PDA

View Full Version : New guy here!

TimCarrollArt
02-15-2014, 07:04 AM
Hi All....

A friend of mine, Rich at Sports Collector's Daily, sent me here. He told me that "what I do" might be something that the collectors of this board would like to see. My name is Tim Carroll, and I am an elementary teacher by day - and an artist by night/weekend. I enjoy taking materials that have a special symbolism to a specific person and I make a portrait/action shot of that person with said materials. Examples? "Shoeless" Joe Jackson from 19 cut black socks, framed with 8 white socks. Ty Cobb from peach pits. Ted Williams from toothpicks. Most importantly, I cut modern baseball cards into small pieces and use those pieces to form my favorite vintage baseball cards. Here is my '54 Aaron from cut cards, to give you an idea:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg64/timcarrollart/hankaaron_zpscfeaac33.jpg

Thank you for letting me share my art with you. You can see any of the pieces mentioned above, and many, many more at: http://www.timcarrollart.com

SmokyBurgess
02-15-2014, 07:10 AM
The Andy Warhol of Net54 has arrived!

Welcome...very interesting work you do.

t206trader
02-15-2014, 07:12 AM
That's incredible Tim! I look forward to seeing much more of your art. Any chance you'll start doing some commission work? I'm sure a ton of collectors here would be interested! Welcome to the board I'm sure you'll fit right in :)

Eric72
02-15-2014, 07:14 AM
Tim,

Welcome to Net54. Outstanding work on the Aaron...very impressive.

Best regards,

Eric

TimCarrollArt
02-15-2014, 07:15 AM
The Andy Warhol of Net54 has arrived!

Welcome...very interesting work you do.

Haha! Now THAT would be a cool moniker for me to own. The "Andy Warhol of Sportscards."

That's incredible Tim! I look forward to seeing much more of your art. Any chance you'll start doing some commission work? I'm sure a ton of collectors here would be interested! Welcome to the board I'm sure you'll fit right in :)

Thanks! What started out as something fun has actually turned into a side career, as commissions now make up more than 50% of my work.;). Thanks for the warm welcome!

Tim

kamikidEFFL
02-15-2014, 07:18 AM
Very nice piece you got there and welcome to the board.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-15-2014, 07:29 AM
Wow. Nice stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-15-2014, 07:30 AM
Website link doesn't work for me.

TimCarrollArt
02-15-2014, 07:39 AM
Thanks again for the warm welcome, everyone!

Website link doesn't work for me.

Thanks....I think it is fixed now.

Tim

Jason
02-15-2014, 07:57 AM
You have some amazing talents.Please post the Joe Jackson one if possible.I think I remember seeing the Peach Pit Ty Cobb somewhere.Anyway,welcome aboard!

TimCarrollArt
02-15-2014, 08:05 AM
You have some amazing talents.Please post the Joe Jackson one if possible.I think I remember seeing the Peach Pit Ty Cobb somewhere.Anyway,welcome aboard!

Thanks, Jason. Here is the Jackson. I took a picture before I framed it, then I sold it. I forgot to get a picture of it with the 8 white socks around it before I shipped it. I remains the largest sports art piece I have created (over 3.5 feet tall after frame).

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg64/timcarrollart/scandal6.jpg

Here is the Cobb:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg64/timcarrollart/cobb5_zps935ce1f4.jpg

Shoeless Moe
02-15-2014, 08:25 AM
Can you do an Arod out of 300 million syringes?

johnmh71
02-15-2014, 08:40 AM
Awesome stuff. You definitely have a talent.

queencitysportscards
02-15-2014, 08:45 AM
Great work and welcome to the board! I would love to be able to showcase and offer your work to our customers.

Hank

mrvster
02-15-2014, 09:03 AM
that was hilarious!!:D:)

Welcome collector! great art! can you make a freak T206?? scrap??:confused::) or a wagner??:D

you'll love it here sir

ooo-ribay
02-15-2014, 09:04 AM
very, very cool Tim. Welcome from another new guy.

maybe I missed it in the descriptions......how big are your typical works?

TimCarrollArt
02-15-2014, 09:27 AM
Can you do an Arod out of 300 million syringes?

I'm sure the ARod out of syringes is possible, but I just want him to go away.;)

Awesome stuff. You definitely have a talent.

Thanks!

Great work and welcome to the board! I would love to be able to showcase and offer your work to our customers.

