PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Steiner hardly slept at all last night

RichardSimon
02-14-2014, 06:42 AM
It seems that dreaming up new "created collectibles" kept him up most of the night.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/14/sports/baseball/let-the-marketing-of-derek-jeters-farewell-begin.html?_r=0

Runscott
02-14-2014, 09:17 AM
'The Derek Jeter Final Journey Collection' :eek:

Leon
02-14-2014, 09:19 AM

To me, personally, it would have a negative value. I would probably pay to have it removed.

RichardSimon
02-14-2014, 09:21 AM
I am sure Steiner can come up with something for you Leon, they seem to have a knack for coming up with something.

Leon
02-14-2014, 09:43 AM
I am sure Steiner can come up with something for you Leon, they seem to have a knack for coming up with something.

They are courting Net54baseball quite hard in helping to promote their items. They have some kind of affiliate program where I/we could get a discount. I still need to make a decision but don't believe it's something I want to do. That being said, if our members (forget about me, I don't count) would like a discount on their items I might be able to swing it. The whole Steiner thing leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth but maybe it shouldn't? I dunno....

RichardSimon
02-14-2014, 10:07 AM
"Created collectibles" to me do not fit the Net54 members, for the most part I would think.
Created collectibles with amazingly high prices (are those sustained in the after market?) are not what most of us are looking for.

Leon
02-14-2014, 10:11 AM
"Created collectibles" to me do not fit the Net54 members, for the most part I would think.
Created collectibles with amazingly high prices (are those sustained in the after market?) are not what most of us are looking for.

I know Richard. And that is why I haven't done it. And to clarify, I am not referring to any particular event when I say the "whole Steiner" thing. I am referring to the fact that, because of how much everything in Pro Sports costs, it has gotten away from the average middle class person. I really never got over the MLB strike from 1994 either.

barrysloate
02-14-2014, 10:37 AM
Don't do it Leon. As Richard said, it goes against what our community collects.

thetruthisoutthere
02-14-2014, 11:58 AM
They are courting Net54baseball quite hard in helping to promote their items. They have some kind of affiliate program where I/we could get a discount. I still need to make a decision but don't believe it's something I want to do. That being said, if our members (forget about me, I don't count) would like a discount on their items I might be able to swing it. The whole Steiner thing leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth but maybe it shouldn't? I dunno....

I hope you say "No," Leon.

For years I tried to get Steiner Sports (Brandon Steiner) to help fight autograph fraud in the hobby. I must have emailed Steiner Sports over a dozen times about certain issues.

I remember two years ago I emailed Steiner Sports about a website that was selling over 100 Derek Jeter forgeries. The forgeries were the GAI (Steve Sipe) certed forgeries. There I was going out of my way to protect the interests of Steiner Sports and nothing, and now they want to advertise their over-priced items here!!!

I vote "No."

The heck with them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yanks12025
02-14-2014, 12:04 PM
I vote yes, interested to see what they offer.

Leon
02-14-2014, 12:05 PM
I hope you say "No," Leon.

For years I tried to get Steiner Sports (Brandon Steiner) to help fight autograph fraud in the hobby. I must have emailed Steiner Sports over a dozen times about certain issues.

I remember two years ago I emailed Steiner Sports about a website that was selling over 100 Derek Jeter forgeries. The forgeries were the GAI (Steve Sipe) certed forgeries. There I as going out of my way to protect the interests of Steiner Sports and nothing, and now they want to advertise their over-priced items here!!!

I vote "No."

Hey Chris
I am going to tell them NO. Is it ok if I cut and paste your message above? If they want to be in the sports memorabilia business they should join the fight with us....

thetruthisoutthere
02-14-2014, 12:13 PM
Hey Chris
I am going to tell them NO. Is it ok if I cut and paste your message above? If they want to be in the sports memorabilia business they should join the fight with us....

Please do, Leon.

Thank you.

Maddog
02-14-2014, 12:33 PM
Good for you Leon!
Steiner is part of what is wrong with our hobby.
They are pricing the kids out and once we are done collecting where will the hobby be?

$300 for a Jeter or Maddox ball- like they need the extra $$$$

Charlie.

Leon
02-14-2014, 12:36 PM
Please do, Leon.

Thank you.

Thanks Chris. Here is the message I just sent them...

"Hi Ann
I run a forum of extremely avid collectors. We look out for the hobby a lot. I personally have helped the Secret Service, FBI, Postal Inspector and Dept. Of Homeland Security, over the last year in rooting out fraud. Unfortunately it seems Steiner is only out for the money. Here is a message you might pass on, if anyone caresナI cut and pasted it from my forum, and it is from Christopher Williams, who helps the hobby a ton.

"For years I tried to get Steiner Sports (Brandon Steiner) to help fight autograph fraud in the hobby. I must have emailed Steiner Sports over a dozen times about certain issues.

I remember two years ago I emailed Steiner Sports about a website that was selling over 100 Derek Jeter forgeries. The forgeries were the GAI (Steve Sipe) certed forgeries. There I as going out of my way to protect the interests of Steiner Sports and nothing, and now they want to advertise their over-priced items here!!!

I vote "No."

So with that being said I will respectfully decline working with Steiner until Steiner proves they help more than their pockets.
Thanks
leon"

thetruthisoutthere
02-14-2014, 12:38 PM

"Hi Ann
I run a forum of extremely avid collectors. We look out for the hobby a lot. I personally have helped the Secret Service, FBI, Postal Inspector and Dept. Of Homeland Security, over the last year in rooting out fraud. Unfortunately it seems Steiner is only out for the money. Here is a message you might pass on, if anyone caresナI cut and pasted it from my forum, and it is from Christopher Williams, who helps the hobby a ton.

"For years I tried to get Steiner Sports (Brandon Steiner) to help fight autograph fraud in the hobby. I must have emailed Steiner Sports over a dozen times about certain issues.

I vote "No."

So with that being said I will respectfully decline working with Steiner until Steiner proves they help more than their pockets.
Thanks
leon"

Beautiful, Leon.

Shoeless Moe
02-14-2014, 01:18 PM

thetruthisoutthere
02-14-2014, 01:27 PM

Love it, Paul!!!!

doug.goodman
02-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Thank you Leon

SikSyko
02-14-2014, 02:12 PM

"Hi Ann

I vote "No."

Thanks
leon"

Great response.

khkco4bls
02-14-2014, 02:18 PM
Steiner all about the dollar. Everything overpriced. Greed by the tenth degree.

Lordstan
02-14-2014, 02:51 PM
Leon,
I'd love to hear what their response is to your email.
Mark

ctownboy
02-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Thank you, Leon, for not dealing with them.

I think that anybody who wants to buy items from Steiner Sports can go to them directly and buy from them. If Steiner can give a discount for an affiliate then an individual can at least ask for a discount if they decide to go to them directly.

Also, I might be wrong but I would think that if you knew what Steiner items looked like, you could go to eBay and get them at cheaper price if you were patient.....

Finally, when I think of "created collectibles" I think of Beanie Babies and Danbury Mint plates. Both of which were hyped when they were made, initally overpriced and that sell for much less (if they sell at all) now.

David

Leon
02-14-2014, 04:35 PM
Leon,
I'd love to hear what their response is to your email.
Mark

It is a polite and professional response.-

Hi Leon,

I can definitely appreciate your interest in and protection of collecting. As one who works in the signed memorabilia world, I have aligned myself with a business that I believe has the highest level of integrity.

I cannot speak to Christopher Williams' experience because I don't have all the facts. The only facts I do have are what I see day to day at Steiner. I see the handling of our athletes, their signing process, and the meticulous treatment of items once signed. I see the double authentication that rigorously goes into place for each piece of game-used memorabilia. And I see a business whose focus is on keeping their offerings fully authenticated, often at greatly inflated expense.

We are a business, that is true, so making money is how we continue on. I hope you'll consider this and decide to join us. But, if not, I do understand that you're in a unique position and coming at this decision from a very passionate place and you have my respect.

Thanks,
Ann

Lordstan
02-14-2014, 04:42 PM
That is a very professional response. Of course, I know there are many who have had a very different and decidedly not "meticulous" experience sending things into Steiner for private/public signings. I never had an issue, but I know others have.

I see in her quote "And I see a business whose focus is on keeping their offerings fully authenticated, often at greatly inflated expense," she forgot to add "at a greatly inflated price" to the end of the sentence.

Leon
02-14-2014, 04:46 PM
I see in her quote "And I see a business whose focus is on keeping their offerings fully authenticated, often at greatly inflated expense," she forgot to add "at a greatly inflated price" to the end of the sentence.

From everything I have read I immediately thought that too....but she did give a very good answer to a somewhat pointed rejection. I sort of felt bad when I read her response......

Lordstan
02-14-2014, 05:19 PM
From everything I have read I immediately thought that too....but she did give a very good answer to a somewhat pointed rejection. I sort of felt bad when I read her response......

I felt the same way reading it. At the same time what else could she really say? FU? I'm sure she has no idea about the incident Chris is talking about. I wonder if anybody there would remember it. Not because Chris isn't known, but because they are so busy doing all the stuff she listed, who knows if they stop and pay attention to emails like his. She certainly wasn't going to tell the owner of Net54 to take a hike and subsequently piss off the membership, who might be future customers.
I am a capitalist so I don't begrudge making money, but unfortunately it seems as though they take advantage of the common person, who has no idea about the type of stuff they sell. They sell manufactured "collectibles" and get top dollar for them. Good for them. Unfortunately, when the unsuspecting buyer goes to sell it for top dollar, or at a minimum tries to get their money back, because it came from "Steiner," they are in for a rude awakening. I can't tell how many times I have seen Steiner stuff on ebay for less than half of it's original price.

UnVme7
02-14-2014, 05:24 PM
If I remember correctly, they had a discount to members on a different forum about 3 yrs ago or so. With the discount, it was still 2-5 times overpriced.

In other words, the discount isn't anything to get excited over.

HRBAKER
02-14-2014, 05:32 PM
"The Final Journey Collection?"

Are these urns?

Lordstan
02-14-2014, 05:34 PM
"The Final Journey Collection?"

Are these urns?

Nice!
Filled with Yankee stadium dirt from the Shortstop area from his last game

thetruthisoutthere
02-14-2014, 05:52 PM
I also want to state that I have also been ignored by Topps, Upper Deck, etc., when I alerted those companies to some serious autograph issues.

They simply do not want to get involved.

Quick story.

Years ago, probably around 2006, I was exposing a few sellers of forgeries on various blogs. The interesting thing about those sellers of forgeries is that when they made purchases, they would buy UDA, Steiner Sports, etc., autograph items. In other words, they were financing their legitimate purchases by selling forgeries.

I would think to myself, if anyone was reading their feedback and had any common sense, they should be questioning that seller. But no one ever did...except me.

sago
02-14-2014, 06:09 PM
IMO, Steiner, and by extension, all private/show signings are akin to the new car or new book markets. They lose value as soon as they leave the place of sale.

The resale market for these items is below the paid amount, almost without exception.

However, their demographic seems to be the population that has a large amount of discretionary income. In part, it is also the greedy athletes whose demands drive the prices up for collectors.

D@v1d Dav1s

thetruthisoutthere
02-14-2014, 06:34 PM
Below is a thread I wrote just this past December.

An instance where an Ebay seller used a Steiner Sports COA to list and eventually sell their Derek Jeter forgery.

I immediately alerted Steiner Sports to the auction. They never lifted a finger.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/derek-jeter-autographed-cap-forgery-ebay-seller-baseballsfieldofd

The above has occurred more times than I can remember. Steiner Sports has never followed up.

That was, and will be, the last time I will ever contact Steiner Sports about an issue.

