PDA

View Full Version : steiner jeter signed

JoeyF1981
02-12-2014, 05:40 PM
Getting ready to purchase a derek jeter signed baseball but dont know if I should go with a steiner one or one with a jsa or psa cert. Does steiner have a contract deal with jeter that makes any with a steiner coa sell for more?

MikeKam
02-12-2014, 07:07 PM
You'd definitely get a bit more if you were trying to resell a Steiner Jeter over a JSA/PSA Jeter.

yanksfan09
02-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Just make sure you don't go to Steiner website or you may have to sell a kidney first! check out Ebay, or maybe post a WTB on BST...

Mr. Zipper
02-12-2014, 08:15 PM
Probably not a good time to buy. Like during the Rivera farewell tour, prices will be jacked.

MGHPro
02-12-2014, 08:20 PM
I have an in person signed side panel ball if you are interested. No cert but its real.
Matt

HRBAKER
02-13-2014, 11:39 AM
With Steiner you are already buying at the top of the market IMO, add to it he recent retirement announcement - the planets are lining up for overspending IMO. OTOH you know it's real and you would be able to sell it, remains to be seen how you can recoup.

jimjim
02-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Wait until after he retires. Prices will come back to earth.

shelly
02-13-2014, 02:54 PM
Forty more years unless something happens. Wait untill it comes back where it belongs.:)

dapro
02-13-2014, 03:30 PM
I got couple steiner balls last year. I would look for a psa or jsa cert ball, because stiener is way over priced.

Maddog
02-14-2014, 01:19 PM
I remember speaking with one of Brandon Steiner's Sr. Mgr's a number of years ago and he said that Steiner Sports ( back then it was Last Lick's) signed Jeter to an exclusive contract that called for them to pay the Turn 2 Foundation a nice fee. Not sure if that was on an annual basis Most likely not) or over a set period of time but the $$$ was BIG and would explain why they need to charge what they do.
They must be moving the product because based on the fee I was told and the price they want for just a ball they would need to sell over 2k of them just to break even!

JoeyF1981
02-14-2014, 05:46 PM
whats a typical price for a non-inflated jeter signed ball?

Fuddjcal
02-15-2014, 12:35 PM
You'd definitely get a bit more if you were trying to resell a Steiner Jeter over a JSA/PSA Jeter.

I disagree Mike,

90% of the new Steiner balls you see have disappearing blue ink. The autograph disapears right in front of your eyes. Old jeter balls wth bobby brown AL are 100 times better IMHO

Maddog
02-15-2014, 01:09 PM
Couldn't it just be the type of pen they use?

I have seen the Steiner "oops" sales and yes the ink did seem to disappear into the ball. If this was the case with any pen then all balls will have this problem.
I haven't had any problems with the good ole Bic Blue Stick pens but have seen problems with their Black ones and especially when the newer Gel pens are used.

thetruthisoutthere
02-15-2014, 01:46 PM
Here is one of my four Derek Jeter Scoreboard rookie signed baseballs.

All four of mine are still bold, but yet the majority of these that I have seen on Ebay over the years have faded dramatically.

Are collectors displaying them where they shouldn't?

Runscott
02-15-2014, 02:04 PM
Here is one of my four Derek Jeter Scoreboard rookie signed baseballs.

All four of mine are still bold, but yet the majority of these that I have seen on Ebay over the years have faded dramatically.

Are collectors displaying them where they shouldn't?

My guess is that it's more the ink and the leather than where it's displayed. I had two balls signed in 1972 and 1973, and had each displayed for many years in my bedroom. One had a nice panel where the signatures always looked fresh, and another panel where the signatures faded over time until they were completely non-existent. The other baseball was signed by two different teams, using two different pens. The signatures from one pen bled over time but eventually stopped and never faded. The signatures from the other pen are still fresh and beautiful - results were the same on both panels of the second ball.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
02-16-2014, 10:22 PM
Couldn't it just be the type of pen they use?

I have seen the Steiner "oops" sales and yes the ink did seem to disappear into the ball. If this was the case with any pen then all balls will have this problem.

I haven't had any problems with the good ole Bic Blue Stick pens but have seen problems with their Black ones and especially when the newer Gel pens are used.

This is what happened to the ball Koufax signed for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimjim
02-17-2014, 04:49 AM
I think it has to do with a combination of the pen type and how the balls are signed. I have written Steiner about the vanishing ink and made some suggestions on pen type, but I never get a response. All of the Steiner balls that I have seen that have faded ink are signed at Steiner. The other balls they sell that are signed at shows or thru third parties with Steiner just putting their sticker on them usually look fine. I am not sure what pen Steiner uses, but they need to change.

Also, if you have ever seen photos of Jeter signing for Steiner you would understand. As most of you know, most signers will take a baseball and hold it in their hand while signing it, bracing it against their chest, lap, or table, and then placing it back in the box or off to the side. Jeter seems to sign the balls while they are still in the box. They just put a dozen of boxed balls in front of him, he hunches over them and knocks them out. As you can imagine, I am sure it is much harder to sign a ball in the box and push hard on it to make sure there is a nice dark autograph. If you are hunched over just moving from boxed ball to boxed ball, I bet he is pressing lightly on the ball with the pen. This combined with the bad pens they use must lead to the fading over time. Just my opinion, but it seems to hold.

jhs5120
02-17-2014, 11:04 AM
Derek Jeter will be alive, well and signing baseballs for 40-50 more years. In that time he will sign hundreds of thousands of items (literally).

In his (probable) 80 year lifespan, you are choosing the 10 month period of the most inflated prices possible to purchase this baseball.

I would wait.

Scott Garner
02-17-2014, 11:06 AM
Derek Jeter will be alive, well and signing baseballs for 40-50 more years. In that time he will sign hundreds of thousands of items (literally).

In his (probable) 80 year lifespan, you are choosing the 10 month period of the most inflated prices possible to purchase this baseball.

I would wait.

+1000 Amen

jimjim
02-18-2014, 09:28 AM
Agree, agree, agree.

I would rather drop $300 on an autographed ball like Kirby Puckett with HOF inscription, which I know is rare and limited instead of the Steiner Jeter/Mo machine.