Hank

Hi Hank.....that certainly can be possible. I'll be in touch soon to see if we can work something out.

that was hilarious!!:D:)

Welcome collector! great art! can you make a freak T206?? scrap??:confused::) or a wagner??:D

you'll love it here sir

Thanks - I am already loving the reception and kindness I am seeing. The first, absolute first piece of art that I made like this was the T206 Wagner. I made it back in '09 for the 100th anniversary. I consider it very "rough" as compared to my most recent pieces like the Aaron, Musial, and Clemente. I feel like I have grown considerably as an artist, and I know I have much more growing to go. For some reason, I can't get the Wagner piece to load like the others. You can see it here:

http://www.timcarrollart.com/theholygrail.htm

very, very cool Tim. Welcome from another new guy.

maybe I missed it in the descriptions......how big are your typical works?

Most of the pieces are in the 34" x 24" range. Some are slightly smaller. Some are a bit larger. For many of my earlier pieces, I even counted the exact amount of common cards it took to create each piece. I have gotten away from that, as I now work on several at once and keeping up with the numbers is virtually impossible.

Here are a few others I have made from the past couple of years:

George Brett from Pine Tar:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg64/timcarrollart/pinetar_zps604f3090.jpg

Reggie Jackson from Straws (The Straw that Stirred the Drink!):

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg64/timcarrollart/reggiefinished.jpg

Ozzie Smith from leather scraps:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg64/timcarrollart/Ozzie_zps9d03bb23.jpg

Stan Musial from cut cards:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg64/timcarrollart/StanFinished.jpg

Roberto Clemente from cut cards (just finished this one a couple of days ago):

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg64/timcarrollart/Clemente1_zpsac683c5f.jpg

Jackie Robinson from cut cards:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg64/timcarrollart/JackieFINAL.jpg

novakjr
02-15-2014, 09:34 AM
Love the work. I'm especially partial to the "bo knows". Although, I did notice that in your write-up you mentioned his draft history, but failed to note that he was drafted in the 2nd round of the '82 draft(49 overall) by the Yankees..

It's possible that he'll be the only person EVER to be drafted Twice(each) in two major professional sports.. Although, to be honest, I'm not 100% sure that no one else has done that too. Mostly because I'm not that familiar with NBA and NHL draft histories..

dferguso1988
02-15-2014, 09:38 AM
Those are absolutely incredible!! I love the George Brett piece with the pine tar...amazing. Extremely talented.

TimCarrollArt
02-15-2014, 09:47 AM
Love the work. I'm especially partial to the "bo knows". Although, I did notice that in your write-up you mentioned his draft history, but failed to note that he was drafted in the 2nd round of the '82 draft(49 overall) by the Yankees..

It's possible that he'll be the only person EVER to be drafted Twice(each) in two major professional sports.. Although, to be honest, I'm not 100% sure that no one else has done that too. Mostly because I'm not that familiar with NBA and NHL draft histories..

I did not know the story of Bo being drafted by NYY! Learn something new everyday. My brother was drafted by the Yanks in 2000, but it was much farther down - and he never signed (it was during the days of the Draft and Follow). Thanks for sharing that about Bo.....

Those are absolutely incredible!! I love the George Brett piece with the pine tar...amazing. Extremely talented.

Thank you, sir. The Brett is currently the only piece I have ever had to destroy because it didn't hold up. I spent a couple of years planning it, hoping I could find a way in science to help preserve the pine tar. Unfortunately, it was too viscous, and within 2 weeks.....the thicker sections of tar had merged with the other areas. I used sample sections to try an acrylic seal, but the tar moved under it; I tried heat, but the tar thinned out faster instead of drying; after consulting with several "experts" on tar online - I gave up and decided to just stick with the photos I had taken.

Zach Wheat
02-15-2014, 09:59 AM
Welcome Tim. Cool stuff. How large is your typical artwork? Just curious...it is difficult to tell from the pics.

Z Wheat

TimCarrollArt
02-15-2014, 10:03 AM
Welcome Tim. Cool stuff. How large is your typical artwork? Just curious...it is difficult to tell from the pics.

Z Wheat

Thanks! Most of the pieces are 34" x 24". Some are a bit larger, some are a couple of inches smaller.