RichardSimon
02-14-2014, 07:52 PM
Way to go Leon.
You do not need those people.

callou2131
02-14-2014, 08:10 PM
Maybe they could have Eli Manning and the Giants authenticate the items.

bobbyw8469
02-14-2014, 08:23 PM
I am not happy with the way Steiner is jerking around a fellow collector over a lost/stolen item that was in their care!! If you don't know what I am referring to, go across the street and see how they handled one of our peers.

parker1b2
02-14-2014, 08:39 PM
In 2009 my family all chipped in and got me a seat from Yankee Stadium for my birthday. My wife was the point person in dealing with and ordering it from Steiner. Seat was supposed to arrive in June I believe but kept being delayed. My wife communicated with them on several occasions and she said they were rude, sometimes never returned phone calls etc. it was to be a surprise and winded up coming 2 months late. She said it was some of the worst customer service she ever saw, and on top of that they called here from time to time to tell her about other items they have to sell. Finally she told them to stop calling and she would never purchase from them again.

Based on this and there way overpricing I will not deal with them. Besides if there is something you really want you can usually find it on ebay or at an auction for half the price about a year later.

ooo-ribay
02-14-2014, 08:52 PM
I'd rather not deal with people who can afford to sell in Skymall Magazine :rolleyes:

Gary Dunaier
02-15-2014, 12:01 AM
Given what's been posted here, it's interesting to note that there's a sign at the entrance of the Yankees-Steiner Collectibles store in Yankee Stadium telling fans not to take pictures

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2713/4031253452_6a9a42509d_z.jpg
(Photo taken October 19, 2009. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/14504460@N02/4031253452/in/photolist-79eecS-a2gLno).)

What have they got to hide?

sbfinley
02-15-2014, 02:30 AM
I'll preface this by saying I own nothing from Steiner. I have made one purchase from them before - a Christmas gift for a friend 2-3 years back. So...

1. Why are they overpriced? The market dictates price and if there wasn't a market for what they have to offer then they likely would not still be in business nor thriving which it seems they are. $500 for a single signed ball might seem absurd to many people here, but it's all relative. Cardboard pictures of long dead ball players change hands for up to five figures just on this site. There is a vast majority (basically everyone that isn't us) of the world population that would find that absurd. If someone wants it, they will pay for it. They are not the be all - end all. Steiner has had a long relationship with Mariano Rivera and Derek Jeter. From what I understand Rivera was a fair chance TTM and a great IP signer. Jeter was usually RTS TTM, but with patience you could get him IP. Just recently someone posted a half dozen Jeter signed RC's in the BST for less than a $100 each. You can get what they offer elsewhere often for cheaper, but people still go to them. More power to them.

2. Why is it their responsibility to police the hobby? If I were to purchase something from Steiner, because of their reputation, I would not have second thoughts about the validity of the product. There was the recent GU flap with Giants gear, but Steiner was operating in good faith with a pro sports franchise. If B&L Auctions dealt in and were offered memorabilia from a pro sports franchise to auction off would I be safe to assume they would be accepted in good faith? I have been a member of this forum for almost seven years and honestly this side of the board can turn into a train wreck. There are a handful of people who want to police and protect the hobby, and I do not doubt for a second their intentions. Yet you call auctions out, you call items out, you call each other out, and you threaten each other with lawsuits. Some of you make fighting a sport. It's tiring. Why would Steiner want to deal with that. If PSA had to personally deal with every cracked slab, fake flip, or fake cert out there your 45 day submissions would take eight months - not four. You want good faith when purchasing a product? Go directly to the source. (That might be grounds for issue 1)

thetruthisoutthere
02-15-2014, 06:33 AM
I'll preface this by saying I own nothing from Steiner. I have made one purchase from them before - a Christmas gift for a friend 2-3 years back. So...

