, 01:26 PM
Hey Pete, I don't know if you go back to the 1980 game, but Minnesota was represented then as well.
Nine of the 20 players played at the University of Minnesota:
Two more played at the U of Minnesota Duluth:
A 12th had played high school hockey in Minnesota, but went to the U of North Dakota;
and of course the coach, Herb Brooks, coached at the University of Minnesota. :D

Oh I remember. Big win

Joem36
02-15-2014, 01:42 PM
I was 10 and playing hockey when USA won the gold medal in 1980. I will never forget it.

brookdodger55
02-15-2014, 03:32 PM
It's nice to see the U.S.A play Russia with pros on both team, not like in 1980. We one anyway. Go U.S.A.
Mike

Jeffrompa
02-15-2014, 04:09 PM
I never liked the shoot out in the International Game . 16 shots and only a handful of the Worlds best players shooting . UGH @!!

forazzurri2axz
02-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Don't know if you know---most do not, that just a short time before the Olympics, we played the Russian Machine in a "friendly" and lost 9-0!! This was truly the "miracle", and even if we can win a Gold this time, it doesn't come close to what those KIDS did......Brooks was a genius!!

By the way, as a reminder again, it wasn't even the gold medal game; We had to come from behind to Beat Finland for the Gold. I think the only example to compare might be David vs. Goliath!!

sebie43
02-15-2014, 04:43 PM
Holy Oshie amirite?

Texxxx
02-15-2014, 07:15 PM
The 1980 game was special on many levels. Not only the disparity in the players but it was right in the middle of the cold war and tensions where very high. The US was also in the middle of a recession with a huge gas shortage and long lines for gas. The mood of the country was very depressed. The Miracle game was a shot in the arm that brought the country together in a very uplifting mood. If for just a short time it made us feel great.

kcohen
02-15-2014, 08:01 PM
What a different world we live in today! NOBODY, save those who attended, saw the 1980 game live as it was televised on delay.

forazzurri2axz
02-16-2014, 04:29 PM
but 40,000,000 were there in person!!

Michael B
02-17-2014, 01:06 AM

Cheers,
Geno

I agree that this is nothing like the 1980 game where a group of college players and college graduates played what was essentially a professional team (Soviet Red Army). This game was just another game of NHL All Stars from one country playing the NHL and International All Stars from another country. A good game, but not the overhyped bull fed by the knuckleheads at NBC.

Oshie was picked to be the shooter after the first three shots as he leads the NHL in shootout goals this year with 7. His varied shot selection is what got him chosen.

I would guess that most people here are not hardcore Olympic fans. I happen to be one. Not just every two years, but every day, every year there is something Olympic related for me. This happens to be the FOURTH time that the United States and Russia have met in Olympic ice hockey competition since Russia or the Russian Federation reentered the Olympic Family as a separate nation. 1994 was the first time they competed as a nation since last competing in the 1924 Summer Games in Paris.

The U.S. lost to Russia 5-4 on February 21, 2006 during the Torino Olympics. The U.S. team included: Doug Weight, Keith Tkaczuk, Mike Modano, Bred Hedican (Mr. Kristi Yamaguchi), Bill Guerin and Chris Chelios. The Russian team included: Darius Kasparaitis, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Yashin, Zhukov and Kozlov.

During the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City the two teams tied 2-2 on February 16 and the U.S. beat Russia 3-2 in the Semi Finals on February 22. The U.S. team included: Tony Amonte, Tom Barrasso, Chris Chelios, Roenick, Hull, Leetch, LeClair, Dunham and Guerin. The Russian team included: The Bure Brothers, Fyodorov (improperly translated as Federov), Kasparaitis, Khababulin, Kovalchuk, Yashin and Samsonov.

These stats do not include the game they played against the Unified Team, technically Russia, on February 1, 1992 during the Alberville Olympics. The Unified Team beat the U.S. 5-2 in the Semi-Finals.

Geno, I completely disagree with your statement that Neal Broten was the most notable player to come out of the 1980 Squad. Ken Morrow-4 Stanley Cups, U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame. Broten - 1 Stanley Cup, U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame.