PDA

View Full Version : I want to have this mantle glove tag graded but can't

toppszl1
02-14-2014, 08:05 PM
I sent these pictures to both PSA and SGC within the past 2 weeks and both companies turned it down w/o me sending the cards to them, one said they wouldn't chance it due to being counterfeit, I found these cards one day picking at a flea market, I was hoping to have both of them slabbed, but now what...

Bestdj777
02-14-2014, 08:24 PM
I have seen these pop up a bit over the last couple of years. If you Google them, you'll find some discussions on a different collectors forum that strongly suggests these are fantasy pieces. The only glove related thing I am aware of that PSA grades is the Rawlings box cutting, which is not really a card but rather a picture on a box.

Bestdj777
02-14-2014, 08:28 PM
Here is a link to the discussion I was thinking of about the glove tag:

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=27&threadid=729756

For what it is worth, I am pretty certain the seller on there was not knowingly trying to push potentially counterfeit goods but unknowingly bought some of questionable authenticity. I have bought from kingbeeswax several times and like the guy a lot.

whiteymet
02-14-2014, 09:49 PM
I had the same problem when I asked both TPG's if they would grade Hartland tags.

First, I don't think they even knew what Hartland tags are.

Second, they did not even seem interested. Strange a company would turn down a new business "stream"

Fred

toppszl1
02-15-2014, 06:28 AM
Thank You group for the info, I'm stuck in a rut, no slabbing at this point and not sure to proclaim as an little investment for years to come.

glynparson
02-16-2014, 02:22 AM
They are definitely real, these pieces are almost definitely fantasy. However the Hartland tag reprints tend to be rather good, i do not think there is a Hartland tag expert at any of the grading services, and i don't think the demand for tag grading is enough to hire one. So I think they are smart to turn something down rather than just grade it on a whim.

toppszl1
02-16-2014, 07:52 AM
glynparson

I appreciate the info, I wish there was a 100% way to eliminate the fantasy vs real card scenerio everytime we or they look at a card, I've been burned on about 10 or 12 cards now Mantle + Aaron + Ruth. I wonder if there's any tools to determine that and do the grading companies use that, I saw a PSA video one time and it looked like the guy was in a dark one with a light analyzing the card, not sure if a scanner, superior black light etc, would do the trick

Thanks

ALR-bishop
02-16-2014, 08:35 AM
Are these listed in the SCD Catalog ? I collect mostly Topps and Fleer post war but my wife has been a long time shareholder in H & B so I have put together a set of their Louisville Slugger glove cards. Those are in the Catalog. I shun graded cards so don 't know if any of them are graded .

mybestbretts
02-16-2014, 09:44 AM
I just got 5 Wilson glove tags ungraded and noticed on the Brett population report "K9 per rezi" I sent an email to them and they said they are no
longer grading Wilson glove tags and took them out of the Brett registry.
I assume that is the same for all Wilson glove tags. So anyone interested
in the glove tags I had already had graded.
I really wish that PSA would have an area where they list what they won't
grade so we don't waste our money shipping.

toppszl1
02-18-2014, 07:47 PM
Okay so let me get this straight, check the ebay link on Mantle glove cards, one is slabbed, get this no name of the manufacture as the seller states but it was done it's a 9, and the item went to $100.00

There is no pun towards the buyer or seller, I'm stating the fact, you put it in a slab and it sells, we don't know or do we know it fake.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rawlings-Mickey-Mantle-Glove-Tag-Card-Graded-Slabbed-Mint-9-/141133259494?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item20dc32a2e6

As I stated to the grading companies, they need researchers for the items out there that people want to slab, you can't take a glance with your eye and go gee I'm not sure, maybe we shouldn't.

Rich Klein
02-19-2014, 05:35 AM
a 50-50 the card graders are better off not grading the item. While we might think at times they should donate a ton of research efforts, the risk/reward is not worth it to them on a financial basis. That is for the reasonably small amount of revenue these cards bring. In theory I agree with not wanting to leave money on the table. but,,,..

Rich

glynparson
02-21-2014, 04:17 AM
is done by some fly by night company it has less integrity to me than if it were raw. The item pictured by the OP is in my opinion a fantasy piece. The one pictured by the op is almost certainly not original and has MANY of the tell tale signs of modern reproduction. Comparing a no name service to PSA, SGC or even BVG is a joke and using them as an example has zero credibility. They (PSA,SGC) are also a business and asking them to spend more to grade an item then they would make on it is asinine. I am sure if you had a large enough quantity to make it financially worthwhile they would do the research. Remember the grading companies are not here to perform a public service they are here to make a profit.

callou2131
02-24-2014, 05:47 AM
There is a company called slab my cards. They put them in a slab and type anything you want them to on a flip. Many ebay scammers use this and try to sell graded 10 cards. This guy http://www.ebay.com/sch/tobaccoroadcards/m.html?item=301038115803&pt=US_Baseball&hash=item4617451bdb&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Makes a ton selling Garbage to unknowing people. He uses these garbage grading services. He fakes printing plates, slabs them and puts "authentic gem mint 10" on them. He also sells counterfiets and slabs them as authentic. Then again he also wins alot of his own auctions lol. Ebay will do anything for a buck.
Tom Carter