1. Why are they overpriced? The market dictates price and if there wasn't a market for what they have to offer then they likely would not still be in business nor thriving which it seems they are. $500 for a single signed ball might seem absurd to many people here, but it's all relative. Cardboard pictures of long dead ball players change hands for up to five figures just on this site. There is a vast majority (basically everyone that isn't us) of the world population that would find that absurd. If someone wants it, they will pay for it. They are not the be all - end all. Steiner has had a long relationship with Mariano Rivera and Derek Jeter. From what I understand Rivera was a fair chance TTM and a great IP signer. Jeter was usually RTS TTM, but with patience you could get him IP. Just recently someone posted a half dozen Jeter signed RC's in the BST for less than a $100 each. You can get what they offer elsewhere often for cheaper, but people still go to them. More power to them.

2. Why is it their responsibility to police the hobby? If I were to purchase something from Steiner, because of their reputation, I would not have second thoughts about the validity of the product. There was the recent GU flap with Giants gear, but Steiner was operating in good faith with a pro sports franchise. If B&L Auctions dealt in and were offered memorabilia from a pro sports franchise to auction off would I be safe to assume they would be accepted in good faith? I have been a member of this forum for almost seven years and honestly this side of the board can turn into a train wreck. There are a handful of people who want to police and protect the hobby, and I do not doubt for a second their intentions. Yet you call auctions out, you call items out, you call each other out, and you threaten each other with lawsuits. Some of you make fighting a sport. It's tiring. Why would Steiner want to deal with that. If PSA had to personally deal with every cracked slab, fake flip, or fake cert out there your 45 day submissions would take eight months - not four. You want good faith when purchasing a product? Go directly to the source. (That might be grounds for issue 1)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Yours is appreciated.

RichardSimon
02-15-2014, 06:36 AM

My answers to Steve's points.
1 - they are dealing with people who are hooked on this stuff and they know that in selling to them they can get away with the prices that they do. Then the real market takes over and look at what happens to the prices then. Do you know any really educated collectors who actually pay them what they are asking?
2 - Maybe it is not a "responsibility" but I would think it would be a very good business practice to try and make some effort to help keep the business that they are in cleaner than it is. That benefits everyone in it, the ones they sell to, the real collectors and all others who enjoy it and make a living from it..

bender07
02-15-2014, 07:46 AM
Keating overcharges but I've yet to hear anyone claim he's doing the hobby a disservice (btw, he's not, he charges what he wants to in a free market).

I personally wouldn't buy anything from Steiner but to cast them in a negative light due to their marketing methods and supposed lack of action in cleaning up the hobby seems unfair.

bobbyw8469
02-15-2014, 09:03 AM
How about casting them in a negative light due to an internal theft of a fellow collector's very valuable item????

bender07
02-15-2014, 01:09 PM
How about casting them in a negative light due to an internal theft of a fellow collector's very valuable item????

Don't know what you're referencing.

Cfern023
02-15-2014, 01:29 PM

I'd like to hear or read more about this.

bobbyw8469
02-15-2014, 01:45 PM
Here is the thread. It makes me sick to my stomach.....

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=908573

Fuddjcal
02-15-2014, 02:24 PM
Good for you Leon!
Steiner is part of what is wrong with our hobby.
They are pricing the kids out and once we are done collecting where will the hobby be?

$300 for a Jeter or Maddox ball- like they need the extra $$$$

Charlie.
Not to mention they can't seem to purchase ink pens that don't disappear in front of your eyes on single signed 500.00 balls......F them

HRBAKER
02-15-2014, 02:41 PM

YIKES!
That is a cautionary tale.
Hoping for the best outcome.

Exhibitman
02-15-2014, 04:56 PM
I consider their kind of created collectible to embody all that is wrong with collecting, specifically how it has gone from an almost scholarly pursuit to a simplistic quest for the bux. Collecting for me has always been as much about the history and context as the item. Manufactured collectibles lack both. I have about as much regard for their items as for the ones I "create" every morning; both are crap.

HRBAKER
02-15-2014, 05:19 PM
I consider their kind of created collectible to embody all that is wrong with collecting, specifically how it has gone from an almost scholarly pursuit to a simplistic quest for the bux. Collecting for me has always been as much about the history and context as the item. Manufactured collectibles lack both. I have about as much regard for their items as for the ones I "create" every morning; both are crap.