Tim

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-15-2014, 10:37 AM
Finally got to check out the site. Very cool stuff. It is impressive how far you have come since the Wagner. Your style reminds me a lot of
Elizabeth St. Hilaire Nelson. She does a lot of animal scenes.

http://www.grandbohemiangallery.com/artists/12/elizabeth-st-hilaire-nelson/

TimCarrollArt
02-15-2014, 10:50 AM
Finally got to check out the site. Very cool stuff. It is impressive how far you have come since the Wagner. Your style reminds me a lot of
Elizabeth St. Hilaire Nelson. She does a lot of animal scenes.

http://www.grandbohemiangallery.com/artists/12/elizabeth-st-hilaire-nelson/

Thank you sir. I agree...I feel like I am getting better with each piece. I still cherish the Wagner and the '52 Mantle that I made shortly after, but I am evolving from giving representations of the originals such as those - and I feel my work is getting more realistic with each piece.

Thank you for sharing the above artist - I love the pieces I saw of the waitresses. Very nice!

jbsports33
02-15-2014, 10:52 AM
Welcome, Rich is great guy and always has good info on his website

great looking piece!

Jimmy

dferguso1988
02-15-2014, 11:09 AM
I did not know the story of Bo being drafted by NYY! Learn something new everyday. My brother was drafted by the Yanks in 2000, but it was much farther down - and he never signed (it was during the days of the Draft and Follow). Thanks for sharing that about Bo.....

Thank you, sir. The Brett is currently the only piece I have ever had to destroy because it didn't hold up. I spent a couple of years planning it, hoping I could find a way in science to help preserve the pine tar. Unfortunately, it was too viscous, and within 2 weeks.....the thicker sections of tar had merged with the other areas. I used sample sections to try an acrylic seal, but the tar moved under it; I tried heat, but the tar thinned out faster instead of drying; after consulting with several "experts" on tar online - I gave up and decided to just stick with the photos I had taken.

That is a shame to hear! At least you were able to preserve it by photographs..either way extremely impressive work of art!

Wite3
02-15-2014, 12:35 PM
The Jackie is Fantastic! Love it...welcome to the board!

Joshua

joeadcock
02-15-2014, 12:56 PM
Hello

EvilKing00
02-15-2014, 03:09 PM
Awesome stuff man u deff have talent!

sebie43
02-15-2014, 04:47 PM
Welcome man, your artwork is awesome. good luck I look forward to the next pic

the 'stache
02-15-2014, 07:15 PM
Welcome to the forum, Tim.

Your work is amazing! I especially like your Clemente and Hank Aaron. And as a guitarist, I really appreciate the Hendrix picture. I would have never thought of using guitar picks in that way.

It does my a lot of good to see a talented artist pursuing something they are so passionate about. Keep it up, and please let us know when you've completed new pieces.

Bill

EvilKing00
02-15-2014, 07:31 PM
I cant remember the artist your work reminds me of. The guy painted like small objects, foods etc but when u step back and look at the whole canvis it was a cool painting of like people or whatever.

TimCarrollArt
02-15-2014, 07:33 PM
I appreciate the kind words, everyone!

Welcome to the forum, Tim.

Your work is amazing! I especially like your Clemente and Hank Aaron. And as a guitarist, I really appreciate the Hendrix picture. I would have never thought of using guitar picks in that way.

It does my a lot of good to see a talented artist pursuing something they are so passionate about. Keep it up, and please let us know when you've completed new pieces.

Bill

Thanks, Bill! I had no intent of selling the Hendrix. After I made it, a local blues joint that had been open for a couple of months purchased my Elvis. He asked if he could also hang the Hendrix. I told him it wasn't for sale (everything on the walls of the blues club had a price attached and was for sale). He told me to price it where nobody would buy it. I did. Two days later, he called me to come pick up a check. I was stunned. Less than a month later, a person representing Paul Allen (co-founder of Microsoft) contacted me asking me about the Hendrix. Evidently, he's a big Hendrix guy. That was a pretty amazing email exchange.

39special
02-15-2014, 07:51 PM
Welcome Tim. Your work is incredible!How long does it take to do of your pictures?

TimCarrollArt
02-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Welcome Tim. Your work is incredible!How long does it take to do of your pictures?

Thank you! Depends on the medium....the cut card pieces take anywhere from 40 hours and up. The Jackie Robinson piece took me over 70 hours, but that piece was larger and had a ton of detail that I had to create without an exact photo reference. Most of the other mediums take less time -some as low as 10-15 hours.

h2oya311
02-15-2014, 08:04 PM
Tim - now that's a way to make an entrance onto our (and your) forum!!!

Welcome aboard! Please don't cut up any of the cards I'm collecting. I assume it's mostly modern stuff you're slicing up!!

