PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell if game used glove?

ctownboy
02-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Hello all,

I found this glove at a store a few days ago and didn't pay too much attention to it. I saw that it was a Louisville SLugger and that it had a name written on it in ink (I know kids do this and have bought other gloves with names written on them before). I checked eBay to see if these gloves were selling for much, thinking that I might be able to buy it and then flip it.

When I went back to see if the glove was still at the store and to give it a good look, I found that not only did it have a name written in ink on it but also that same name, Steve Dixon, was sewn into it with red thread. I immediately knew that this might be more than just a regular glove.

I bought the glove and came home and found that Steve Dixon was a relief pitcher who played two years with the Cardinals in the early 1990's. I also found pictures of some of his ball gloves. In most of the pictures, the glove was black leather.

My glove is brown leather but the same type of glove, a G125 P4G.

So, if this is a game used glove how can I tell?

David

khkco4bls
02-13-2014, 02:08 PM
Might be game used and autographed

ooo-ribay
02-13-2014, 02:10 PM
Looks good, but I wouldn't know if there's much of a market for it....

drcy
02-13-2014, 07:58 PM
For minor players, their names names sewn or branded on the equipment will strongly suggest it was made for them personally. Same with Pre-War bats for lesser known and minor league players-- if the lesser player's name is branded on the bat it was probably made for that player. Store models would have Babe Ruth's or Edd Rousch's name not Joe Schmoe's who played one and a half years for the A's and the other 12 in the minors. One good thing about collecting minor players' stuff.

ooo-ribay
02-13-2014, 08:59 PM
For minor players, their names names sewn or branded on the equipment will strongly suggest it was made for them personally. Same with Pre-War bats for lesser known and minor league players-- if the lesser player's name is branded on the bat it was probably made for that player. Store models would have Babe Ruth's or Edd Rousch's name not Joe Schmoe's who played one and a half years for the A's and the other 12 in the minors. One good thing about collecting minor players' stuff.

I treasure my Joe Schmoe gamer :D

ctownboy
02-13-2014, 09:37 PM
drcy,

Thank you.

After looking up Steve Dixon on baseballreference.com and finding that he DID play in the majors but for only two seasons and a total of six games (five innings with an ERA of 28.80) I kind of figured this had to be a pro glove. The only question was whether it was game used in the Majors.

Like I said, I have found a couple of pictures of his baseball cards from his MLB years and the glove he is wearing on them is black leather. I also found where a black leather glove with his name stitched in the side sold at auction a couple of years ago. That glove was a Louisville Slugger TPX G125 P4G like mine.

So, my question was, if this was game used in the Majors how could I tell since he only appeared in six games? Or, could this have been a glove he used in the Minors......

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

David

Michael B
02-13-2014, 09:44 PM
drcy,

Thank you.

After looking up Steve Dixon on baseballreference.com and finding that he DID play in the majors but for only two seasons and a total of six games (five innings with an ERA of 28.80) I kind of figured this had to be a pro glove. The only question was whether it was game used in the Majors.

Like I said, I have found a couple of pictures of his baseball cards from his MLB years and the glove he is wearing on them is black leather. I also found where a black leather glove with his name stitched in the side sold at auction a couple of years ago. That glove was a Louisville Slugger TPX G125 P4G like mine.

So, my question was, if this was game used in the Majors how could I tell since he only appeared in six games? Or, could this have been a glove he used in the Minors......

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

David

David,

A possible route is to use Smalling's Address Book and write him a letter with a picture of the glove and ask him about it. There may also be someone on the forum who has Smalling and will send you the address.