I'm with you on that.

bender07
02-15-2014, 05:19 PM
So they don't cater to the right type of collectors based on our standards, so they're not worth doing business with?

I don't like the new shiny baseball cards but that doesn't mean those who currently collect it won't, one day, want to collect what we deem as the acceptable stuff?

bender07
02-15-2014, 05:25 PM

Sounds ugly but it appears it's moving towards closure per the op.

bobbyw8469
02-16-2014, 05:41 AM
If you call closure going to court and getting lawyers involved, then yes, I guess that is closure. I think it will take as long as the Yankees jacket owner took in court however.

bender07
02-16-2014, 05:57 AM
If you call closure going to court and getting lawyers involved, then yes, I guess that is closure. I think it will take as long as the Yankees jacket owner took in court however.

I didn't see that they were going to court, that's unacceptable for sure.

jimjim
02-16-2014, 06:02 AM
No way. This website is better than that. Have you seen their pricing structure and discounts? They mark up the price then give you a 10% off code. Pitiful. They are a company for the casual collector or somebody desperately wanting that Mo or Jeter autograph. Not for us!

RichardSimon
02-16-2014, 08:08 AM

Love that last line :D.

RichardSimon
02-16-2014, 08:08 AM
No way. This website is better than that. Have you seen their pricing structure and discounts? They mark up the price then give you a 10% off code. Pitiful. They are a company for the casual collector or somebody desperately wanting that Mo or Jeter autograph. Not for us!

+1

RichardSimon
02-16-2014, 08:45 AM

Maybe someone can create a registry for that :D.

Exhibitman
02-17-2014, 02:16 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Yes but they are also entitled to MY opinion.

ooo-ribay
02-18-2014, 08:55 AM

Adam, you hit the nail on the head! Even tho my collection is basically 1950-2000 (ie. not pre-war), I am "all about" the history. Even within those somewhat recent 50 years, there are many mysteries to be solved when it comes to the origins and lineage of items. This Steiner stuff is total crap. If you want a Jeter autograph.....stalk the dude! :D

novakjr
02-18-2014, 10:43 AM
So they don't cater to the right type of collectors based on our standards, so they're not worth doing business with?

I don't like the new shiny baseball cards but that doesn't mean those who currently collect it won't, one day, want to collect what we deem as the acceptable stuff?

I get where you're going with that...BUT it's wrong. This stuff isn't opening doors for people to enter the legitimate collecting world. If anything it's hindering it. Bad experiences go a long way. Say one of these people thought about collecting on a more than just casual basis, the first thing they're gonna go do, is see how their "investment"(or in this case manufactured collectible) is doing value-wise. They're gonna see that the thing is worth half of what they paid, and they're not even gonna bother.

It's the same effect that the 80s and 90s have had on the hobby. EVERYONE lost money. It's typical for many to lose interest in their teens, and eventually come back to the hobby. Hell, it's why most of us are here. BUT for the casual guy, looking to feel it out, the second he sees that his '89 UD Griffey that was once over a hundred bucks, barely gets $15. Or that '85 McGwire Topps that he mowed lawns for a summer to buy for over $300(at one point) can be had for less than $10, sometimes $5. Or his $100+ '86 donruss Canseco, that he begged and pleaded to be his big Christmas gift as a child, often sells for less than $5, he's out..

Now on the flip side, my childhood collection wasn't all that great. Sure I liked the rookies, but most of my collection is what I got in packs.. I never had the big $ items. The chance to relive my childhood and get those once expensive cards for pennies on the dollar, is what drew me back in.. And then my collecting took a natural course to spending with reckless abandon again. But it's all in good fun, so who cares.

Now back to a Jeter auto. A kid or guy who gets one in person at a game, that's the guy that's may join the hobby. He sees that this awesome moment in his life, and cherished collectible from it, has some value. That's the guy that will continue to cherish it, and look to amass more items to cherish.. Not the guy who feels like he got ripped off..

This manufactured crap, not only ruins the experience for people over the long haul. BUT the contracts that the players sign for the exclusive rights to their autographs, often lead to players not signing. Thus removing and/or limiting the possibility of these cherished moments for young and/or inexperienced fans, that may ultimately lead them into the hobby.