Do you need any '90s card donations???

Has anyone else been to the ESPN Zone in NY's Times Square?? There is a huge mural of Babe Ruth leading up the stairs made entirely of uncut baseball cards. Similar in style to your work Tim, but on a huge scale.

All the best!! And welcome aboard!!

jdl7860
02-15-2014, 08:11 PM
Awesome work! Are you from Tupelo? I can't remember why I was thinking that:confused:

TimCarrollArt
02-15-2014, 08:46 PM
Tim - now that's a way to make an entrance onto our (and your) forum!!!

Welcome aboard! Please don't cut up any of the cards I'm collecting. I assume it's mostly modern stuff you're slicing up!!

Do you need any '90s card donations???

Has anyone else been to the ESPN Zone in NY's Times Square?? There is a huge mural of Babe Ruth leading up the stairs made entirely of uncut baseball cards. Similar in style to your work Tim, but on a huge scale.

All the best!! And welcome aboard!!

Thanks! Almost 100% of the cards I use is from '87-'89. Occasionally, I use some '85 Topps, '90 Donruss, or some '91 junk commons (Score, Donruss, Fleer). And sure,there are times when I run out of certain sets that I need cards from - I'm not shy about putting out feelers for donations!:) I pick up the tab on shipping, of course. And, no, I haven't seen that Ruth...gonna have to do a Google search and see if I can find it!

Awesome work! Are you from Tupelo? I can't remember why I was thinking that:confused:

Yes! Are you from the NEMS area? I was born in Tupelo, lived in Fulton pretty much my whole life, and taught in Tupelo once I finished my degree. My Elvis hangs in the Blue Canoe there. I moved to SC about 3 years ago.

Tim

Ronnie73
02-15-2014, 10:37 PM
Welcome to the board Tim. I'm very impressed and it takes a lot to impress me when it comes to just about anything. I checked out your website and the Action Comics is probably my favorite. When doing the art that requires you to cut from a comic or card, do you ever run into that one color/area that is difficult to find a match for or do you tend to have a lot of pieces to choose from?

Edited to add: Wow, just noticed your from Conway. Myrtle Beach is my favorite vacation spot.

Rich Klein
02-16-2014, 02:30 AM
Welcome, Rich is great guy and always has good info on his website

great looking piece!

Jimmy

Especially Rich Klein's Ramblings and EBay Card of the Day/Set of the Week :D

MattyC
02-16-2014, 06:19 AM
Serious talent on display there. Beautiful work and site. Bravo, man.

EvilKing00
02-16-2014, 06:20 AM
how large are most of these pieces? its hard to tell from the scans,

TimCarrollArt
02-16-2014, 06:37 AM
Welcome to the board Tim. I'm very impressed and it takes a lot to impress me when it comes to just about anything. I checked out your website and the Action Comics is probably my favorite. When doing the art that requires you to cut from a comic or card, do you ever run into that one color/area that is difficult to find a match for or do you tend to have a lot of pieces to choose from?

Edited to add: Wow, just noticed your from Conway. Myrtle Beach is my favorite vacation spot.

Thanks! Yes, I have found one color that has been difficult to nail. Being that I am a baseball nut that lives in Conway, I'm a season ticket holder to Coastal Carolina University baseball. My sons are Chanticleer freaks, and I would love to make some pieces of their favorite CCU players - but I can't seem to find enough of the right shade of TEAL that is at least close enough to make it work. The search continues!

Other than that, most colors are easy to find on cards, comics, etc. Now, soda bottle caps, that's a different story. I created 2 large bottle cap murals at the school I where I work (about 8' x 10'). I used bottle caps to tie in with the school's recycling. The students collected bottle caps for several months to get me started. I have become comically well-versed in the area of bottle caps now, lol! Black bottle caps are only found on: Powerade, Coke Zero, Minute Maid products, some drink that starts with a Z, and a handful of various regional beverages. Those black caps are tough to round up in bunches!

We love MB. We lived there until last summer, when we built a house closer to work (and away from the tourist traffic). Still just a stone's throw away from the beach, so it'll work.

how large are most of these pieces? its hard to tell from the scans,

I apologize for not answering you earlier - I thought I included you on a multi-quote, but I guess I didn't. Most pieces are in the 34" x 24" range. Some are a couple of inches larger, some are a couple of inches smaller.

aquarius31
02-16-2014, 02:50 PM
Welcome Tim...great site and such unique pieces of art! Keep up the great work...I'm guessing you're going to be very busy now that you've found net54:)

geor952
02-16-2014, 03:03 PM
Tim,
Great work! I love them all, but the Clemente is extra special to me. I love the cut card faces, really cool mosaics! Welcome to our community!