As a kid, I could go to any game, and pretty much get just about any signature I wanted. Everyone signed, and it was always a memorable experience getting to meet your favorite players.. No matter how big and popular they were. Nowadays, forget about it. Kids these days have been robbed of these passing moments with their heroes.. And to an extent Steiner and others like them have stolen these opportunities from this and future generations..

parker1b2
02-18-2014, 11:26 AM
I get where you're going with that...BUT it's wrong. This stuff isn't opening doors for people to enter the legitimate collecting world. If anything it's hindering it. Bad experiences go a long way. Say one of these people thought about collecting on a more than just casual basis, the first thing they're gonna go do, is see how their "investment"(or in this case manufactured collectible) is doing value-wise. They're gonna see that the thing is worth half of what they paid, and they're not even gonna bother.

It's the same effect that the 80s and 90s have had on the hobby. EVERYONE lost money. It's typical for many to lose interest in their teens, and eventually come back to the hobby. Hell, it's why most of us are here. BUT for the casual guy, looking to feel it out, the second he sees that his '89 UD Griffey that was once over a hundred bucks, barely gets $15. Or that '85 McGwire Topps that he mowed lawns for a summer to buy for over $300(at one point) can be had for less than $10, sometimes $5. Or his $100+ '86 donruss Canseco, that he begged and pleaded to be his big Christmas gift as a child, often sells for less than $5, he's out..

Now on the flip side, my childhood collection wasn't all that great. Sure I liked the rookies, but most of my collection is what I got in packs.. I never had the big $ items. The chance to relive my childhood and get those once expensive cards for pennies on the dollar, is what drew me back in.. And then my collecting took a natural course to spending with reckless abandon again. But it's all in good fun, so who cares.

Now back to a Jeter auto. A kid or guy who gets one in person at a game, that's the guy that's may join the hobby. He sees that this awesome moment in his life, and cherished collectible from it, has some value. That's the guy that will continue to cherish it, and look to amass more items to cherish.. Not the guy who feels like he got ripped off..

This manufactured crap, not only ruins the experience for people over the long haul. BUT the contracts that the players sign for the exclusive rights to their autographs, often lead to players not signing. Thus removing and/or limiting the possibility of these cherished moments for young and/or inexperienced fans, that may ultimately lead them into the hobby.

As a kid, I could go to any game, and pretty much get just about any signature I wanted. Everyone signed, and it was always a memorable experience getting to meet your favorite players.. No matter how big and popular they were. Nowadays, forget about it. Kids these days have been robbed of these passing moments with their heroes.. And to an extent Steiner and others like them have stolen these opportunities from this and future generations..

+100.... I was one of those kids in the 80s and 90s who's childhood cards are not worth anything. Luckily I started to trade my cards in the early 90s to my friends for their autographs, and never really stopped collecting since. I can say that those friends who I went to shows with, stood in line forever to get autos, and hawked players at games for autos are no longer collecting and stopped pretty much in High School.

Gary Dunaier
02-21-2014, 12:59 PM

It's not just that. The new ballparks seem to be designed in a way intended to minimize actual fan-ballplayer contact. For example, at Citi Field, the player's entrance is fenced off, and for those players who do choose to sign after the game, the height of the fence around the players' parking lot prevents fans from having a real "I got to meet a ballplayer" experience - Eric Young, Jr. as shown in the photo below, but it applies to all players...

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2878/10295529874_8875fe884a_z.jpg
(Photo taken September 29, 2013. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gary_dunaier/10295529874/).)

David Atkatz
02-21-2014, 03:23 PM

As a kid, I could go to any game, and pretty much get just about any signature I wanted. Everyone signed, and it was always a memorable experience getting to meet your favorite players.. No matter how big and popular they were. Nowadays, forget about it. Kids these days have been robbed of these passing moments with their heroes.. And to an extent Steiner and others like them have stolen these opportunities from this and future generations..Spot on.