Ronnie73
02-16-2014, 04:15 PM
Thanks! Yes, I have found one color that has been difficult to nail. Being that I am a baseball nut that lives in Conway, I'm a season ticket holder to Coastal Carolina University baseball. My sons are Chanticleer freaks, and I would love to make some pieces of their favorite CCU players - but I can't seem to find enough of the right shade of TEAL that is at least close enough to make it work. The search continues!.

I always liked the 1984 Donruss Baseball set for their no black line transition into the white borders. I also liked the teal color backs. Maybe that teal color is close enough to the CCU team.

TimCarrollArt
02-16-2014, 06:28 PM
Welcome Tim...great site and such unique pieces of art! Keep up the great work...I'm guessing you're going to be very busy now that you've found net54:)

YES! THIS! Lol, Keep me busy, please! The vintage stuff is just so pretty, and I want to recreate as many as I can in my lifetime.

Tim,
Great work! I love them all, but the Clemente is extra special to me. I love the cut card faces, really cool mosaics! Welcome to our community!

Thanks! I feel that, technically, I am getting better with each and every piece. I learn something new every time, and I feel it makes the next one even better. The Clemente is my latest, and I feel that it rivals the Aaron as my strongest work.

I always liked the 1984 Donruss Baseball set for their no black line transition into the white borders. I also liked the teal color backs. Maybe that teal color is close enough to the CCU team.

Interesting. I'm 35, and I started collecting in '87. For the next few years, '84 product was out of that 9-12 year old's budget (thank you, Don Mattingly). By the time the early 90's were rolling around I was into Frank Thomas, 1962 Topps, and 1955 Bowman. Any money I made at shows or mowing yards went to those cards, and I had no care for the mid-89's stuff anymore. I'm not sure I have ever owned a 1984 Donruss common in my life. I'll certainly check into that....thanks for the lead!

Tim

mrvster
02-16-2014, 07:41 PM
outstanding work!:eek:

Boccabella
02-17-2014, 04:43 PM
Here is the story I wrote on Tim's work a few years ago: http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/how-to-turn-996-common-baseball-cards-into-a-honus-wagner/

It shows and tells a little about the process by which he creates these works. When I first saw what he did, I thought it was a stroke of genius and still do. You may never own a T206 Wagner but you might be able to own a Carroll Wagner.

1990 Donruss commons have never been put to better use.

Rich Mueller
Editor
Sports Collectors Daily (http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com)

TimCarrollArt
02-17-2014, 04:54 PM
outstanding work!:eek:

Here is the story I wrote on Tim's work a few years ago: http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/how-to-turn-996-common-baseball-cards-into-a-honus-wagner/

It shows and tells a little about the process by which he creates these works. When I first saw what he did, I thought it was a stroke of genius and still do. You may never own a T206 Wagner but you might be able to own a Carroll Wagner.

1990 Donruss commons have never been put to better use.

Rich Mueller
Editor
Sports Collectors Daily (http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com)

Thank you both. I really appreciate all of your help over the past 5 years, Rich.

ethicsprof
02-18-2014, 10:17 AM
welcome aboard!
very interesting work you're doing and great talent.

best,
barry

jbhofmann
02-19-2014, 10:44 AM
This Reggie Jackson made entirely of straws is genius

http://www.timcarrollart.com/Reggie%20Finished.JPG

tedzan
02-20-2014, 08:23 AM
Great stuff, Tim

Welcome aboard...... "the good ship Net54"

TED Z

TimCarrollArt
02-20-2014, 06:59 PM
welcome aboard!
very interesting work you're doing and great talent.

best,
barry

This Reggie Jackson made entirely of straws is genius

http://www.timcarrollart.com/Reggie%20Finished.JPG

Great stuff, Tim

Welcome aboard...... "the good ship Net54"

TED Z

Thanks again to all of you.....you all know how to make a new guy feel the love. I appreciate all of the kind words, emails, and business you have given me over the last couple of days. Can't wait for you to see the commission I'm working on for a member here - I think you all will appreciate it.:)

Tim

wolf441
02-22-2014, 03:46 PM
I'm late to the post, but welcome to the board and your work is absolutely incredible!!

Best,

Steve